J. K. Rowling Receives Hans Christian Andersen Literature Award in Denmark, Updated: Video and Images

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
October 19, 2010, 04:02 PM

Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling was on hand in Odense, Denmark today to be the first recipient of the Hans Christian Andersen Literature prize.  The BBC has video online from the event, which features Ms. Rowling receiving the award as well as her acceptance speech.   Watch right here!

Update 2:  J. K. Rowling's full speech can now be viewed via this link.

The first set of photos from the event are starting to appear online and can be seen via this link to our Image Galleries.

Update: MSNBC now has a report online which notes:
She is the first recipient of the 500,000 kroner ($93,352) award, which was handed out Tuesday at a ceremony in Odense, Andersen's hometown.
The prize is given to a person who can be compared with Andersen, the Danish writer who was born in 1805 and wrote some 160 fairy tales and poems before his death in 1875.
As we reported previously, this honor is given in the name of the prolific author of classic fairy tales such as The Princess and the Pea, The Emperor's New Clothes, The Ugly Duckling  and many more beloved stories.  We expect more online from the event shortly, so please stay close to Leaky for the latest.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Potter_thumb

Go J.K. !! :)
She completely deserves it.

Posted by Sauvium ROAR!? on October 19, 2010, 04:33 PM report to moderator
Hp-lupin-wand-short-100_thumb

Hurray for JK!

Posted by Lucida on October 19, 2010, 04:35 PM report to moderator
Thharrydoesnotsuck_thumb

I was there. It was absolutely amazing and she deserves the award more than anyone else.

Posted by Lynndis on October 19, 2010, 04:46 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

and let’s not forget Hans Christian Anderson’s “The Little Mermaid” and “The Matchstick Girl.” gave me nightmares when i was 11, LOVE IT!

this just makes me want jo to publish something so badly. anything. her shopping list would do.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on October 19, 2010, 04:51 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

That is so awesome!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations Jo, you deserve it more than anyone that comes to mind (and really no one does, except you)!!!!! Love the outfit as usual!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on October 19, 2010, 05:05 PM report to moderator
Ed-in-chief_thumb

The article from www.dr.dk stipulates that Jo is suffering from writer’s block – what she actually said during the press conference was “after I finished Harry Potter, I had the oppposite of a writer’s block. Suddenly, I had all those ideas, which I set aside because of Harry Potter.”

I saw a clip from the press con – it was just TOTALLY botched by the reporter.

Posted by chikitcorpuzvesterbaek on October 19, 2010, 05:08 PM report to moderator

Congratulations! =D

Posted by honigmuffin on October 19, 2010, 05:13 PM report to moderator
Thharrydoesnotsuck_thumb

I agree with chikicorpuzvesterbaek!
Honestly I was disgusted by the way that they turned it around. I read the article too and it’s completely bs. Pardon my French, but it is. I mean come on. I know I’m a Dane, but other Danes should learn english and learn how to listen as well.

Posted by Lynndis on October 19, 2010, 05:15 PM report to moderator
Ed-in-chief_thumb

@lynndis: they should! LOL part of me wants to send a mail to DR and tell them to send more competent interviewers. there was this segment in TV2, hvor kids were given a chance to ask theie own questions to jo – and they did a better job. pretty insightful questions from kids. jo was right, children are usually the most demanding , yet the most fulfilling readers as well.

Posted by chikitcorpuzvesterbaek on October 19, 2010, 05:25 PM report to moderator
Ed-in-chief_thumb

Ed-in-chief_thumb

Posted by chikitcorpuzvesterbaek on October 19, 2010, 05:26 PM report to moderator
Ed-in-chief_thumb

SORRY – touchpad gne haywire!

Posted by chikitcorpuzvesterbaek on October 19, 2010, 05:27 PM report to moderator
Radcliffe_artices_radiotimes_01_thumb

God Bless you Jo ! Just wanted to say WAY TO GO ! Keep up all the great stories!! Harry Potter will always rule in my mind & heart! He’s a lot like me!
I also feel close to Nevil & Luna also See a lot of the time I feel like I Don’t fit in anywhere ether you see I have (CP) ! I feel left out a lot. Harry tries to include everyone even if they’re different !!! That’s only one of the Many Reasons I Love Him & Dan Evey Much! And Always will 4 ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

Posted by roller on October 19, 2010, 05:28 PM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2010-11-20_at_12

JK deserves it!!!!!!!!!

Posted by SlyBones on October 19, 2010, 05:35 PM report to moderator
0322091528_thumb

She MUST write more Potter stories!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by taoist1 on October 19, 2010, 05:41 PM report to moderator

"Sir, why don't [i]you[/i] apply for the headmaster's job?... I expect you'd have Father's vote, sir, if you wanted to apply for the job -- [i]I'll[/i] tell Father you're the best teacher here, sir --"[br]Snape smirked as he swept off around the dungeon,