MPAA Adjusts Rating Description for "Deathly Hallows: Part 1"

DH Film
Posted by: Mel
October 27, 2010, 05:01 AM

As you may recall, the MPAA rated "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" as PG-13 for "sequences of intense action violence and frightening imagery." They have since amended their reasoning for giving "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" a PG-13 rating by adding "brief sensuality."

"Deathly Hallows: Part 1" will be released November 19th.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

P4093399_thumb

At least it remains a PG-13!

Posted by Natalia {ROAR} on October 27, 2010, 05:07 AM report to moderator
My_quote1_thumb

Yeah at least it is still PG:13

Posted by thundermountain7*Roar* on October 27, 2010, 05:13 AM report to moderator
For_your_consideration_thumb

@those above
true beans, true beans :P

Posted by Harrypotterultrafan on October 27, 2010, 05:35 AM report to moderator
Happy_thumb

Why is it ‘brief sensuality’? I don’t recall any ‘brief sensuality’ in the book.

Posted by Beatrice Jean Granger on October 27, 2010, 05:41 AM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

few!!!! i thought they would change it to PG and take a bunch of good scenes out! thank goodness they didnt! although i think they shouls amend that again and combine both terms of fictional violence and brief sensuality! cuz they need both according to the trailer!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on October 27, 2010, 06:17 AM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

It looks like it is a 12A in the UK http://www.bbfc.org.uk/BFF270749 as it “Contains moderate fantasy violence and threat”

Posted by roonwit on October 27, 2010, 06:27 AM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

Does the MPAA use a stopwatch to decide if the sensuality is brief??

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on October 27, 2010, 08:27 AM report to moderator
Leaky_thumb

It’s 12 in Germnay (which also means – since CoS, funily enough – that children aged 6-11 are allowed to come if one of their legal guardians accompanies them).
I hope that doesn’t mean they’ve cut too much – or even more for the German version – because my gut feeling says it should have been a 16 rating.

Oh wait, I don’t care because I’m goona see it on the Netherlands in English anyways. Nevermind :D

Posted by NinnyTreetops on October 27, 2010, 08:34 AM report to moderator
Th_names_thumb

I wonder if it’s because of the locket scene…?

Posted by Ginevra86 on October 27, 2010, 09:08 AM report to moderator
Myleaky2_c_thumb

Spoiler alert (although most of us have probably heard this already):

I’m guessing the “brief sensuality” is for the scene where the locket Horcrux shows a vision of Harry and Hermione to Ron. I’m pretty sure I’ve heard that these apparitions will be naked in the film (not sure if they were explicitly described as such in the book). Not that you’ll actually be able to see any of their private parts (then it would be rated R, I imagine), but it will be suggested. And since the Harry and Hermione visions will be kissing each other as they taunt Ron, there’s your scene of brief sensuality.

Posted by Bandersnatch on October 27, 2010, 09:09 AM report to moderator
Headshot_thumb

brief sensuality….lol
I’m so excited

Posted by Lysh on October 27, 2010, 09:35 AM report to moderator

oh god… my mum wants to come along to see the movie with me.. akward scenes much?

Posted by LittleBayPony on October 27, 2010, 09:54 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Whow! Thats good. I thought they would change it to PG and cut out all the action

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on October 27, 2010, 10:01 AM report to moderator

Oh the MPAA… Censorship at it’s… uh worst? best? Hard to say really.

Posted by Emerson Nidigith on October 27, 2010, 10:05 AM report to moderator

@ Batrice Jean Granger….the Deathly Hollows book I read did.
That scene where Voltemort is causeing Ron to see “visions”
of Harry and Hermione kissing is very senual in the book…to
see it on film it probubly looks even more so.

I am sure the MPAA thught twice about it and decided to cover all bases
on certain scene so as to not occure rath for parents later.
They can just state …they were warned ahead of time…per the extended rating.

Posted by Jeannine on October 27, 2010, 12:25 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Harry spotted Uncle Vernon at once. He was standing a good distance from Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, eyeing them suspiciously, and when Mrs. Weasley hugged Harry in greeting, his worst suspicions about them seemed confirmed.