Leaky's Daily Quotedown to Deathly Hallows: 37 Days

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
October 14, 2010, 03:48 AM

There are now only 37 days left until "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I" hits theaters!  We are posting a quote from the first half of the book every day in celebration and to give us a chance to discuss and ponder the final book as it goes to film. Here is today's quote!

On this spot, on the night of 31 October 1981,
Lily and James Potter lost their lives.
Their son, Harry, remains the only wizard
ever to have survived the Killing Curse.
This house, invisible to Muggles, has been left
in its ruined state as a monument to the Potters
and as a reminder of the violence
that tore apart their family.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, "Bathilda's Secret"

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Wrong_thumb

I don’t remember if I did but I think I cried at that point. I was up really late reading at that point in the book =] CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by ∂ʋмвℓɛ∂σяκ31*ЯѲΔЯ* on October 14, 2010, 04:29 PM report to moderator
Dhposter1_thumb

I cant beleive its only 37 days. Last week, I’m like “AGGH, FORTY-SOMETHING DAYS IS SO FAR AWAY” and now its a little over a month and I’m like :O
Has anyone been able to find out where you can get tickets for a midnight showing at LOCAL theaters? Cause I can’t very well travel to London or potter-knows-where in the states without a passport. XD

Posted by Nagini1025 on October 14, 2010, 04:39 PM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

All these quotes are great…I hope they post them all on one page when they are finished!

Posted by Rin68nyr on October 14, 2010, 04:56 PM report to moderator
The_weasleys_thumb

best quote from the book so far

Posted by fredluver14 on October 14, 2010, 05:00 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Sniff, sniff!! :( RIP Lily and James!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on October 14, 2010, 05:46 PM report to moderator

I don’t want to reread DH before the movie comes out. I’ll only end focusing on what they left out and what they changed.

Posted by Ratorr on October 14, 2010, 05:46 PM report to moderator
Owl_bookstoppers_thumb

love that quote and chapter…makes me cry every time i read it.
like you sumup storeyman…very moving.
and theyre not leaving this out in the movie! they just cant! thuis scene is sooooooooooooo important! and itll make everyone in the theatre cry!
still, completely love this chapter a lot. one of my favourites.

Posted by Hermione Weasley on October 14, 2010, 06:04 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

That quote brougth tears to my eyes. Yes, Voldemort was the reason why Harry’s family was torn apart………….

Harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-20070328093850961_thumb

This lines kills me every time “…the violence that tore apart their family.” Harry, Neville, Hannah, Susan, Molly – they all lost so many family members.

Posted by Bless_the_children on October 14, 2010, 10:04 PM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

First! Great quote, love this chapter

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on October 15, 2010, 07:05 AM report to moderator

Great quote! Really gave Harry the boost he needed at that time to keep going, I think.

Posted by Dawna on October 15, 2010, 07:21 AM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

This was such an amazing moment for Harry. I loved his emotional reaction to the graffiti … crazy to think that “Bathilda” was right there, waiting for him at this moment. Jo doesn’t give us a chance to catch our breath before we are on to the next unbelievable surprise!!!

Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Dilysroot, that was a really good observation about the memorial not giving any honor to the killer by naming him. There’s so much weight attached to naming in myth and folklore of so many cultures (though nobody seems able to agree on whether speaking an entity’s true name gives it power over you or gives you power over it). JKR has shown that she’s very aware of this important Jungian theme, both in the care that she takes in naming her characters and in her treatment of how different characters deal with the cultural taboo on using Voldemort’s name (or self-imposed title, really). In the end she comes down solidly on the side of empowerment by using true names, when Harry brings Voldy down off his high horse by very pointedly addressing him as Riddle in their final confrontation.

This quote also brings me back to something that I wish I could ask JKR: What would the Ministry under Kingsley have decided to do with Voldy-gone-moldy? If he got a burial, the site and marker, no matter how plain, would become a magnet for surviving and wannabe Death Eater wannabes. That might be useful for surveillance purposes, but would also create a focal point for efforts to make Voldemort out to be some sort of martyr. On the other hand, it’s hard to imagine that our heroes would lower themselves to the level of not allowing a ‘decent burial’ even for their worst enemy. In most fantasy novels, the mortal remains of defeated Dark Lords spare their authors this quandary by dissipating into smoke and vapor and blowing away on the wind (and even Hitler conveniently burned himself up); but if that was JKR’s intent, she didn’t mention it.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on October 15, 2010, 01:16 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Err, scratch that second ‘wannabes.’

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on October 15, 2010, 01:18 PM report to moderator
Picnik_collage_thumb

i cried when i read this, i could just imagine how harry felt when he read it </3

Posted by potterfantasy on October 15, 2010, 05:08 PM report to moderator

"Maybe," said Malfoy in an undertone, so that only Harry could hear him, "the stupid great oaf's got himself badly injured."[br]"Maybe you will if you don't shut up," said Harry out of the side of his mouth.