Scholastic Interviews Dan Radcliffe and Emma Watson

Actor Interviews
Posted by: Mel
October 22, 2010, 08:47 PM

Scholastic has a new, very in-depth interview with Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) which covers a broad range of topics from the filming of "Deathly Hallows" to how they felt about the the film series coming to a conclusion. Both discuss the hardest action scene they had to film, and both mention scenes from "Deathly Hallows":

Q: In all the movies, there have been some amazing action sequences. What was the scariest stunt you had to do?
Emma:
There's a scene where we're [trapped] in Gringott's Bank and Hermione has this crazy idea to jump on the back of a dragon. She's on this second story balcony and she jumps off the balcony onto the dragon's back and doing that stunt was terrifying because I essentially had to jump off—it was a mat that caught me—but just doing the jump and everything was pretty scary.

Q: Daniel, what was the hardest scene for you?
Daniel:
To be honest, a lot of scenes I've completely forgotten about because you film something for 18 months, and if there's something in the trailer from the 1st month of filming, it's like, "Oh my God. I'd totally forgotten about the scene." I suppose getting beaten up by Ralph Fiennes [who plays Voldemort] in the 2nd part was physically quite demanding. What I love about that scene is that it's the moment that I've been wanting to happen for years. I've always wanted a moment when the magic is not enough and he just tries to kill Harry physically by beating him up. So that was a challenging scene, but I mean, there was a lot of physically challenging stuff in the film, but I love that. I love running up and down and falling over and getting hit around. I love all that.
The stuff early on in the 1st part with myself and Rupert [who plays Ron] where we're fighting and hating each other, that was emotionally challenging, because it's very hard to hate Rupert Grint, even in acting.

Both Watson and Radcliffe also discuss the make-up process for the Epilogue scene in "Deathly Hallows: Part 2":

Q: There is a lot of secrecy as to what your make-up looks like for the older versions of you. Can you tell us about what went into looking older?
Emma:
It was a pretty lengthy process. I think it was like over 2 hours. But it was really subtle. They had like this thin film that they put on our faces which went into our wrinkles to make all of that happen. Really subtle details made a huge difference. I wore fake teeth and a wig, but it all looked really real, so it was cool.
Daniel: Obviously, I was concerned about the aging scene and I was concerned about how we were going to do it and everything, but I tell you the makeup looks fantastic. Particularly, I hate to say it, but I'm very pleased with my makeup. Harry ages much more flatteringly than Ron does. I think as soon as they presented Rupert with the fat suit he was like, "Make it bigger." We had great fun doing that scene and I think it turned out very well.

Additionally, both actors discussed a party Watson held to celebrate the end of filming all the Harry Potter movies:

Q: Emma, you threw a party for the whole cast on the last day. Can tell us about the festivities?
Emma:
I threw a dinner. I just bought a new apartment in London. I tried to make it look really nice. I bought tons of flowers. I lit candles everywhere and everyone had place settings and I made food for everyone to come and eat and also I put together . . . I made like a book for everyone and I had silly questions like who was your first crush on the set? What was your best memory? What was your worst memory? Who was your favorite director? . . stuff like that, that's just really fun. And everyone had a piece of paper to write it all down, but we all discussed our answers and went around and listened to people's stories and what they remembered. It was just a really nostalgic evening basically, just all of us sharing stories. It was a really nice evening and it was warm weather, so we sat outside as well, and I bought disposable cameras for the tables, so everyone could use those, and it was just fun. It was just chill.
Daniel: It was lovely. It was fantastic. Emma cooked and she was very impressive. She was very much the hostess with the mostest. I've never had a dinner party in my life—the idea terrifies me, so I would have been so intimidated by that, but yeah, she got sort of the core of the young cast members and we all went round to her house and it was great. It was really, really nice, very dripping with nostalgia, all reminiscing about early days and how young and cute and innocent we all were. Yeah, it was a really, really good night and we were all very grateful. 'Cause to be honest with you, if you talked to me or Rupert, neither of us would have had the wherewithal to put together a dinner party, so the fact that she did was really appreciated.

