Confirmed: Alexandre Desplat to Score "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" Film

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
January 19, 2010, 12:10 PM

Update: This morning, we received word from a number of readers regarding a rumor composer Alexandre Desplat was set to score the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film.  We can now report this rumor is indeed true, thanks to our friends at MuggleNet who were able to validate that this piece of news was confirmed by Mr. Desplat's agent.

FilmScoreMonthy is reporting that composer Alexandre Desplat has been tapped to score the upcoming "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film.  Describing the 48 year old composer an "overnight sensation that took decades to occur," the feature on the 2009 Top Forty Composer Countdown list includes the first part of the final Potter film as one of this upcoming projects.  The profile notes:
He has become the director-of-choice for many of the world's most acclaimed directors, including Fincher, Stephen Frears, Terence Malick and Roman Polanski, and has signed for one his most challenging and highest-profile assignments yet, the penultimate entry in the Harry Potter saga.
WHAT'S NEXT: The Ghostwriter, Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows Part 1, A Prophet, The Special Relationship, Tamara Drewe, The Tree of Life
As noted on Mr. Desplat's official website, his previous work includes "Julie and Julia," "New Moon," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," and "The Golden Compass."

While this is indeed exciting news, we have yet to receive official word on a role for Mr. Desplat in the "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" film and will update you as soon as we do.  Stay close to Leaky for the latest on this "Deathly Hallows" news and more.

Many thanks to Erna, Jon, and Cellar Door for mailing.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Emmapicsmall_thumb

Any one know if this guy’s any good?

Posted by Tifereth on January 19, 2010, 12:26 PM report to moderator

I liked the guy who scored Half-Blood Prince. I hope Desplat will be as good as he was (if it’s really gonna be the new man to score DH…).

Posted by Andrash on January 19, 2010, 12:29 PM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

He’s a very accomplished composer. Two Oscar nominations in the past three years is exciting. Personally, I’d still like to see Williams return just for fun, but I know Desplat will be great if this is true. On a side note, I think whomever composes Part 1 will obviously compose Part 2. It wouldn’t make sense if you had two, unless WB really wants each part to feel like a completely separate film instead of one film in two parts.

Posted by mollywobble on January 19, 2010, 12:30 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

This is completely interesting and quite the surprise. Hmmm…

Posted by ARION on January 19, 2010, 12:30 PM report to moderator
Marrow_normal_normal_small_thumb

Previous credits include New Moon – where he chose not to listen to the scor of the previous film, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Golden Compass, The Painted Veil, Syriana,The Queen Girl With a Pearl Earring – and the music in that one is good, but it’s a quiet film! Not magical with fantasy and action and terror! Pluss I suspect Philip Glass composed the good themes. I’ve been cmplaining about him lately and joked that he’d be bad in Harry Potter.

Posted by nellythemarrow on January 19, 2010, 12:31 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

I think John Williams is confirmed for “Tin Tin.” I PRAY he’s on for part ii. desplat is amazing, but as has already been pointed out, he chose not to listen to the twilight score before new moon. and I DID feel a disconnect from that. if there is no hedwig’s theme…the horror…..

Posted by abandonedboyjon on January 19, 2010, 12:43 PM report to moderator
Postejeunes4_thumb

We’ll see. I’m not really familiar with him. Of course, I would love John Williams to return. At least for the last film!

Posted by Boy With A Lightning Scar on January 19, 2010, 12:47 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

i dont even know this guy. and yeah, wats up with john? he was really good

Posted by MaggieNoise on January 19, 2010, 12:57 PM report to moderator
Dementor-at-the-window_thumb

Ugh… I hated the New Moon soundtrack… It was so disconnected from Twilight’s soundtrack (which I loved, but then I’m yet to hear a Carter Burwell soundtrack I didn’t like…), but also it was so sickeningly sentimental. New Moon generally was much too sentimental for my taste and the soundtrack made it feel twice as bad.
Really hope this is just a rumour. I’m with everybody else who was hoping for John Williams to return…

Posted by rozoweskarpetki on January 19, 2010, 01:22 PM report to moderator

I’ve been hoping, hoping, HOPING for this! I really hope it’s true, because Desplat writes the most gorgeous music; his scoring DH would be the perfect end to the series!

Posted by Lily Phoenix on January 19, 2010, 01:29 PM report to moderator
15657683_thumb

I’m still keeping my fingers crossed for John Williams. The Golden Compass soundtrack wasn’t one of my favourite ones, and only God knows how much I don’t want another Twilight name to be associated with Harry Potter – or viceversa. Plus, having Williams score Deathly Hallows (especially Part II) would bring a better sense of closure to the series, somehow.

Posted by Cellar Door [*SQUEE!*] on January 19, 2010, 01:34 PM report to moderator
Ikonka2_thumb

I have a bad feeling about this:(

Posted by SohajFawkes on January 19, 2010, 01:48 PM report to moderator

Woohoo, thank you David Yates, David Heyman etc if it’s true!!! Williams would have ruined DH 1 and would probably make a pig’s ear of DH 2 too. Desplat is capable of being nuanced, subtle, and sophisticated, all attributes utterly outside the scope of Williams. If we have to have Williams back then let it be for DH2 then his crash-bang-wallop soundtrack will be able to disappear behind the incessant action. But G-d forbid there should be a subtle scene in DH2 as it will be drowned out in corny cliche, popcorn pop themes, and crashing waves of timpani, strings, and horns.

Hooper was the best by a mile but at least the European sensibility will continue with Desplat. WOOHOO, great news. Please please be true …

Posted by rotfang07 on January 19, 2010, 02:06 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

I liked John Hooper, tbh….we just got him for HBP I don’t wanna let him go!! haaha, my dream composer for a HP film would have to be Danny Elfman

Posted by DesQueJteVois on January 19, 2010, 02:14 PM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

Rotfang, tell us how you really feel. LoL. I love your posts. It is very possible that if Williams was to return his score would overpower the film. I thought Hooper’s score for HBP was gorgeous and largely improved over OotP. It’ll be interesting to see how Yates works with a new composer regardless of who he is. On a side note, perhaps the reason Desplat’s score for “New Moon” and “Golden Compass” were disappointing because he was working with Chris Weitz?

Posted by mollywobble on January 19, 2010, 02:20 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Viktor always said --"[br]Ron looked around at her so fast he appeared to crick his neck; rubbing it, he said, "Yeah? What did Vicky say?"[br]"Ho ho," said Hermione in a bored voice.