Emma Watson Discusses Additional Scene to "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" With SFX Magazine

DH Film
Posted by: Mel
October 17, 2010, 05:20 AM

Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) has spoken with SFX magazine about a scene added to the beginning of "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" that was not in the book:

[Director] David Yates asked Steve Kloves to write this lovely scene at the beginning of the movie which is not in the book, but which I feel is very important for Hermione’s character. You see her wiping her parents’ memories in order for her to start off on the adventure with Ron and Harry. She knows that Voldemort could try to use her parents as a device to get to her in some way, which means they might be in harm’s way. So she wipes their memories so they forget she ever existed. All the photos of her around the house disappear. It’s a really tough way for the film to start but really important to see the sacrifices that she has to make.

The upcoming issue of SFX will have a behind-the-scenes feature on "Deathly Hallows: Part 1."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Well, technically, it was in the book. We just didn’t get to see it because Harry wasn’t there to witness the details. But still, I’m glad they created a scene to reveal Hermione’s situation. It makes me wonder, though, if she had any support from the wizarding community at such a difficult moment or did she have to sort out and make the decision on her own?

Posted by Jillxoxo on October 18, 2010, 10:55 AM report to moderator
Collage_thumb

I am actually excited to see this scene. Usually adding things makes me a little annoyed, but this seems like it will fit so much better then the burning burrow into the storyline.

Posted by Storeyann (ROAR) on October 18, 2010, 10:59 AM report to moderator
Deathly_hallows_symbol_thumb

Yeah, I can see how this would be a good scene. But, I really don’t trust David Yates with anything. I think maybe it would be better if they just mentioned it, like in the book.

Posted by ForTheGreaterGood on October 18, 2010, 03:06 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

what a happy thought

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on October 18, 2010, 03:19 PM report to moderator
The_master_close_up_thumb

If the scene enhances the story, I won’t mind it so much. I mean, the addition of the story of Lily’s fish gift to Slughorn was excellent.

But usually I don’t like additional scenes as evidenced by the Burrow scene in HBP & pretty much everything in Jackson’s LOTR films.

Posted by vespasian68967 on October 18, 2010, 04:05 PM report to moderator

I was mad at first when I saw that Steve Kloves was writing another scene, but when I read what the scene was… Finally they add a scene enhances the story and doesn’t distract from it. I couldn’t be happier about it!

Posted by lilylunaginerva on October 18, 2010, 04:07 PM report to moderator
Monty-python-black-knight-with-one-arm-off-794357_thumb

I honestly don’t have a problem with the Burrow scene in HBP. People say they “added a scene” but I look at it more they took the Death Eaters attacking Hogwarts at the end of the book and put it in the middle and setting it at the Burrow.

Posted by Fastbak on October 18, 2010, 04:19 PM report to moderator
Sales_calendars_2011_042_thumb

i dont think that scene is so important enough to start the film….

Posted by hermy on October 18, 2010, 04:59 PM report to moderator
Happy-dark-mark-leaky-square_thumb

People keep commenting “Technically, it was in the book because Hermione mentioned it.” I think everyone reading this page ALREADY KNOWS that Hermione mentioned it. The article states that there’s a SCENE added that wasn’t in the book. This scene was not in the book, so why the “Technically…”?

Posted by Nutty on October 18, 2010, 06:06 PM report to moderator

@ Nutty: Because the scene at least builds on information in the book, as apposed to the opening coffee shop scene added to HBP, which absolutely flies in the face of what takes place in the book.

Technically speaking.:)

Posted by Jillxoxo on October 19, 2010, 02:16 PM report to moderator
Happy-dark-mark-leaky-square_thumb

I get that the information was in the book, but the SCENE wasn’t, which was what the article said in the first place.

Posted by Nutty on October 22, 2010, 10:09 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Well I’ve seen the film, and believe me this scene was beautifully done and extremely moving, i had tears in my eyes as I watched it.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on November 10, 2010, 10:05 AM report to moderator

"Let me just say that handing out signed pictures at this stage of your career isn't sensible -- looks a tad bigheaded, Harry, to be frank. There may well come a time when, like me, you'll need to keep a stack handy wherever you go, but" -- he gave a litt