Wizarding World is "Pretty Close" to a Set Opening Date; More Details Revealed

News
Posted by: Melissa
January 28, 2010, 12:01 PM

During a conference call today with Thierry Coup, vice president of creative development for Universal Creative, representatives from fan sites were told that the Harry Potter theme park is "pretty close" to a set opening date and hopes to announce that date soon. As of now Spring 2010 is the most specific timetable for the opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter Theme Park, but the creative team says the structures are 90 percent complete and are ust putting the final touches on the "layers and layers of detail" present in the park.

You can listen to the full audio of the conference call below:

Additional details from the interview:

• The wand-choosing experience will last from 2-5 minutes per person, and the team is currently working on how to handle what are expected to be long wait times.
  • The inside of the castle includes rooms built to full scale from the films - Dumbledore's office, the Great Hall, the Gryffindor Common room, and more
  • The previous reports of wands interacting with the environment of the park have not yet been realized, but there's "a lot going on" in each area of the amusement
  • "Every Harry Potter fan is going to be very critical of this [park]: we want to make sure that it's going to be absolutely fantastic and perfect."
  • The Ollivander's shop will include every detail from the books possible, down to the tinkling bell, the single window, and the sign that hearkens the shop back to 382 b.c.
  • Ollivander's in this "Hogsmeade" is, with permission from J.K. Rowling, an annex, a satellite shop of the main Ollivander's (which is in Diagon Alley in London; Hogsmeade is in Scotland). The wandkeeper will not be Mr. Ollivander. There will be only one in the shop at any given time.
  • The wands have all been designed by Stuart Craig and approved by J.K. Rowling.
  • The experience of having your wand choose you is free, though the wand costs money to buy. Pricing is to be determined.
  • Customers may buy wands without doing the choosing.
  • Questions will be asked of the customers, including birthdate and other factual details, to determine the appropriate wandwood based on the Celtic calendar (as frequently is done in the Harry Potter books).
  • The wands are made out of 13 different types of wood.
  • Children will be able to build their own wand
  • When trying out your wands, there may be mishaps in the shop - flowers wilting, thunder and lightning in the store, etc. - when you use the wrong one.
  • There are no current plans for "dark" areas of Hogsmeade, a la Nocturne Alley, but Coup said to "stay tuned for that."
  • You can follow Thierry Coup on Twitter for additional revelations (or just follow Leaky's Harry Potter list to get all HP related Twitterers at once.)
Coup said: "I can tell you one thing: it's going to be a treat for the eye and for the heart, too."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News News

282600_233804939987291_100000733600249_807455_78180_n_thumb

cool.. ever post get me more excited to go..

Posted by Horcruxalej on January 28, 2010, 12:41 PM report to moderator
Smirk4_small_thumb

I’ve already got my tickets. Just announce the date already!

Posted by cowashee on January 28, 2010, 12:56 PM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

I wonder will they ask Jo about it when they’re doing the Hufflepuff Common Room or will they just create their own?

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on January 28, 2010, 12:58 PM report to moderator
Snape_and_hermione_in_grey_by_usagistu_thumb

Nice. Free wand choosing & it will be based on the Celtic Calendar. (Oak here I come!!) Perhaps I’ll get Dragon Heartstring? :D So COOL!!!

Posted by Bara on January 28, 2010, 01:28 PM report to moderator
002hudhu_thumb

i don’t think i can wait any longer!

Posted by aLilyForAPrince on January 28, 2010, 01:44 PM report to moderator
Zomg_yay__thumb

finally!. my friend and i have been anxiously waiting for the date, so we could properly plan for it. we want to be there opening date to see the stars, but i have only just begun to save money, so idk if i can book by then :/. sounds like the park is going to be awesome either way, am able to imagine it as if i was there. fingers crossed i save enough money on time! :D

Posted by drarry.girl on January 28, 2010, 02:01 PM report to moderator
Doctor_who_5_thumb

I have already seen an add on the TV for it and I am excited!

Posted by I've got a theory... *ROAR* on January 28, 2010, 02:02 PM report to moderator
757920_thumb

Aw i’m not a fan of Birch…
I hope the wands aren’t too expensive.

Everything sounds sooooooooooooo AMAZING! I can’t wait!

Posted by Beckatrix the Strange on January 28, 2010, 02:09 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

freaking out here

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on January 28, 2010, 02:10 PM report to moderator
All-voldemort-needs_thumb

OMG! I remember when they started to talk about the Theme Park for the first time… it was just a rumor in some magazine or on Internet. And now the park is 90% completed. And it’s opening in 2-5 months… Unbelievable! And… so AWESOME!

Posted by Pollytomat on January 28, 2010, 02:49 PM report to moderator
I-quote_hogwarts0144_thumb

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SO EXCITED! I’ll be so manically happy when my wand chooses me, I know it’s already there just waiting for me to get it! LOL

Posted by BewareoftheNargles {WBM} on January 28, 2010, 03:07 PM report to moderator
26dfd7603b091fe4c95efaad002edbaa46_thumb

cant wiat im so excited

Posted by LilLadySnape on January 28, 2010, 03:13 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

OMG! It’s going to be amazing!!!!!!!!!! It’ll be great to have the wand actually choose you!!!!!!! I don’t want to have the wood of my wand based on the Celtic calender, though. I’ll get Elder then… I can’t handle that sort of power! ; )

Posted by CarinaPotter (ROAR!) on January 28, 2010, 04:09 PM report to moderator

This is so exciting! I can’t wait to go through the wand selection process! It’s awesome that they are going to include so many details.

Posted by Kami Malfoy on January 28, 2010, 10:40 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

My Lord, it’s almost February, and they STILL haven’t given an opening date (almost said “release date” out of habit)! I just don’t see the rational. Have they really not decided? Why not just err on the side of sitting on it for a few weeks, so people can plan their vacations, ESPECIALLY if it’s in the spring/early summer! Just doesn’t make fiscal sense to me.

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on January 28, 2010, 10:50 PM report to moderator

"I am not forgotten, you know, no, I still receive a very great deal of fan mail... Gladys Gudgeon writes [i]weekly[/i]... I just wish I knew [i]why[/i]..." He paused, looking faintly puzzled, then beamed again and returned to his signing with renewed vig

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014