Actors in the News Weekly Roundup

HP Cast
Posted by: Rosi
January 24, 2010, 01:57 PM

This week, the awards season is in full swing and we also have some news about new projects some of the Harry Potter actors have been working on. Firstly, thanks to Christian, we can bring you the news that Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter), Emma Watson (Hermione Granger), Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) and Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) are up for the German Bravo Otto Best Star in Cinema 2009 award. You can vote for up to three nominees here on the Bravo website.

Secondly, James and Oliver Phelps (Fred and George Weasley) are aiming to raise £500 for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution by selling their secrets. SOS Day is the RNLI’s biggest fundraiser and will take place on January 29th. The RNLI uses the money to train and equip their 40,000+ volunteers with skills and lifeboats to protect Britain’s coasts, as well as help out in both national and international flooding emergencies.  More information on the "Sell Our Secrets" challenge and a place to donate can be found on the JustGiving page here or at the RNLI Facebook page. James and Oliver Phelps can also be seen in a video on YouTube talking about the challenge.

Thirdly, an article on Empire Online reveals that Ciaran Hinds (Aberforth Dumbledore) has joined the cast of "John Carter of Mars". Filming has already commenced in London. Many thanks to UniversHarryPotter for emailing in.

In more casting news, it has been confirmed that Helen McCrory (Narcissa Malfoy) will appear in an episode in the upcoming series of "Doctor Who" due to air this Spring. An article on SFX states that she will appear in the sixth episode, titled "Vampires Of Venice,” written by Toby Whithouse ("Being Human") directed by Jonny Campbell ("Spooks," "Ashes To Ashes" and "Shameless"). Thanks nellythemarrow for letting us know!

Finally, the National Television Awards 2010 took place on the 20th of January at London’s O2 Arena and Stephen Fry and David Tennant both received awards.

Stephen Fry, who narrates the British Harry Potter audiobooks, received both the award for Star Travel Documentary for his documentary “Stephen Fry In America” and the Special Recognition Award. A video of Mr. Fry accepting the Special Recognition Award can be seen here on YouTube. Hugh Laurie, Prince Charles, Jo Brand and Daniel Radcliffe feature in the video discussing the actor/director/poet/author/television presenter’s work, including his reading of the Harry Potter audiobooks. Quotage:

Daniel Radcliffe: I’ve got a very good friend who every night, after coming home from university, goes to sleep listening to Stephen read the Harry Potter books on tape because he just does it so wonderfully.
David Tennant (Barty Crouch Jr.) received the award for Outstanding Drama Performance for the fourth year in a row for his work on "Doctor Who," which in turn won the award for Best Drama for the fifth year running.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HP Cast News

Wand_thumb

Cool! Thanks for the news!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on January 25, 2010, 06:38 AM report to moderator
All-voldemort-needs_thumb

Yeah, they both deserved it! I like “Doctor Who”)) And Stephen Fry… He has 48 hours in a day, doesn’t he? He has time to do lots of important things! Just amazing!!!
And voted on Bravo Otto site))) Don’t forget to vote, guys! Everyone can! Not only Germany residents)

Posted by Pollytomat on January 25, 2010, 06:43 AM report to moderator
26dfd7603b091fe4c95efaad002edbaa46_thumb

oh i love helen mccroy i deffinatly shall have to watch dr. who

Posted by LilLadySnape on January 25, 2010, 06:45 AM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

cool and interesting!!!

Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

I have all the HP books read by Stephen Fry. He does an incredibly wonderful job. And I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who listens to Fry reading one of the Harry Potter books every night. (As for the falling asleep bit, the only reason I can is because I know the stories so well. Fry has a voice that is soothing and somehow comforting. It’s like when you were a little kid and your parents read a bedtime story to you until you fell asleep. Sounds corny, but there it is.)

So in answer to the whether to get Fry’s version of HP? Absolutely!

Posted by Eeyore on January 25, 2010, 08:07 AM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

Oops, editing button needed. That should say: in answer to the question of whether to get Fry’s version of HP: absolutely!

Posted by Eeyore on January 25, 2010, 08:09 AM report to moderator
Black-panther_thumb

Cool! I’ve just voted :D

Posted by CarmenNightshadow on January 25, 2010, 08:39 AM report to moderator

Thanks for the update!

Posted by Little Deatheater on January 25, 2010, 08:57 AM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Weekly Roundup!!!! Everytime I see that now I hear Frak’s voice!! haha Awesome news for everyone!

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on January 25, 2010, 09:34 AM report to moderator
5688_135733938384_552133384_3057018_6951656_n_thumb

Yay for David Tennant! (And Mr. Fry, too.) Doctor Who is wonderful, and I will surely miss David as the Tenth Doctor.

Posted by mampersandy on January 25, 2010, 12:39 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Interesting news…

Posted by Won_Two on January 25, 2010, 01:10 PM report to moderator
The_golden_snitch_thumb

It’s really good that you have this weekly round-up!

Posted by hermione97 on January 25, 2010, 03:15 PM report to moderator

I watched the National Television Awards and I was so happy when Stephen Fry received the special recognition award as I think he’s simply amazing. Plus David Tennant presented Mr Fry with the ‘Star Travel Documentary’ award for ’Stephen Fry in America so I was really excited about seen 2 of my favourite actors/entertainers on stage together.

Plus I can’t wait to see Helen McCrory in Doctor Who and I wish James and Oliver Phelps lots of luck with their fundraising.

Posted by enchantedsocks on January 26, 2010, 01:46 AM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

I really like that James & Oliver are doing the “Selling Our Secrets” thing. I like that they are using their fame for some good in the world. Also like Emma Watson! I just voted for her in the Bravo! She Rocks!

Also, Congrats to David Tennent!!! Oh yeah, and Stephen Fry! I heard he was going to be in Alice in Wonderland! I can’t wait to see the movie!

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on January 26, 2010, 02:54 AM report to moderator

One more reason to love Dr. Who, I’m sure Helen will be wonderful.

Posted by Kami Malfoy on January 26, 2010, 03:40 AM report to moderator

Hermione Granger was almost as nervous about flying as Neville was. This was something you couldn't learn by heart out of a book -- not that she hadn't tried. At breakfast on Thursday she bored them all stupid with flying tips she'd gotten out of a libra