Leaky's Daily Quotedown to Deathly Hallows: 33 Days

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
October 18, 2010, 01:08 AM

There are now only 33 days left until "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I" hits theaters!  We are posting a quote from the first half of the book every day in celebration and to give us a chance to discuss and ponder the final book as it goes to film. Here is a special double quote for the weekend!

"NO!" roared Ron, causing Harry to jump into the hedge and Hermione (nose buried in a book at the tent entrance) to scowl over at them. "Sorry," said Ron, wrenching Harry back out of the brambles, "but the name's been jinxed, Harry, that's how they track people! Using his name breaks protective enchantments, it causes some kind of magical disturbance -- it's how they found us in Tottenham Court Road!"
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, "Xenophilius Lovegood"
"Just -- just to be clear," he said. "You want to leave Tonks at her parents' house and come away with us?"

"She'll be perfectly safe there, they'll look after her," said Lupin. He spoke with a finality bordering on indifference. "Harry, I'm sure James would have wanted me to stick with you."

"Well," said Harry slowly, "I'm not. I'm pretty sure my father would have wanted to know why you aren't sticking with your own kid, actually."

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, "The Bribe"

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Mad-eye-moody_thumb

I think James would have taken Harry’s side, for reasons said above, especially the point that Bless_the_children made.

Posted by eccentricalice on October 18, 2010, 10:13 AM report to moderator
Img_7524_thumb

I think that at one time, James would have thought Lupin should go with the Trio just for the adventure and glory of it all. After Harry was born, though, I think his mind would have changed. abandonedboyjon makes a very good point about James giving up his life to save his son — and his wife.

Posted by RavenclawDancer on October 18, 2010, 10:16 AM report to moderator

I believe Harry is right. His father died protecting his son, James would not have forgiven Lupin lightly for walking out on his own. But Lupin is just scared. I believe he truly loves Tonks, and he believes he is doing what is best for her & their child. But in the end, look how happy he is when Teddy is born, and how he knows Harry was right.

Posted by Dawna on October 18, 2010, 10:31 AM report to moderator

Ah, two quotes that remind us how wreckless and thoughtless Harry could sometimes be to his friends. His use of Voldemort’s name was a bit careless in light of their situation and what was at risk. But, I always found his comments to Lupin to be especially cruel because, despite Lupin’s flawed thinking, he was trying to help. The link between these two quotes is that Harry tended to be somewhat myopic when it came to Voldemort. He had trouble seeing that everyone’s future was at stake, not just his. Of course, he did also have Voldemort in his head to further cloud his judgement…

Posted by Jillxoxo on October 18, 2010, 10:33 AM report to moderator
0322091528_thumb

I hate that Tonks and Lupin die. Poor Teddy.

Posted by taoist1 on October 18, 2010, 10:42 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Sad lupin. i never wanted him to die.

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on October 18, 2010, 12:08 PM report to moderator

that was a really good wondering Jillians642. James had a different relationship to Lupin than Harry, being more of an equal, which is partly why Harry’s remarks are so scandalizing, Lupin being the one who taught him how to make a patronus, a friend of his father, sort of like an uncle/mentor. Still he did a huge favor to Lupin. Telling truth can hurt, get you into trouble and sometimes your friends too. The taboo on Voldemort’s name was another example of that, but more than anything it was a great literary gimmic, how else to transport the trio into the mansion, rescue Luna and Olivander and get the wand from Draco that was the true master of the elder wand. Its tricks like that that make me so amazed at JKR. think maybe she IS a witch?

Posted by dilysroot on October 18, 2010, 12:42 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

I wonder if JKR was beginning to get feedback by the time she was writing Book 7 that Lupin was just a little too perfect to be believable, and feeling like she needed to give him some ethical flaw. Up to this scene I think that he really does come off as the most morally unambiguous ‘good’ adult in the saga. He is so unfailingly thoughtful and compassionate. But because he has some self-esteem issues, it seems believable that he would be able to compartmentalize his feelings for Tonks and push her away on account of his lurking belief that he doesn’t really ‘deserve’ to be loved. And like Sirius, he misses James’s friendship so much that he is able to do some transference of that to Harry – which doesn’t make him ‘bad,’ just human.

I think JKR did a good job of making Lupin more multidimensional with this plot thread, even if the reader, like Harry, wants to give him a whack upside the head for even considering leaving his pregnant wife. Then she brings it full circle by having Lupin bond so instantly and so powerfully with Teddy once he is born. Anybody who has ever had a baby can tell you how real that force can be: When you have a kid, EVERYTHING changes (unless you’re a complete narcissistic idiot). And Lupin’s finally getting smacked with the happy stick makes it all the more heartbreaking that JKR found it necessary to sacrifice both Lupin and Tonks to make her final point about Voldemort destroying families. A perfect happy ending to the saga wouldn’t haved worked, but for my money the wreckage of this family’s well-earned, long-delayed potential fulfillment was one of the hardest ‘truths’ to take in the whole series.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on October 18, 2010, 12:47 PM report to moderator
For_your_consideration_thumb

i think that Harry was a bit unfair to Lupin here, but Lupin was stupid to want to leave his own kid and the love of his life:/

Posted by Harrypotterultrafan on October 18, 2010, 12:56 PM report to moderator
Me_desirable_1_thumb

@ PotterParish & thundermountain7*Roar* go to, http://www.fandango.com/harrypotterandthedeathlyhallows:parti_109947/movieoverview Just under the Movie title there’s a place to input your zipcode to lookup movie times at cinemas in your area. Even though the tickets aren’t for sale yet, it will give you an option to send you an email when the tickets become available (after searching for the ticket sales).

Posted by paul_hp_fan [OoM2] *ROAR* on October 18, 2010, 01:14 PM report to moderator
Luna_lovegood_oots_style_by_mcsquared42_thumb

I’m pretty sure James would have sided w/ Harry. I mean, he gave up his life for him. Wasn’t James like the “leader” of their little group? I would think that Lupin would follow suit and stick w/ his kid.

Posted by ❀ Jay K. Elle ❀ on October 18, 2010, 01:16 PM report to moderator
Slytherin_morals_3_by_mazza_909_thumb

I felt sad for Lupin here, but I still think that the things Harry said was right.

Harry was really stupid when he said Voldemort’s name later though. Why couldn’t he just shut up?:P

Posted by Lonewolf_ ^HISS^ on October 18, 2010, 02:02 PM report to moderator
Lily_evans_and_severus_snape_by_aura3107_thumb

I love Lupin but I was not happy with his behavior after Teddy was born. He was scared, but with his family was where he was needed far more than the Trio needed him. I am so proud that Harry was able to see that.

Posted by JessSnape on October 18, 2010, 02:57 PM report to moderator

I think James would have went with the trio. Why wait for V to come to you when you can go to him. the letter stated that James could not go out scene Dumbledore had his invisible cloak, which means he might have already been out and about. I also never believed that Dumbledore wanted Harry to go on alone after his death. I know it had to be a very well keep secrete but, one or two close allies would not hurt. I always felt that harry was playing up the hero card at this point in the book. they said their self that sometimes they where in over their heads.

Posted by lpierich on October 18, 2010, 03:05 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

things would have gone so much smoother if harry had let him come

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on October 18, 2010, 03:20 PM report to moderator

"Come through to the back, Harry, that's where we're making the real money -- [i]pocket anything, you, and you'll pay in more than Galleons!"[/i] he added warningly to a small boy who hastily whipped his hand out of the tub labeled: EDIBLE DARK MARKS -- T