Read I Capture the Castle with Jo's Book Nook

LeakyLounge
Posted by: Rosi
January 03, 2010, 11:15 AM

Our non-Harry Potter book club, Jo's Book Nook, has chosen to read Dodie Smith's timeless novel I Capture the Castle for the month of January. Jo's Book Nook is open to all MyLeaky members, providing the opportunity to discuss the chosen novel with others who are discovering or rediscovering it at the same time. This month, there is a quiz, a section to post your favourite quotations, a thread to crack any Britishisms you didn't understand and more.

As for the novel itself, Smith - also the author of 101 Dalmatians - follows the Mortmain family's life in a castle that is falling to pieces. The father is faced with crippling writer's block, while his new artist's model wife, Topaz, is as eccentric as they come. I Capture the Castle is set in the 1930s and told from the perspective of the younger daughter, Cassandra, who writes her family's adventures, struggles with money and battles with love down in her treasured diary. J.K. Rowling herself has said that Cassandra "[is] one of the most charismatic narrators I've ever met."

Happy reading!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent LeakyLounge News

Wand_thumb

Wow! I have never read it but it sounds interesting! FIRST!!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on January 03, 2010, 11:37 AM report to moderator
I-quote_hogwarts0144_thumb

Aw, I’ve read this book a few times and it’s actually great! The characters, setting and plot are amusing and very original :)

Posted by BewareoftheNargles {WBM} on January 03, 2010, 12:08 PM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

Sounds nice so I’ll have to look for it in the library.

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on January 03, 2010, 12:42 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

Hmmm sounds intersting.

Posted by The Nerd on January 03, 2010, 01:26 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Excellent choice… It is a really good read.

Posted by Won_Two on January 03, 2010, 02:09 PM report to moderator
6291_1098759991360_1297440041_30293125_7640326_n_thumb

My great aunt sent me this novel several years ago for Christmas and upon reading the quote from Ms. Rowling on the cover, I devoured it. “I Capture the Castle” has delightfully witty prose, and Cassandra truly IS one of the most charismatic, intelligent, vivid characters I’ve ever come across in literature. The novel is extremely romantic as well, featuring the best love quadrangle in any novel I’ve read. It’s like reading a mix of Jane Austen, Bridget Jones’ Diary, and Little Women. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed if you read this novel and stick with it!

Posted by emmypotter on January 03, 2010, 03:00 PM report to moderator
Bokorm_-p_thumb

I love that book! It’s really good. :)

Posted by Lisbry on January 04, 2010, 03:52 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I have never read this book before but the summary provided certainly has intrigued me and has compelled me to consider borrowing it from the library.

Posted by Kirk on January 04, 2010, 03:59 AM report to moderator

Sounds interesting. I’ll look for it in my library.

Posted by elaphantluv34 on January 04, 2010, 04:08 AM report to moderator

My library carries it, so maybe others do too. I really liked it. I also liked her other recommendations.

Posted by iamnotworriedharry on January 04, 2010, 04:48 AM report to moderator
N503254935_311533_4329_thumb

Can’t wait to read it! I’ll visit the library tomorrow.

Posted by Chii on January 04, 2010, 05:39 AM report to moderator
Dan_says_rawr

i really needed another book to read, this one sounds great :)

Posted by loveyoulawl, roar. on January 04, 2010, 06:23 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

This book sounds like a good read!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on January 04, 2010, 06:47 AM report to moderator
Harry-potter-stars_thumb

hmmmm, sounds interesting. i’m always looking for reading suggestions.

Posted by harrygetsme on January 04, 2010, 06:55 AM report to moderator
Bildschirmfoto_2013-01-31_um_11

Sounds great. I’ll definitely give it a try.

Posted by Spinner's End ^HISS^ (ITC) on January 04, 2010, 07:53 AM report to moderator

"We will see each uzzer again, I 'ope," said Fleur as she reached [Harry], holding out her hand. "I am 'oping to get a job 'ere, to improve my Eenglish."[br]"It's very good already," said Ron in a strangled sort of voice. Fleur smiled at him; Hermione sco