Emma Watson Discusses Additional Scene to "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" With SFX Magazine

DH Film
Posted by: Mel
October 17, 2010, 05:20 AM

Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) has spoken with SFX magazine about a scene added to the beginning of "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" that was not in the book:

[Director] David Yates asked Steve Kloves to write this lovely scene at the beginning of the movie which is not in the book, but which I feel is very important for Hermione’s character. You see her wiping her parents’ memories in order for her to start off on the adventure with Ron and Harry. She knows that Voldemort could try to use her parents as a device to get to her in some way, which means they might be in harm’s way. So she wipes their memories so they forget she ever existed. All the photos of her around the house disappear. It’s a really tough way for the film to start but really important to see the sacrifices that she has to make.

The upcoming issue of SFX will have a behind-the-scenes feature on "Deathly Hallows: Part 1."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Img_44501_thumb

can’t wait to see this.

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on October 17, 2010, 07:55 PM report to moderator
L_5026d562d71364af831a80587a64c7da_thumb

I feel this could have been included in the book, but I understand it wasn’t essential to the story to have it shown that way. However, if it HADN’T just been from Hermione’s mouth, the scene would have been incredibly emotional, and I’m glad they have added it to the film adaptation. Personally, I’ll probably bawl when I see it. In a good way.

Posted by Nicole on October 17, 2010, 08:03 PM report to moderator
The_magic_isnt_truly_gone_thumb

i think that its great they show this in the movie to actually explain how everything happens and the view into hermione`s home..i like how this movie seens to be exactly like the book from what i`ve seen so far…CANT WAIT!!!!! :D

Posted by I am totally awesome on October 17, 2010, 08:07 PM report to moderator
Deathly_hallows_symbol_thumb

another scene not from the book! they should realize these things usually turn into a disaster! but, i dont know, maybe it will be good…?

Posted by ForTheGreaterGood on October 17, 2010, 09:26 PM report to moderator

I know that Hermione really loved her parents and to erase their memory of her was a very mature and resolute act on her part. I will be touched to see the scene acted out.

Posted by Glowstick on October 17, 2010, 09:51 PM report to moderator
Harry_-_the_forest_again_thumb
  1. ForThe GreaterGood : JKR had Hermione explain all of this to Harry and Ron, so technically it truly was in the book. Did you read it ? This is a brilliant way to let viewers know just how much Hermione has sacrificed. She is an integral part of the trio and I love the additional focus on her. It also highlights exactly why she was sorted into Gryffindor instead of Ravenclaw ; her courage and bravery is evenly matched with her intelligence.
Posted by Hinkypunkmum on October 17, 2010, 09:58 PM report to moderator
Mv5bmje0njy5mte2nv5bml5banbnxkftztywnzu4mtk1

Itll be a sad but good start to the movie. It was tech. mentioned in the book, but itll be cool to see it played out. A necessary scene i think.

Posted by Beckster235 on October 17, 2010, 10:19 PM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

Hermione is so important to the entire series. Pickup any one of the books and she is there providing knowledge or direction. Her instincts are almost always spot on. Very impressive character drawing by JK!!

Posted by 2tal - SpiritMagic174 on October 17, 2010, 11:11 PM report to moderator
Ronnyhermy_thumb

I love the idea of showing Hermione doing this…it would make it all seem much more real. =]

Posted by ::Elfie:: on October 17, 2010, 11:54 PM report to moderator
Red_lips_2_thumb

I love it! I can’t wait to see this. I think it’s a really good idea that they’ve added this scene, because I’d love to see a bit of Hermione’s life at home and it’s also easier for those who haven’t read the books to understand what’s going on. I just want it to be November already.

Posted by LittleMonster on October 18, 2010, 12:32 AM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

I don’t normally like added scenes, but this totally makes sense. In the book, Hermione tells Harry that she modified her parents’ memories so they would be safe, so this fits. And it’s the kind of scene that will set the tone for the movie. Sounds like a good choice.

I remember with POA, my favorite scene was the one on the bridge where Lupin talks to Harry about his parents. It wasn’t in the book, but it always felt like it should have been.

Posted by Eeyore on October 18, 2010, 05:25 AM report to moderator
Ron-hermione-romione-3219846-1024-821_thumb

Definitely sounds like an interesting scene….Technically the scene was mentioned in the book, but not a lot of details were given. I think it will be good for the movie.

Posted by Ron&Hermione-4-ever [ROAR] on October 18, 2010, 06:44 AM report to moderator
Harry_and_ginny_thumb

It was a good thing to actually show =) I just shows how much Ron and Hermione sacrifice. Love the trio!

Posted by AbiDumbledore on October 18, 2010, 06:58 AM report to moderator

It’s good they show this particular scene. Finally something really Hermione-centric! :)

Posted by honigmuffin on October 18, 2010, 08:54 AM report to moderator

I think its a good add-in. Hermione tells Harry she did this, but we will get to see it. I wonder if they go to Australia?

Posted by Dawna on October 18, 2010, 10:23 AM report to moderator

"I went to see Professor McGonagall this morning, just before breakfast. I've decided to drop Muggle Studies."[br]"But you passed your exam with three hundred and twenty percent!" said Ron.