Emma Watson Discusses Additional Scene to "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" With SFX Magazine

DH Film
Posted by: Mel
October 17, 2010, 05:20 AM

Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) has spoken with SFX magazine about a scene added to the beginning of "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" that was not in the book:

[Director] David Yates asked Steve Kloves to write this lovely scene at the beginning of the movie which is not in the book, but which I feel is very important for Hermione’s character. You see her wiping her parents’ memories in order for her to start off on the adventure with Ron and Harry. She knows that Voldemort could try to use her parents as a device to get to her in some way, which means they might be in harm’s way. So she wipes their memories so they forget she ever existed. All the photos of her around the house disappear. It’s a really tough way for the film to start but really important to see the sacrifices that she has to make.

The upcoming issue of SFX will have a behind-the-scenes feature on "Deathly Hallows: Part 1."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

218013_10150157243293459_46389518458_6655174_5491948_n_thumb

It’s a good thing !§!

Posted by HogwartsHP on October 17, 2010, 03:50 PM report to moderator
Image_thumb

It was in the book, everyone, but only mentioned briefly. The story of how was missed by readers, as well as her private and devastating grief that she must have gone through in order to protect her parents.

I think this will highlight the pure unselfishness of Hermoine’s character, set the tone for the film, and just wow us all with such a dramatic and emotional scene that we previously weren’t expecting!

Posted by Smitch on October 17, 2010, 03:57 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

That is going to be such a sad scene to watch.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on October 17, 2010, 04:06 PM report to moderator

Aw, it’ll be such a sad scene! But I still can’t wait for the movie! November needs to hurry up and come!

Posted by EvilEmeric on October 17, 2010, 05:00 PM report to moderator
354970789b_thumb

I love this addition! It sounds like its going to be really emotional and have me crying straight away. I wish we knew more about Hermione’s home life, her parents seem really sweet and caring, so i’m really glad we finally get a proper look at them and her home. BUT STEVE KLOVES DO NOT ADD ANYTHING ELSE!

Posted by Vicki_The_House_Elf *ROAR* ϟ on October 17, 2010, 05:23 PM report to moderator
2vbx3b5_thumb

Normally I hate when they add or change scenes, but I love that they added this scene. My favorite alteration they’ve made is the way they changed Hedwig’s death to make it more meaningful.

Posted by bella vita on October 17, 2010, 05:28 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

That is an important scene! It will be very sad!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on October 17, 2010, 05:41 PM report to moderator
Hni_0022_thumb

Normally we would all be bothered but in this cause i can clearly see we are all happy :D
Instead of hermione saying she wiped her parents’ minds, like in the book, we now get to see it happen, i think its a great! addition to the story and the way it was done, with the portraits and all, sounds amazing! Cant wait! :D

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on October 17, 2010, 05:42 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

I have no problem with them adding this scene, but it does sound like they are adjusting the plot a bit by not sending the parents to Australia. That is important because just making her parents forget doesn’t protect them from Voldemort torturing them to make them tell what they know and trying to break the memory charm, whereas it should be much more difficult to find them in Australia (once Voldemort had access to Ministry and school records he could easily find out where they lived with Hermione). The other advantage of getting them to move away is that Voldemort and the Ministry are supposed to think that Hermione has gone abroad with her parents, and not in hiding with Harry.

Posted by roonwit on October 17, 2010, 05:58 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh_stills_0001_thumb

ahhh i’m gunna cry! I could never imagine doing that and then not being able to ever see them again.

Posted by HPandtheDA007 on October 17, 2010, 05:58 PM report to moderator
354970789b_thumb

OMR! Everyone go to Oclumencia, they have a loads of new photos!
Heres a link for the translated website:

Posted by Vicki_The_House_Elf *ROAR* ϟ on October 17, 2010, 06:28 PM report to moderator
Happy-dark-mark-leaky-square_thumb

This is amazing. I always loved when Hermione told Harry and Ron about this, so I can’t wait to see it actually happen!

Posted by Nutty on October 17, 2010, 06:33 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

That is a good part to add. It adds to the emotional stability Harry, Ron and Hermione need to keep in order to fight off Voldemort.
It’s great that Yates added that part. It’ll be a great part to look out for.

Poster_thumb

cant wait!!!!!!!!!

Posted by skittles on October 17, 2010, 07:17 PM report to moderator
Random-4_thumb

I was tearing up just reading this! This, when I read it in the book, was I really really realized the sacrifices that Hermione and her parents have made over the years based on Hermione’s faith in the mission (and her love for) Harry. Would I have done the same if my child as a teenager had done the same. I doubt it. I think at times that the very bravest people in the book series are the Granger parents as they have to put COMPLETE faith in their daughter AND realize that they cannot protect their daughter in any way except to do the memory wipe…..

Posted by RaytheforgottenWeasley on October 17, 2010, 07:29 PM report to moderator

"Up to the castle?" said Snape silkily. "I don't think we need to go that far. All I have to do is call the dementors once we get out of the Willow. They'll be very pleased to see you, Black... pleased enough to give you a little kiss, I daresay..."