WB: "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" to be Released in 2D Formats, Not 3D

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
October 08, 2010, 02:24 PM

WB has issued a press release regarding the decision to release the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film in a 2D format for conventional and IMAX theaters.  The first half of the final Harry Potter film was originally slated to be converted into 3D during post production, however, as the press release notes, "Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality."

The full press release is as follows:

Warner Bros Pictures has made the decision to release “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1” in 2D, in both conventional and IMAX theaters, as we will not have a completed 3D version of the film within our release date window. Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality. We do not want to disappoint fans who have long-anticipated the conclusion of this extraordinary journey, and to that end, we are releasing our film day-and-date on November 19, 2010 as planned. We, in alignment with our filmmakers, believe this is the best course to take in order to ensure that our audiences enjoy the consummate “Harry Potter” experience.
Producer David Heyman said, “For 10 years, we have worked alongside Alan Horn and the studio, whose priority has always been to preserve the integrity of Jo Rowling’s books as we have adapted them to the screen, and this decision reflects that commitment.”
Director David Yates continued, “This decision, which we completely support, underscores the fact that Warner Bros. has always put quality first.”
As scheduled, on July 15, 2011, we will deliver to conventional and IMAX theaters our final installment of the film franchise, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2,” in both 2D and 3D formats.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

George_ron_thumb

Fine by me, I don’t like live action movies in 3D.

Posted by blue_rogue on October 08, 2010, 03:37 PM report to moderator
Gred2_thumb

I agree with all of you guys:
I’m not very fond for 3d
I prefer quality
I would have hated if they postponed DH1
…. and yes, WB should planned ahead..

Posted by cenyt on October 08, 2010, 03:38 PM report to moderator
Hp-trio-dhx_thumb

bit sad it won’t be in 3D.but for once:yes!they made the right decision.I’m glad they’re sticking to the original release date (maybe they learnt from the HBP delay :P) and making sure the quality is the best. Good one, WB

Posted by xxIBelieveInNarglesxx on October 08, 2010, 03:38 PM report to moderator

That decision must have cost a mint!!

Posted by rotfang07 on October 08, 2010, 03:40 PM report to moderator
Dailyprophet_thumb

JP Gagen said it perfectly. They made the right decision to release it in 2D on the promised date. They’re committed to preserving the quality and integrity of the franchise. Plus, I’ve heard the movie is so beautiful and goregeous and awesome that it doesn’t need 3D at all.

Posted by Richie Gagen on October 08, 2010, 03:43 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_books_thumb

if there was any movie that deserved to be in 3D it’s definitely Deathly Hallows. Dislike this news.

Posted by Anna Weasley on October 08, 2010, 03:47 PM report to moderator
Beijingsquare_thumb

All I can say is thank goodness they’re not delaying it. Does everyone remember how much it sucked when they announced the delay for HBP?

Posted by karrijustina on October 08, 2010, 03:47 PM report to moderator
002_thumb

mmmm curious…very curious…… in a few months they (WB) will sell versions for 3D systems of the two films… only for those with 3D systems at home .. WB attacked again….
MARKETINGALWAYS MARKETING
AI AM VERY… DISSAPOINTED¡.

Posted by lordharbinger on October 08, 2010, 03:52 PM report to moderator

good. 3d is a gimmick that brings nothing to a film. definitely going to see it in IMAX tho.

Posted by noxiousCaitSith on October 08, 2010, 03:52 PM report to moderator

I generally find 3D to distract away from films. And I hate those annoying glasses. I’m all all for this decision. But I’m sorry for everyone who was looking forward to it.

Posted by cherylann on October 08, 2010, 03:52 PM report to moderator
Leaky_thumb

AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA! Yes! It’s a victory of reason! Good on WB to see that the results could have trashed up the film. Brilliant, actually. This makes me so happy. DH part 1 in all its colourful glory.

Posted by NinnyTreetops on October 08, 2010, 03:55 PM report to moderator
Thistletopiary_thumb

I suspect that they may have heard the feedback from the fans that 3D is NOT the highest priority about the film — that faithfulness to the story and to the announced release date are more important. Personally I don’t need it to be in 3D; just looking forward to seeing part one in 42 days [or so]!

Posted by bettb [ITC!] on October 08, 2010, 03:58 PM report to moderator
Potter_thumb

I’m actually happy about this decision, I’m not a fan of the whole 3D thing, I don’t see the point. Plus, by releasing in 2D, it’s opening up to other viewers that can’t watch 3D for motion sickness and headaches, like my mum. I’ve seen every movie with her so far and I really didn’t want 3D to be the thing that stopped that tradition.

Posted by Sauvium ROAR!? on October 08, 2010, 03:58 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

EPIC FAIL. if only because they couldn’t get it together, i mean, how could they not get it together? i was really excited about this. i appreciate that they are pulling it because of quality, but who didn’t budget the time correctly? this is the second time they’ve disappointed us specifically in this way, why did heyman even mention alan horn? he is the definition of FAIL in the hp world.

rant over, acceptance begun…at least the tickets will be cheaper.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on October 08, 2010, 03:59 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

@sauvium ROAR!? – just so’s you know, they were going to release it in 2D, 3D and IMAX 3D. so you would have been able to see it with your mom anyways.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on October 08, 2010, 04:03 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"I'm supposed to do this [i]for free[/i]?"[br]"Well, yes," said Hermione calmly, taking a sip of her drink. "Otherwise, as you very well know, I will inform the authorities that you are an unregistered Animagus. Of course, the [i]Prophet[/i] might give yo