Also, they were asked what they would do if J. K. Rowling decided to write another Harry Potter book:

Q: If J.K. Rowling called you up tomorrow and said, "I’m writing another book. I decided to come out of retirement and write more Harry Potter, would you want to star in that next movie?"
Emma:
Oh my goodness. No, I wouldn't. It feels so complete what we've done. It would just be weird. No. No way. It would just be really strange.
Daniel: No, probably not is the answer because 10 years is enough. I think the films have reached a rather perfect and wonderful conclusion, and I have had assurances from [Rowling] that she will not be doing that.

There is much more to the interview and you can read it all here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Actor Interviews News

Hni_0022_thumb

Thats so nice of emma :) I wonder what it would of been like for emma and the other cast members to talk about who they had a crush on haha, emma having a crush on tom is so cute :)

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on October 23, 2010, 11:50 PM report to moderator

excellent article! finally an interview with some substance and great questions that aren’t too nosy. Emma’s got some intiative cooking for everyone throwing that awesome party. I bet some tears were shed during it. Loved the bits about the Wizarding World too

Posted by hermioneweasley17 on October 23, 2010, 11:50 PM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

Awwww, this interview is so cute!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on October 24, 2010, 05:10 AM report to moderator
Diagon_thumb

Aw I love this! I’m so excited for DH to come out and I really can’t wait to see it, and I just love the end of filming party Emma threw :) I think that was a really nice, sweet thing to do to bring everyone together to reminisce.

Posted by Sigourney♥ on October 24, 2010, 07:03 AM report to moderator
For_your_consideration_thumb

Brilliant :)
i love emma :)

Posted by Harrypotterultrafan on October 24, 2010, 07:44 AM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

It’s a nice interview. I’ve got to believe these folks are getting tired of doing them though. It won’t end until some time after part 2 comes out …
It is funny though because I am just as fascinated by the stories as ever.

Posted by 2tal - SpiritMagic174 on October 24, 2010, 01:12 PM report to moderator
Draco_malfoy_icon

OMG I LOVE this interview, I wanna save it forever!!:)
Aww it´s was so sweet of Emma to have a party for them all, it made me so happy to read that!:D
They´re like a big family!:)

Posted by jessyginny on October 24, 2010, 03:02 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_002_thumb

Fabulous interview! And Emma’s party sounds like a wonderful send-off. I am SO pumped for the movie next month!!!

Posted by Agrippa1 on October 24, 2010, 06:37 PM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

Good interview, good stuff — oh to be a fly on the wall at that dinner party – to listen to the memories, the crushes, the laughs!!

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on October 24, 2010, 09:51 PM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

It seems a bit strange that Voldemort resorts to beating Harry … I don’t know … I mean from the trailer we already know that film-Voldemort is going to be more hands-on ( I am referring to the scene where Fiennes grabs Radcliffe’s face asking “Why do you live?”) In an interview Yates or Heyman said that they deemed the fight scenes between Harry and Voldemort too short in the books – so they wanted to flesh them out a bit … but isn’t the ultimate show-down all about the Elder Wand?

Ah well, but maybe I should stop speculating. I got my ticket yesterday which makes it all the more real for me.

Posted by siena on October 25, 2010, 08:45 AM report to moderator

I would have loved to sit beside all of them and just listen to these stories. MAybe better than the big wrap-party in the studios.

Posted by ginnyshiel on October 25, 2010, 09:40 AM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

so bummed about their attitudes on it but thats their choice so its alright

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on October 25, 2010, 02:31 PM report to moderator

If I was either one of them I think that I would do another movie, because obviously it wouldn’t be a huge role. They would just be there for show. But I’d do see what they mean because it might be strange for them to leave with a sense of completeness and then just show up again.

Posted by PotionsMaster7 on October 26, 2010, 10:57 PM report to moderator

Only got around to reading the interview now. Oh, how I would have loved to be at that dinner party!

Posted by honigmuffin on October 29, 2010, 06:49 PM report to moderator

"I don't want the gold," said Harry in an expressionless voice. "You have it. Anyone can have it. I shouldn't have won it. It should've been Cedric's."