Daniel Radcliffe Laments "Heartbreaking" Recent Teen Suicides

Radcliffe
Posted by: Rosi
October 04, 2010, 07:46 PM

MTV has an article today with a written statement from Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) in the wake of the recent suicides of Tyler Clementi and 13-year-old Seth Walsh.

The actor gave the following written statement to MTV News:

Learning about the suicide deaths of Tyler Clementi, Seth Walsh, Asher Walker, Billy Lucas and Justin Aaberg has been heartbreaking for me. These young people were bullied and tormented by people that should have been their friends. We have a responsibility to be better to each other, and accept each others' differences regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ability, or religion and stand up for someone when they're bullied.
Speaking further about the "responsibility to be better to each other," Radcliffe continued with some advice for those concerned about depressed and suicidal friends or family members:
When a friend is feeling depressed or says they're thinking of killing themselves, we must take it seriously and get them help. [...] My deepest sympathies go out to the families and friends of these excellent young people. And to all the young people who are being bullied right now, you are not alone. Call the Trevor Lifeline at 866 4-U-TREVOR, because there's always someone there who will listen and who can help.
Dan Radcliffe has previously taken part in a PSA for the Trevor Project and spoke in February about his involvement with the nationwide suicide prevention telephone helpline for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (GLBTQ) youth in the United States. The 24/7 Trevor Helpline can be contacted in the United States by calling 866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386).

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

I wonder how many people kill themselves because their family is so religiously conservative?

Posted by tim_2006 on October 05, 2010, 12:45 PM report to moderator

Seems to me many christians groups are to be blamed for their horrible treatment to lgb individuals

Posted by tim_2006 on October 05, 2010, 12:47 PM report to moderator

Maybe it is time to lock up parents that have gay sons and daughters

Posted by tim_2006 on October 05, 2010, 12:48 PM report to moderator
Waldohreule_thumb

Good point, moglet. I cannot believe what MJBDE15 wrote.
He totally missed the point.
@MJBDE15: How is it possible that hearing of such a tragedy the first thing that hits your mind are these kind of thoughts? I’d say that these teens probably suffered in silence and ended up with this extreme deed because they couldn’t see a way out. Being bullied is horrible. People who just like to make you feel an outcast because of a so-called diversity. I cannot believe how this phenomenon is growing. Isn’t there any respect at all?

Posted by snowyowl77 on October 05, 2010, 12:54 PM report to moderator
Luna_avatar_100x100_thumb

Thank you so very much, Dan. Your genuine spirit and kind words will have an enormous impact on many, many people today. We need to spread awareness about the bullying epidemic – something I’ve unfortunately had to experience not only in my childhood, but very recently as an adult as well. It is a widespread problem in schools, community, and in the workplace too.

Posted by ZoeyLuna on October 05, 2010, 01:05 PM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

@moglet & others,

Thank you for pointing out MJDBE15’s comments. His/her comments are further proof of what ignorance and roaches have in common. Both have been around for a long time and both will outlive us all.

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on October 05, 2010, 01:29 PM report to moderator
Bneerhsg_thumb

Right on, Dan! I loved you already, and now I love you even more! (:

Posted by AlecsWeasley on October 05, 2010, 01:30 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Bullying has been around probably forever, but one thing that a lot of the recent bullying-related suicides have in common is abuse by the perpetrators of our society’s recent advances in media, especially social media like MySpace and FaceBook. It appalls me that so many people use these tools as a way to put other people down. If the new movie about the founding of FaceBook is to be believed, the whole motivation for its creation was to ostracize girls who were not perceived as ‘hot’ enough. Even if that’s not how it really happened, it’s still obviously being used that way by thousands, perhaps millions of young people. It all seems to me like part of a growing tide of free-floating hostility in our culture. Civil dialogue seems to have gone out the window. What have we become? Think about this trend too much and it’s enough to put anybody in a suicidal mood.

Then again, Leaky is also a social network, which provides a ray of hope that it doesn’t have to be this way. The Potter fandom really seems like a community knit together by positive energy – a belief that love truly is the most powerful form of magick. I hope that everyone out there who reads these boards will make a mental commitment to take a leaf from Dan Radcliffe and confront bullying and intolerance wherever you encounter it. For instance, if you hear a friend of yours use the word ‘gay’ as an insult (which seems to be very common usage among youth nowadays), call them on it immediately! Don’t ever let intolerant behavior seem like the normal, accepted way to act.

Taoist1 correctly points out that kids who get bullied sometimes react by becoming bullies themselves, once they’re not so little anymore – the same way that abused children often grow up to become child abusers. It takes courage to stand up and say, ‘The vicious cycle breaks here, with me.’ My teenage son, who has his own history of being bullied, has just joined the Diversity Committee and the Gay/Straight Alliance at his high school, even though he knows that it may invite yet more taunting from the kids who don’t like him. I’m so proud of him! And I’m proud to be part of a fandom that consists of so many people who think seriously about issues like these and are ready to do what they can on a daily basis to make the world a little better place. I’d love to hear other Leaky readers’ suggestions about things we can do to make sure that more of these tragedies don’t happen in our communities!

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on October 05, 2010, 02:21 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Dan is such a nice person. Its a horrible thing to read about when people hate life so much that they take it away for themselves. Murder is bad enough but suicide is just so sad.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on October 05, 2010, 02:25 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mvvctnikjv1qcanm1o1_r1_250_1__thumb

@moglet [ITC!]
I’d like to point out that you don’t know me, end of discussion.

Posted by MJB™ on October 05, 2010, 02:31 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

@MJBDE15 True I don’t know you but you can’t deny what you wrote, it was very insensitive, and you may have noticed a number of people have totally agreed with me in what I said about your comments, you really do need to think before you make such a statement. Maybe you’ve never known a family which has been left in the most terrible grief when a much loved person has commited suicide, I have unfortunately known of this on 2 occasions. I’ve also had a friend who was clinically depressed who could not see a way to ever feel better, she spoke of suicide as a way out, and she was not trying to gain attention or be dramatic, she was in such a low state that she felt she could not go on like that indefinitely, fortunately she received treatment which eventually did work, it took a long time to find the thing which worked for her.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on October 05, 2010, 02:58 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

when i read about tyler in usa today i wondered when Dan and the Trevor people were going to respond publicly

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on October 05, 2010, 03:13 PM report to moderator
82up9n_thumb

@MJBDE15: I agree with Moglet. That’s a horrible thing for you to say, these people may feel that no one understand them and they could be depressed about something, and they may suicide is the only option for them, and it’s not fair for you to say things like that.

Posted by Darth Vincenza on October 05, 2010, 03:30 PM report to moderator
82up9n_thumb

*they may feel

Posted by Darth Vincenza on October 05, 2010, 03:31 PM report to moderator
Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

I have to say i agree with both Moglet and WeenyOwl, as well as everyone else who expressed similar opinions as theirs.

I’ve been in that situation, for a variety of reasons, and it’s not something to be treated in such a manner as MJBDE15 reacted. Completely insensitive.

Kudos to Dan for raising awareness about this.

Posted by Mr. Brightside on October 05, 2010, 03:47 PM report to moderator

"It's Tonks."[br]"-- Nymphadora Tonks, who prefers to be known by her surname only," finished Lupin.[br]"So would you if your fool of a mother had called you 'Nymphadora,'" muttered Tonks.