Daniel Radcliffe Laments "Heartbreaking" Recent Teen Suicides

Radcliffe
Posted by: Rosi
October 04, 2010, 07:46 PM

MTV has an article today with a written statement from Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) in the wake of the recent suicides of Tyler Clementi and 13-year-old Seth Walsh.

The actor gave the following written statement to MTV News:

Learning about the suicide deaths of Tyler Clementi, Seth Walsh, Asher Walker, Billy Lucas and Justin Aaberg has been heartbreaking for me. These young people were bullied and tormented by people that should have been their friends. We have a responsibility to be better to each other, and accept each others' differences regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ability, or religion and stand up for someone when they're bullied.
Speaking further about the "responsibility to be better to each other," Radcliffe continued with some advice for those concerned about depressed and suicidal friends or family members:
When a friend is feeling depressed or says they're thinking of killing themselves, we must take it seriously and get them help. [...] My deepest sympathies go out to the families and friends of these excellent young people. And to all the young people who are being bullied right now, you are not alone. Call the Trevor Lifeline at 866 4-U-TREVOR, because there's always someone there who will listen and who can help.
Dan Radcliffe has previously taken part in a PSA for the Trevor Project and spoke in February about his involvement with the nationwide suicide prevention telephone helpline for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (GLBTQ) youth in the United States. The 24/7 Trevor Helpline can be contacted in the United States by calling 866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386).

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Tumblr_mvvctnikjv1qcanm1o1_r1_250_1__thumb

@ZoeyLuna
That doesn;t change the fact that many people who say they are in these positions are really just using it as a means of getting attention. I’ve known far too many people who used the real stories of bullied teens to get attention. I will always be biased because more often then not the people who I’ve talked to who said they were bullied and “Suicidal” were just being dramatic cause they wanted more attention. I am not saying that every suicidal person is seeking attention, I’m just stating that the majority of people are. Thank you for explaining the reasons for your opinions, but I’m never going to be able to look at someone who says they are depressed without thinking that they are lying, it’s just not possible.

Posted by MJB™ on October 07, 2010, 02:34 PM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

@MJBDE15,

I’ve been reading your comments and the responses you’ve gotten. Some good-hearted Leaky posters have spent a lot of effort trying to dissuade you. I think they should stop trying.

You talk about the town you moved to and say the people were closed-minded. Going by your posts, I can’t help but think you are also closed-minded. You say the majority of people who talk of suicide are lying just to get attention. Unless you’re citing some scientific study, how can you possibly know that? I belong to a race that is routinely stereotyped by people who should know better. It drives me up the wall when I hear others make gross misstatements about people they do not know!!!

What happened with Tyler Clementi and others is really very sad. It’s a shame you feel you have to demean them.

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on October 07, 2010, 03:49 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mvvctnikjv1qcanm1o1_r1_250_1__thumb

@KB Prez [ROAR!]
Hmmm… I beleive I said PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, you obviously need to re read my post. Also, i agreed that people should stop trying to change my point of view and I would stop trying to persuade them to see my side, again, you OBVIOUSLY need to re read the posts.

Posted by MJB™ on October 07, 2010, 04:03 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mvvctnikjv1qcanm1o1_r1_250_1__thumb

@KB Prez [ROAR!]
By the way your roaches/ignorance statement was very creative, congratulations.

Posted by MJB™ on October 07, 2010, 04:07 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mvvctnikjv1qcanm1o1_r1_250_1__thumb

To whomever it may concern:
I’m bored with this discussion. I will make everyone happy by saying “I’m wrong, judgemental, and incensative while you are all right, saintly, and perfect role models.” Can we be done now?

Posted by MJB™ on October 07, 2010, 06:01 PM report to moderator

We are so lucky to have such a wonderful young man like Dan representing the HP franchise.
These books and movies have a huge following so lets hope all this helps to stop this tragedy. It’s really sad we are living in the XXI century already and there are still people bulling others to the point of making them wish to die… I know how depression feels, and it’s very difficult but we have to keep living, death is not the solution, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. To your family, friends or if you feel alone, there are great organitations like The Trevor Proyect that can help you! Please, ask for help, don’t think you are alone!

Posted by ethanHP on October 07, 2010, 06:25 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Well, MJBDE 15, if you can draw global conclusions based on anecdotal personal experience, so can I: In my experience, most people who claim not to care about what other people think of them are lying to themselves big-time. It’s just a defense mechanism, and if they’re lucky, they will live long enough to see it break down. But it will be a more painful process than if they had admitted to needing other human beings right from the get-go.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on October 08, 2010, 11:49 AM report to moderator
3106762989_1_7_lisbs0hy_thumb

It’s horrible for their families .
Dan’s right to fight with Trevor Project.

Posted by CDR on October 08, 2010, 11:59 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_mvvctnikjv1qcanm1o1_r1_250_1__thumb

@WeenyOwl:
I feel like I’ve just been psychoanalyzed, but guess what, i don’t care ;-)

Posted by MJB™ on October 08, 2010, 01:34 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

@MJBDE I can’t help wondering why you joined a community that is a celebration of the Harry Potter books which of course deal with friendship and love and the fight against prejudice.

I don’t think any of us who have been discussing this topic would actually consider ourselves to be saintly, perfect role models, but we do recognise the need to be sensitive towards others trials and tribulations and the different ways this affects them, we are all individuals and should accept that the way one person deals with a problem is not going to be the way everyone else does. I don’t really understand why you felt it necessary to comment on this news post at all since you think that those who commit suicide are weak (and I do believe you said something about a waste of time too) you knew what you said would be controversial as you said this yourself, but you appear to be irritated by anyone commenting on what you said.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on October 08, 2010, 03:17 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

I didn’t say ‘you,’ I just said ‘most people.’ See what happens when people start to overgeneralize based on anecdotal information?

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on October 08, 2010, 05:32 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mvvctnikjv1qcanm1o1_r1_250_1__thumb

@moglet [ITC!]
Okay, I’m going to be honest. I admit that I knew my post was going to ,obviously, provoke outrage. I was wrong (and no, i’m not being facitious), and I have a tendency to not be able to keep my mouth shut when I have a strong opinion. So I apologize, to everyone and anyone who feels insulted. As my mother often sais, “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” Once again, I apologize and hope that you will allf rogive me for being such a jerk.

Posted by MJB™ on October 08, 2010, 05:39 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mvvctnikjv1qcanm1o1_r1_250_1__thumb

@moglet [ITC!]

Posted by MJB™ on October 08, 2010, 05:39 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_l7kpzso0nm1qczcnxo1_400_thumb

wow Dan’s totally right. But there’ll always be bullies…
I’m really sorry for the family and friends.

Posted by Pigwidgeon on October 15, 2010, 12:48 PM report to moderator
Neville_god_pic_thumb

Great comment Dan. Who knew Madonna did the same?

Posted by Tanderule on November 17, 2010, 09:08 PM report to moderator

"I -- I thought they were funny," Hagrid said uncertainly to Hermione.[br]"Oh, tremendously funny!" said Malfoy. "Really witty, giving us books that try and rip our hands off!"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014