Travelling Harry Potter Exhibit from the University of Alabama at Birmingham

Education
Posted by: Rosi
January 09, 2010, 04:55 AM

A press release from the University of Alabama at Birmingham announces a travelling exhibit to "[show] how Rowling delved into the writings of real 15th and 16th century physicians, scholars and scientists to fashion the basis of magic in the seven Potter books." Supplemented by the University of Alabama at Birmingham's collection of "rare, historical medical texts" and presented by the National Library of Medicine, the exhibit, "Harry Potter's World: Renaissance Science, Magic and Medicine," will run from the 25th of January until 5th of March.

The exhibit explores Rowling's references to themes popular with Renaissance scholars as well as the author's nods to early scientists such as Paracelsus and Agrippa. Elizabeth Jane Furdell Ph.D., a professor of history at the University of North Florida, will deliver a presentation on "Magic Alchemy and Medicine in Harry Potter's World" on the 2nd of February at 4pm.

More information can be found here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Education News

Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

hm, i miss it, i wish i went more than once when it was in chicago!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on January 10, 2010, 09:15 PM report to moderator
Leaky_ron_icon_thumb
20305 Points

I’d love to see that, what you would learn would be amazing.

Posted by friendofblob on January 11, 2010, 02:32 AM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

Wow that sounds awesome! I wish I lived close enough to go see it.

Posted by da_member0808 on January 11, 2010, 05:12 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Can you get a Doctorate in HP?

Posted by Won_Two on January 11, 2010, 05:51 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

@Boy with a lightning scar I agree!!!!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on January 11, 2010, 01:17 PM report to moderator
Gryfendoricon_thumb

OMG!!! this is so perfect B’ham is my home town and now im still only like 2 hours away!!!! im so excited!!!

Posted by tigerpatronus13 on January 11, 2010, 01:35 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

This is so Awesome!! I live in Alabama!! I’m totally going!! YES! Finally something HP related comes here. It’s too bad it didn’t come to the University of Alabama (my school), UAB is an hour away.

Posted by cghambright on January 11, 2010, 04:06 PM report to moderator
_r9kau7w_thumb

thats so cool! the care and planning jo took is so amazing. i love learning new things about the series— it makes me love it even more!

Posted by Nealie Zealbie on January 11, 2010, 06:02 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

wish it was at UGA so i could go

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on January 12, 2010, 03:55 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

wish it was at UGA so i could go

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on January 12, 2010, 03:55 PM report to moderator
Weasleys-da_small_thumb

Jo is genius, end of story…………….genius……..

Posted by just another weasley ROAR,OoM2GS on January 15, 2010, 10:30 AM report to moderator
Molly_thumb

This sounds like an interesting exhibit. I went to the Movie Prop exhibit over the summer when it was in Chicago. The idea of relating HP to the study of alchemy/medicine sounds appealing. I am glad people take JKR’s attention to detail and history as seriously as she does. Though the thought of what used to pass for the practice of medicine sounds ghastly!

Posted by cminmd on January 16, 2010, 05:11 PM report to moderator

This sounds fascinating! I wish I could check it out.

Posted by Kami Malfoy on January 17, 2010, 07:09 AM report to moderator
Cimg2079_thumb

wait, wait! You say it’s traveling….to where? I’m really excited to see this, it’s a few of my favorite thing sall in one!! <3 <3 <3

Posted by Annecia-Amilla on January 27, 2010, 05:16 PM report to moderator

"Half an inch of skin and sinew holding my neck on, Harry! Most people would think that's good and beheaded, but oh, no, it's not enough for Sir Properly Decapitated-Podmore."