WB: "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" to be Released in 2D Formats, Not 3D

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
October 08, 2010, 02:24 PM

WB has issued a press release regarding the decision to release the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film in a 2D format for conventional and IMAX theaters.  The first half of the final Harry Potter film was originally slated to be converted into 3D during post production, however, as the press release notes, "Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality."

The full press release is as follows:

Warner Bros Pictures has made the decision to release “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1” in 2D, in both conventional and IMAX theaters, as we will not have a completed 3D version of the film within our release date window. Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality. We do not want to disappoint fans who have long-anticipated the conclusion of this extraordinary journey, and to that end, we are releasing our film day-and-date on November 19, 2010 as planned. We, in alignment with our filmmakers, believe this is the best course to take in order to ensure that our audiences enjoy the consummate “Harry Potter” experience.
Producer David Heyman said, “For 10 years, we have worked alongside Alan Horn and the studio, whose priority has always been to preserve the integrity of Jo Rowling’s books as we have adapted them to the screen, and this decision reflects that commitment.”
Director David Yates continued, “This decision, which we completely support, underscores the fact that Warner Bros. has always put quality first.”
As scheduled, on July 15, 2011, we will deliver to conventional and IMAX theaters our final installment of the film franchise, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2,” in both 2D and 3D formats.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

I’m ridiculously happy that it will NOT be released in 3-D!!! I absolutely hate 3D and cannot wait to see it at midnight in 2D!!! Woop woop!

Posted by hpfan89 on October 08, 2010, 05:32 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

“I really couldn’t care less” :)

Posted by Matea on October 08, 2010, 05:33 PM report to moderator

That doesn’t bother me. I wasn’t planning to see it in 3D anyway.

Posted by Ratorr on October 08, 2010, 05:49 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

@Jp Gagen: the thing is, when you’re budgeting time on a film you’re supposed to allow for glitches. I think a better question would be: did the wb not understand how LONG it takes to do a 3D conversion?

and I think you’re right, they will release it in 3D when it’s finished. and avatar-like, they will make more money than God…and don’t even get me started on how fishy that reality is to me right now. would be an even bigger “tentpole” release, right?

Posted by abandonedboyjon on October 08, 2010, 05:54 PM report to moderator
218013_10150157243293459_46389518458_6655174_5491948_n_thumb

I understand, by the way, some people going to be desappointed, for sure and I understand them too, it would have been interesting to see the 2 parts in 2D & 3D…!§!

Posted by HogwartsHP on October 08, 2010, 06:00 PM report to moderator
Angiebumliac_hpdh_021_thumb

Good. I hate this 3D fad anyway.

Posted by mollywobbles23 on October 08, 2010, 06:06 PM report to moderator

Bummer! Ah well, less expensive in conventional theater.

Posted by Dawna on October 08, 2010, 06:29 PM report to moderator
Dh_unofficialstills_023_thumb

I’m so happy it’’s not in 3D. I hate 3D. It’s to distracting.

Posted by gryffindor18 on October 08, 2010, 06:31 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

That is dissapointing. But atleast we still have the Deathly Hallows! It wouldn’t really have made a difference, afterall Harry Potter is Harry Potter.

Hpmaggie2_copy2_thumb

YAY!!!! I am SO happy by this news! I was really not looking forward to the 3D thing, I just don’t get everyone’s love affair with it. I HATE the glasses, they make it really hard for me to focus on just enjoying the film, and I MUCH prefer a really good IMAX film to one that’s been ruined with 3D. Inception was FABULOUS and didn’t need 3D to make it so. This is, to me, wonderful news, and I’m also glad to see they evidently learned their lesson about moving the movie dates. Can anyone imagine the uproar if they’d tried, 41 days out from the expected release? OMG!

If anything, it makes more sense to only have the second half in 3D anyway, since that’s going to be all the battle stuff. I would still prefer just a really good IMAX 2D version, but I can understand doing 3D more in that instance.

Good call, WB!

Posted by Headmistress LemonFaerie on October 08, 2010, 06:43 PM report to moderator
121_3293_thumb

@abandonedboyjon yes they usually budget for glitches, but the thing is DH wasn’t meant to be in 3D. It was after Avatar and everything that they announced the 3D (in February) but they didn’t finish filming Part 2 until June. James Cameron is currently working on a 3D post-convert for Titanic and basically in order to do it right, you need about 8 months to a year. The final film for DH was probably not ready until about July or August at the earliest and so they didn’t really have enough time to do it properly. If 3D had always been the plan, they would have allowed more time, but since it was not until after they were mid-production that they made the decision, it hadn’t been worked into the schedule. They probably thought they would have enough time, but it turned out they didn’t. I am extermely happy with this outcome, because I have been wary of 3D post-converts since “Clash of the Titans” and “the Last Airbender.” I’m glad the producers/WB stuck with their work of “if it wasn’t going to be good, we wouldn’t do it”

Posted by JP Gagen on October 08, 2010, 06:58 PM report to moderator

Don’t mind that the movie isn’t in 3d, but I just find the timing really weird. Why wait a month before the movie comes out to make a decision on whether or not its gonna be in 3d.

Posted by Bradyboy on October 08, 2010, 07:02 PM report to moderator

Headmistress LemonFaerie, you didn’t have to see it in 3d.. they were offering it in 2d as well.

Posted by Bradyboy on October 08, 2010, 07:03 PM report to moderator

I think this was smart! Not disappointed at all 3D! 3D is not necessary for truly good cinema and the movies converted to the 3D format have not looked great.

Posted by doughboy6390 on October 08, 2010, 07:06 PM report to moderator

Well this is a disappointment. I wonder if they will have any 3d parts like OOTP and HBP had. At least Part 2 will be in 3D and that seems to be where the majority of the action is going to be anyways. Still disappointed.

Posted by dobby_rocks on October 08, 2010, 07:11 PM report to moderator

"I think we've got her! Just give me two seconds in the library -- just to make sure!"...[br]"Oi!" Ron called after her. "We've got our History of Magic exam in ten minutes! Blimey," he said, turning back to Harry, "she must really hate that Skeeter woman