Confirmed: Alexandre Desplat to Score "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" Film

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
January 19, 2010, 12:10 PM

Update: This morning, we received word from a number of readers regarding a rumor composer Alexandre Desplat was set to score the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film.  We can now report this rumor is indeed true, thanks to our friends at MuggleNet who were able to validate that this piece of news was confirmed by Mr. Desplat's agent.

FilmScoreMonthy is reporting that composer Alexandre Desplat has been tapped to score the upcoming "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film.  Describing the 48 year old composer an "overnight sensation that took decades to occur," the feature on the 2009 Top Forty Composer Countdown list includes the first part of the final Potter film as one of this upcoming projects.  The profile notes:
He has become the director-of-choice for many of the world's most acclaimed directors, including Fincher, Stephen Frears, Terence Malick and Roman Polanski, and has signed for one his most challenging and highest-profile assignments yet, the penultimate entry in the Harry Potter saga.
WHAT'S NEXT: The Ghostwriter, Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows Part 1, A Prophet, The Special Relationship, Tamara Drewe, The Tree of Life
As noted on Mr. Desplat's official website, his previous work includes "Julie and Julia," "New Moon," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," and "The Golden Compass."

While this is indeed exciting news, we have yet to receive official word on a role for Mr. Desplat in the "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film and will update you as soon as we do.  Stay close to Leaky for the latest on this "Deathly Hallows" news and more.

Many thanks to Erna, Jon, and Cellar Door for mailing.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Icondude_thumb

Thank you for bringing that up, eiVega! It’s so true.

Posted by starlesswinter on January 20, 2010, 04:24 PM report to moderator
Icondude_thumb

Rotfang7, you think Desplat ALMOST matches Hooper? Good grief… Desplat has miles more talent than Hooper! His music in nuanced, subtle, and complex, whereas Hooper is only subtle. He can’t do anything beyond basic chord progressions, and sometimes that’s all his music is: chord progressions. Simple, simple, simple stuff that a college student could do.

Posted by starlesswinter on January 20, 2010, 05:10 PM report to moderator
2vbx3b5_thumb

Confirmed. I’m really excited to hear what he comes up with, but nervous at the same time because I just really hope that he will listen to the previous HP scores so that there will be some level of continuity and feel like an HP film score. I am by no means saying don’t do anything new or different just that I hope he will be conscious of the previous sounds of the series and those most loved by fans in order to maintain the feeling of the series as a whole. I only say this because before New Moon he didn’t listen to the Twilight score at all and that caused a disconnect in the music for many fans and I don’t want to see that happen with DH. Either way I know he will come up with something breathtaking and beautiful that will get constant play on my iPod! The only question is whether or how well it will reflect HP. Still very exciting news!

Posted by bella vita on January 20, 2010, 05:45 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_70_thumb

I hope he does a good job.. I’ve just read that the rumor’s confirmed, This is going to be quite interesting.

Posted by HBPFan [ITC!] - CatPhoenix14 on January 20, 2010, 07:16 PM report to moderator

Agree being LOUD is not only the composer’s choice it’s the director’s too, but in films 1 and 2 you had Columbus directing (need I say more?), and with Cuaron we had a double problem, he was either into loud or he deferred too respectfully to Williams’s penchant for loud, which is how all Spielberg films are scored. Williams is the master of the obvious, as one would expect of someone who scores essentially children’s or one-dimensional films, and anyway anyone who uses banks of hundreds of horns, strings, and timpani wants their subtle bone checking. Complexity is not the same as sophistication, subtlety or nuance, of which there is no evidence in Williams. Williams is capable of having layer after layer of knock you over the head loud music but it is utterly devoid of any heart or soul.

The best piece of film making of Spielberg’s was the first 25 minutes of Saving Private Ryan, which did not have a single note of Williams’s ridiculously OTT music in it. The rest of the Speilberg-Williams output is sentimental pulp or popcorn cinema that requires the requisite music to match. I can live with Williams doing the last film as a gesture but I know I will be watching a Hollywood Hamburger popcorn Spielberg film and not anything worthy of GoF, OotP, HBP, or DH1 [in the making].

