WB: "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" to be Released in 2D Formats, Not 3D

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
October 08, 2010, 02:24 PM

WB has issued a press release regarding the decision to release the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film in a 2D format for conventional and IMAX theaters.  The first half of the final Harry Potter film was originally slated to be converted into 3D during post production, however, as the press release notes, "Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality."

The full press release is as follows:

Warner Bros Pictures has made the decision to release “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1” in 2D, in both conventional and IMAX theaters, as we will not have a completed 3D version of the film within our release date window. Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality. We do not want to disappoint fans who have long-anticipated the conclusion of this extraordinary journey, and to that end, we are releasing our film day-and-date on November 19, 2010 as planned. We, in alignment with our filmmakers, believe this is the best course to take in order to ensure that our audiences enjoy the consummate “Harry Potter” experience.
Producer David Heyman said, “For 10 years, we have worked alongside Alan Horn and the studio, whose priority has always been to preserve the integrity of Jo Rowling’s books as we have adapted them to the screen, and this decision reflects that commitment.”
Director David Yates continued, “This decision, which we completely support, underscores the fact that Warner Bros. has always put quality first.”
As scheduled, on July 15, 2011, we will deliver to conventional and IMAX theaters our final installment of the film franchise, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2,” in both 2D and 3D formats.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Spade_a_thumb

Well, it is not a problem, whether to watch the film in 3D or 2D, as long as I have the chance to watch it.

Posted by Blutiful on October 08, 2010, 04:05 PM report to moderator
Marguerite_thumb

I couldn’t care less! Old 2D is good enough, provided we get to see it on November 19!

Posted by Despina on October 08, 2010, 04:17 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

I would looking forward to a 3D look for the film too… but at least they know that they couldn’t get it done in a high quality version. So I’m still happy with just the 2D look.

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on October 08, 2010, 04:25 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

IMAX is impressive and WB messed up as usual.

Posted by Girlraven1 on October 08, 2010, 04:30 PM report to moderator
121_3293_thumb

I don’t think you guys realize how LONG it takes to do a proper 3D post conversion. They are saying they could have done it, but it would have been absolute crap (like Clash of the Titans) but rather than release a crappy one or delay the release, they’re just gonna go with 2D, WHICH IS WHAT WAS INTENDED lol. Honestly they’ve been talking about this for a while so it’s not like they didn’t budget time. I’m sure as soon as they were able, they’ve been working on the 3D, but they were having some challenges and it was going to take longer to get it right.

You can bet that they’re going to re-release it in 3D once its done, probably before Part 1 comes out. So please give WB the credit it deserves for putting the quality over money finally and giving us what we want.

Thanks!

Posted by JP Gagen on October 08, 2010, 04:34 PM report to moderator
Dementor-at-the-window_thumb

Well, I’m absolutely thrilled grin In my city they tend to release 1-2 copies without the dreadful Polish dubbing for these sorts of films, the rest is all dubbed. This was all fine until 3D came along… With Alice in Wonderland I had to choose whether to hear Johnny Depp with some awful Polish voice or whether I was going to see it in 3D despite not liking 3D. I was really worried I’d have to make a similar choice with Deathly Hallows, so I’m totally thrilled grin

Posted by rozoweskarpetki on October 08, 2010, 04:35 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-20070328093850961_thumb

After the disaster with “Last Airbender” I am deeply thankful they aren’t going to screw up one of our beloved movies with a poor quality 3-D print. Maybe during an anniversary release someday they can release it in 3-D as a publicity stunt – I’ll go see it then. :) Thank goodness for IMAX though – I want to see it on the big big screen!!

Posted by Bless_the_children on October 08, 2010, 04:40 PM report to moderator
Bneerhsg_thumb

Yayy, I hate 3D! Putting 3D glasses over real glasses isnt fun. :/

Posted by AlecsWeasley on October 08, 2010, 04:48 PM report to moderator
Whomping_willow2_thumb

3D sucks in quality always so who cares!!!!!

Posted by WillowSauce on October 08, 2010, 05:14 PM report to moderator

I am personally glad that it is in 2D because I wear glasses, and it makes it really hard to see!

Posted by ExpectoPatronum512 on October 08, 2010, 05:19 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Well, it looks like I’m in the minority here, but I really like 3D and was disappointed when only the first few minutes of HBP turned out to be in 3D. What’s not clear to me from this press release is whether they mean that they’ve given up on a 3D version altogether or if it will come out later than the promised release date. Maybe they are hedging their bets, waiting to see what the reaction is to this announcement. If there will be a 3D version eventually, I might just wait for it – I’m not one who has to see a movie the day it comes out.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on October 08, 2010, 05:22 PM report to moderator
Ootp_tumblr_thumb

im just glad they didnt move back the release date. i wasnt planning on seeing it in 3-D anyway…ill survive. :)

Posted by hermy007 on October 08, 2010, 05:24 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lp9f45jqbm1r0sjoeo1_500_large_thumb

good decision, better than pushing the date back :)

Posted by aval on October 08, 2010, 05:26 PM report to moderator
38093_1525112213973_1419668696_2107419_4307673_n_thumb

REALLY dissappointed but truth be told I’d rather have good quality :)

Posted by Sohumdore on October 08, 2010, 05:26 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

I was actually looking forward to seeing it in 3D and IMAX but I’m glad they’re taking the time to convert it.

Posted by da_member0808 on October 08, 2010, 05:28 PM report to moderator