Emma Watson Discusses Additional Scene to "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" With SFX Magazine

DH Film
Posted by: Mel
October 17, 2010, 05:20 AM

Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) has spoken with SFX magazine about a scene added to the beginning of "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" that was not in the book:

[Director] David Yates asked Steve Kloves to write this lovely scene at the beginning of the movie which is not in the book, but which I feel is very important for Hermione’s character. You see her wiping her parents’ memories in order for her to start off on the adventure with Ron and Harry. She knows that Voldemort could try to use her parents as a device to get to her in some way, which means they might be in harm’s way. So she wipes their memories so they forget she ever existed. All the photos of her around the house disappear. It’s a really tough way for the film to start but really important to see the sacrifices that she has to make.

The upcoming issue of SFX will have a behind-the-scenes feature on "Deathly Hallows: Part 1."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

That would be a very touchy start. Cant wait to see it on the screen

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on October 17, 2010, 12:34 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

That would be a very touchy start. Cant wait to see it on the screen

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on October 17, 2010, 12:35 PM report to moderator
02_twins_20-_20copy_129536961051705540_thumb

I can’t wait to see that Part!

Posted by joeys_mommy on October 17, 2010, 12:38 PM report to moderator
The_quibbler_icon_thumb

It will be a nice way to start the movie, i can’t wait for see it in the cinema!

Posted by lunatic_gry on October 17, 2010, 12:45 PM report to moderator
550090_4323789780312_303379873_n_thumb

So sad, but this new scene just makes me want to see it more!

Posted by Ariana Devins on October 17, 2010, 12:53 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lj73r1pyxz1qcgj61o1_500_2__thumb

awww! such a sad way for the movie to begin, but it will be interesting to see it.

Posted by SiriuslyluvsHarryPotter on October 17, 2010, 01:04 PM report to moderator
Iconator_1a0e5a2a006d2c78af7e716742496a56_thumb

I think is good doing this, though isn’t in the book, because is important for those who don’t read the books, understand what sacrifces she made to help harry to destroy the hocruxes, since she mentioned to harry. what she had to go through :(

Posted by worldstraveller on October 17, 2010, 01:21 PM report to moderator
All-voldemort-needs_thumb

Well, it’s not like the burning of the Barrow… I agree that this scene existed in the book or was supposed to exist. @kmac23va I think Jo told in some interview that Hermione found her parents after the Hogwarts Battle and returned them their memories.
Emma has described this scene so many times that I already immagine every recap of it)))
Can’t wait to see it in the movie! :)

Posted by Pollytomat on October 17, 2010, 01:24 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

This scene should be very touching and heartbreaking to actually see. Since we only hear about it in the book, seeing her do this will show more of how much she loves her family and Harry and Ron.

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on October 17, 2010, 01:26 PM report to moderator
Muahaha_thumb

I’m totally looking forward to that. I thought it might be more awesome if they were actually in Australia, on the beach or something, and her parents said “Hermione this was a great idea, Australia for our anniversary”. Then Hermione smiles sadly… “Obliviate.” They stare at her a moment, say “Excuse me, can I help you?” Hermione shakes her head and wanders away from the camera…a flock of seagulls fly across the camera, and she’s gone.

But photos disappearing is cool too. :)

Posted by ScottMan on October 17, 2010, 01:32 PM report to moderator
41483_1763995488_9057_q_thumb

im so glad we will see this part in the movie. I don’t think there’s going to be a dry eye in the theatre!

Posted by Silvery Doe on October 17, 2010, 01:33 PM report to moderator
I-quote_hogwarts0144_thumb

Great thing to add, I can’t be bothered to properly echo what everyone else has said, about it being talked about in the book. Sure will be sad to see..

Posted by BewareoftheNargles {WBM} on October 17, 2010, 02:18 PM report to moderator

I don’t know how I feel about it being at the very beginning of the movie. I don’t know, I just don’t want to see Hermione first. I want to see Harry at the Dursley’s or something pivotal to the main plot, such as Narcissa and Bellatrix at Spinner’s End. I hope they keep the scene at Malfoy Manor as the very beginning. It’s not going to ruin the whole movie for me or anything if it is, I’m just being kind of nitpicky and “traditional”.
Other than that, I’m likin that their adding scenese like this that were only mentioned in the book

Posted by FGFG on October 17, 2010, 02:35 PM report to moderator
Http_3a_2f_2f24

awesome :-))

Posted by Emmaria on October 17, 2010, 02:35 PM report to moderator
Monty-python-black-knight-with-one-arm-off-794357_thumb
don’t know how I feel about it being at the very beginning of the movie. I don’t know, I just don’t want to see Hermione first. I want to see Harry at the Dursley’s or something pivotal to the main plot, such as Narcissa and Bellatrix at Spinner’s End.[/quote].

It’s supposed to be a montage of all three at the beginning, Harry, Ron and Hermione. The Dursleys leaving Privet Drive and Hermione obliviating her parents which were in the book and Ron outside the Burrow(seen in the Part 1 trailer).

Posted by Fastbak on October 17, 2010, 03:29 PM report to moderator

"Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"