Someone mentioned Schindler’s List as an example of non-Hollywoodesque non-pap, with Williams score as proof he can do deep. I’ve researched the Holocaust for the last 40 years and I saw not a shred of truth or depth in Schindlers, all that was on the screen was a Hollywood parody of reality and history, with an equally facile score to match. Please please please Mr Spielberg keep Mr Williams busy for the next 2 years so we can keep Hollywood’s sensibility for gratuitous snap crackle and pap out of the HP series …? Pretty please? …

Posted by rotfang07 on January 20, 2010, 08:45 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

Very interesting discussion, everyone. I have enjoyed what every composer has done so far in the films, and I’m sure Desplat will be fantastic for DH1.

@DesQueJteVois : Danny Elfman – love that guy!

Postejeunes4_thumb

I honestly can’t remember the music from Golden Compass…

Posted by Boy With A Lightning Scar on January 20, 2010, 10:09 PM report to moderator
Ron-hermione-romione-3219846-1024-821_thumb

Who is this guy? I hope that he does well with the movies…

Posted by Ron&Hermione-4-ever [ROAR] on January 20, 2010, 11:18 PM report to moderator

I’m looking forward to hearing what his contribution to Harry Potter will be like.

Posted by Kami Malfoy on January 21, 2010, 01:08 AM report to moderator

Well now that the rumor has been confirmed I’m more curious than ever about how the music will work with the movie. I hope it will be beautiful like “Hedwig’s Theme.”

Posted by Kami Malfoy on January 21, 2010, 01:11 AM report to moderator
Gryfendoricon_thumb

heard his work before, id say he’s a very acomplished composer and i really hope it works for HP

Posted by tigerpatronus13 on January 21, 2010, 03:42 AM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_002_thumb

Although I was sorry not to see Williams continue, I have to admit I’ve been pleased with all of the previous films’ scores, so I’m hoping for the best from Desplat this time around.

Posted by Agrippa1 on January 21, 2010, 04:07 AM report to moderator
Icondude_thumb

Rotfang7, you are obviously biased against Williams and have made no effort to listen to his quieter scores (Angela’s Ashes, The Terminal, War of the Worlds, Catch Me If You Can, Memoirs of a Geisha, Munich, Jane Eyre, Seven Years in Tibet). Listen to those and then tell me he has no heart and soul. If you don’t like his style, fine, but don’t make accusations that he doesn’t put his heart into his music just because you prefer subtle European music. That’s just wrong. And why on earth must one look to a film’s historical accuracy to judge whether or not the score is good? That’s ridiculous! Hooper’s score must be bad because he didn’t use medieval instruments!

I don’t know why you keep arguing that Williams’s music is too “Hollywood”. That would imply that so many other composers are turning out the same music as Williams, and that could not be further from the truth. No one else has William’s style. Not every single moment of a film score needs to be restrained, and if you think that Williams cannot do low-key you need to watch PoA again (the “why whould I go looking for someone who wants to kill me?” scene, most of the shrieking shack scene, “Secrets of the Castle”, “Saving Buckbeak”). Talk about prejudice.

Posted by starlesswinter on January 21, 2010, 04:10 AM report to moderator
Rose1_thumb

The Meadow was great in New Moon, hope to be as good as that! Thx for the info! :)

Posted by Liara on January 21, 2010, 05:47 AM report to moderator
Mugsp_profile_thumb

I find it amusing that some people complain about scores being too loud. That’s what the sound mixers do, not the composers. They just write music while another team mixes the levels to find the correct balance of dialogue, sound efx and music. True, a composer can arrange a piece to sound very busy or have a lot of character that draws attention to itself but the actual volume level can be lowered. It’s still the director’s call. While they are doing the mix and finalizing the cut they have the opportunity to make adjustments as necessary. When you hear at the end has passed through so many people that you can’t just blame it on the composer. If a director finds the music distracting he has the power to make decisions and fix things. It’s such a collaborative process that the composer is involved with the rest of the crew to make the best thing possible. You can’t single out and blame a person for your personal distastes. Enough people work on this together to discern and produce the best film they can.

Posted by eiVega on January 21, 2010, 06:57 AM report to moderator

...Professor Flitwick had given each student a stack of cushions on which to practice, the theory being that these wouldn't hurt anyone if they went off target. It was a good theory, but it wasn't working very well. Neville's aim was so poor that he kept

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014