Emma Watson Discusses Additional Scene to "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" With SFX Magazine

DH Film
Posted by: Mel
October 17, 2010, 05:20 AM

Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) has spoken with SFX magazine about a scene added to the beginning of "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" that was not in the book:

[Director] David Yates asked Steve Kloves to write this lovely scene at the beginning of the movie which is not in the book, but which I feel is very important for Hermione’s character. You see her wiping her parents’ memories in order for her to start off on the adventure with Ron and Harry. She knows that Voldemort could try to use her parents as a device to get to her in some way, which means they might be in harm’s way. So she wipes their memories so they forget she ever existed. All the photos of her around the house disappear. It’s a really tough way for the film to start but really important to see the sacrifices that she has to make.

The upcoming issue of SFX will have a behind-the-scenes feature on "Deathly Hallows: Part 1."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

Good thoughts.

Posted by budgie on October 17, 2010, 10:21 AM report to moderator

@kmac…no, Hermione also told Harry and Ron she would (if they were successful) go to Australia and lift the charm from her parents. She wouldn’t forget them.
Very pleased to read that Harry leaving the Dursleys will be in the movie, and wonder if the dursleys leaving their home for protection will be there as well.

@Sauvium, I’m usually gritting my teeth and feeling irritated at Yates, but technically….this scene was in the book, nice to see it expanded.

Posted by DobbyWinkyKreacher on October 17, 2010, 10:29 AM report to moderator

This was part of the story so I don’t mind them adding this to the movie. It’s when they take out scenes to add things that where never part of the story that bothers me.

Posted by Ratorr on October 17, 2010, 10:53 AM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

I’m glad they’ve added this scene to the film. My one disappointment with the HP books is that JKR told us so little about Hermione’s home life. For one thing, I would love to have known how her parents reacted when they discovered Hermione was a witch. Being Hermione’s parents must have been very interesting to say the least. I’ve not been a fan of Yates’s HP work so far, but I think adding this scene was a good choice.

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on October 17, 2010, 10:56 AM report to moderator
Hermione_96

Well it kinda was in the book just not explicitly shown, just explained but this way it’s going to have a much bigger impact. I can’t wait to see this it’s going to be soo sad

Posted by Alec wick. *ROAR* on October 17, 2010, 11:06 AM report to moderator
Believe_in_yourself_thumb

I don’t mind that such a scene is added, either. As said, it is part of the story. My only objection is that it sounds like a heartbreaking scene. I might be in tears, even before the movie really kicks off ;o)

Posted by Tarana on October 17, 2010, 11:10 AM report to moderator

So glad this is in the movie. One thing in the books I’ve never really been fond of is the absence of Hermione’s parents- we only see them briefly a couple times at Diagon Alley, and I think once at King’s Cross.

Posted by andarocketship on October 17, 2010, 11:19 AM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

That’s a great scene to add in!

Posted by Rin68nyr on October 17, 2010, 11:41 AM report to moderator

Sounds like a sad scene, but a great addition to the film. I love it when they put in these great moments that develop characters beside Harry. It really fleshes the story out more L)

Posted by asfaloth12 on October 17, 2010, 11:57 AM report to moderator
Crew_bottom_thumb

well my favorite character is hermione i’m glad that there focus on her because we only see the life school of hermione not what look her house or her parents ( we see them but not very a lot)

Posted by Lost Northern on October 17, 2010, 11:58 AM report to moderator
Bneerhsg_thumb

This is great, I can’t wait to see it. I wish November would hurry.

Posted by AlecsWeasley on October 17, 2010, 12:00 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

im actually glad that they are adding this seen, which feels weird to say but i am!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on October 17, 2010, 12:04 PM report to moderator
Hp_buddyicons_caught_bellamlfy_96x96_129322477441953550_thumb

wow for once david yates put an extra scene in that IMPROVES the movie…i might die from the shock.

Posted by HalfBloodPrincesss (Jenna Evans) on October 17, 2010, 12:14 PM report to moderator
0322091528_thumb

@Sauvium ROAR!? = Ditto

Posted by taoist1 on October 17, 2010, 12:23 PM report to moderator
Hermioneavatar_thumb

this will be so sad!!! can’t wait though :) i’m glad that they have at least one scene that focuses on hermione cause she doesn’t get nearly as much attention as ron or harry throughout the rest of the series.

Posted by angelcat59 on October 17, 2010, 12:30 PM report to moderator

"I love hearing Mum shouting at someone else," said Fred, with a satisfied smile on his face as he opened the door an inch or so to allow Mrs. Weasley's voice to permeate the room better. "It makes such a nice change."