David Yates: "Deathly Hallows" a "big opera, a great big epic, with huge battles"

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
January 24, 2010, 06:50 PM

The March 2010 issue of Total Film Magazine appears to have a small report on the upcoming "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" films which features a few new quotes from director David Yates, actress Emma Watson (Hermione Granger), and screenwriter Steve Kloves.  A report on SS notes comments made by David Yates, who expands on earlier comments which described Part One of "Deathly Hallows" as "a road film," by saying that the film "[is] a refugee story about three kids cut off from everything they know and everybody they love, being pursued relentlessly by people who want to murder them."  He goes on to describe the second part of the film as a "big opera, a great big epic, with huge battles."

The report continues, featuring a quote from Miss Watson who comments on a new "structure" for the film by saying: “The others have this structure. You know, we come into the Great Hall and there’s the opening talk. And that’s gone."  The report concludes by relating comments made by screenwriter Steven Kloves, who says that the ultimate split of the film "allow[s] us to stretch a bit with the characters and give them the proper send-off."

The issue is said to be on newsstands now; if you come across a copy of the issue, please do email scans to staff@the-leaky-cauldron.org.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

2013-07-19_113504_thumb

I don’t know if I can survive until November, this is so exciting!

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on January 25, 2010, 08:24 AM report to moderator

Very excited for the films, but I do expect some level of diappointment. The books are just so good. I wish the films were truer to the books. I definitely won’t read them too close to the films coming out. That way I don’t compare them as much.

Posted by Dawna on January 25, 2010, 08:46 AM report to moderator
26dfd7603b091fe4c95efaad002edbaa46_thumb

i cant wait

Posted by LilLadySnape on January 25, 2010, 08:57 AM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

Big opera? You mean there’s singing?!

Posted by roonwit on January 25, 2010, 11:08 AM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Shell Cottage seems so far into the book IMO. I like the Snatcher split a lot better. As long as the movies don’t seem rushed. I don’t want the first movie to have everything squished in and you barely understand it.

Posted by Christine on January 25, 2010, 11:12 AM report to moderator
George_ron_thumb

I’m hoping the two films won’t focus entirely on Harry, Ron and Hermione. I’d like to see them go beyond the book and show what Ginny, Neville, Luna, etc. are up to at Hogwarts while the other three are doing there thing.

Posted by blue_rogue on January 25, 2010, 11:18 AM report to moderator

NO NOT AN OPERA!!!! (I hope it’s not going to be in Latin!!!) just kidding! It sounds good! I can’t wait!

Posted by deatheater111 on January 25, 2010, 11:26 AM report to moderator

is that Fleur and Bill in the picture?

Posted by RRR on January 25, 2010, 11:45 AM report to moderator
Hp__neville__s_patronus_by_pen_umbra_thumb

DH II sounds way better than DH I.

Posted by All Was Well on January 25, 2010, 12:11 PM report to moderator
Img_4237_thumb

I’m so excited! And yeah, it would be cool to see what is going on at Hogwarts, too.

Posted by Taylor on January 25, 2010, 12:33 PM report to moderator

The comments sound very promising. I can’t wait to see how the first part will look!

Posted by Kami Malfoy on January 25, 2010, 12:57 PM report to moderator
Picture_1_thumb

I am so excited for DH!!!!! We’ll see how it turns out!!!

Posted by theREALGinnyWeasley on January 25, 2010, 01:01 PM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

I don’t really like the way they split it into 2 parts because we’ll have to wait a very long time for the 2nd part but I’m really looking forward to it and I hope they keep it as close to the books as they can. :D

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on January 25, 2010, 02:36 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I hope that someone uploads scans of these article soon. The content certainly intrigues me.

Posted by Kirk on January 25, 2010, 03:01 PM report to moderator
Starship_thumb

i was hopping they were gonna split it wen Dobby drops the chandelier at Malfoy Manor to cause a dramatic effect but oh well at least it wont be that much of a cliffhanger

Posted by NaRgLeS.WuZz.H3r3(: {Roar} on January 25, 2010, 03:19 PM report to moderator

"Why did I do it?" he said wildly. "I don't know what made me do it!"[br]"What?" said Harry.[br]"He -- er -- just asked Fleur Delacour to go to the ball with him," said Ginny. She looked as though she was fighting back a smile, but she kept patting Ron's

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014