President Obama Includes Harry Potter Story in Education Speech

Books
Posted by: Melissa
September 07, 2009, 10:12 PM

Tomorrow President Barack Obama will address the nation as it goes back to school; the pre-released text of his speech (which you can read here) includes remarks on the beginnings of Harry Potter as proof that not all great ideas or ventures are accepted as such to start:

But the truth is, being successful is hard. You won’t love every subject you study. You won’t click with every teacher. Not every homework assignment will seem completely relevant to your life right this minute. And you won’t necessarily succeed at everything the first time you try.
That’s OK.  Some of the most successful people in the world are the ones who’ve had the most failures. JK Rowling’s first Harry Potter book was rejected twelve times before it was finally published. Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team, and he lost hundreds of games and missed thousands of shots during his career. But he once said, "I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
These people succeeded because they understand that you can’t let your failures define you – you have to let them teach you. You have to let them show you what to do differently next time. If you get in trouble, that doesn’t mean you’re a troublemaker, it means you need to try harder to behave. If you get a bad grade, that doesn’t mean you’re stupid, it just means you need to spend more time studying."

Pres. Obama will deliver the address at Wakefield High School in Arlington, Va., at 10 a.m. MDT; it will be live on the C-SPAN cable channel and streamed life at whitehouse.gov/live.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

H-r_thumb

Oh Obama, you are such a closet fanboy. I love you for it.

Posted by fantasylover12001 on September 13, 2009, 12:32 AM report to moderator
Darkside_thumb

wow! 12 times?!
Im so glad someone finally gave it a chance, who knows where Id be without Harry Potter!

Posted by Esmeralda.ROARღ on September 13, 2009, 03:43 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Obama :]]

Posted by IloveDobby on September 13, 2009, 07:17 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Maybe it’s because I’m in the UK. But to be honest I’m not sure what all the fuss is about. I mean I think it’s brilliant that the President is actually taking time to go to school and say speeches. But I’m not familiar with America politics etc. But if there is a HP reference in there all the better!!

Darthhallows_thumb

That’s a really great speech. These republicans a just a bunch of whinny hipocrites. I had to listen to Reagan and Bush the First when I was in school now they don’t want the president to say: stay in school and work hard, I guess they really do want this country to fail. Though I would take out the God bless you and God bless America that has no place in a public school.

Posted by StarWarsHippie on September 15, 2009, 05:27 PM report to moderator
Wicca_thumb

That is great that Obama included such a big part of most kids and teens life, like Harry Potter has been for so many for so long. I think it was smart of him to bring it up. Maybe the kids paid more attention to it because they understood the importance better because they identify with the character so well. That being said, I wish that he didn’t have to explain the obvious to the kids, like stay in school to get ahead, and studying is important.

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on September 15, 2009, 07:26 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

glad america knows what’s important!!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on June 25, 2010, 02:46 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

glad america knows what’s important!!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on June 25, 2010, 02:46 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

glad america knows what’s important!!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on June 25, 2010, 02:46 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

glad america knows what’s important!!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on June 25, 2010, 02:46 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

glad america knows what’s important!!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on June 25, 2010, 02:46 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

glad america knows what’s important!!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on June 25, 2010, 02:46 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

glad america knows what’s important!!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on June 25, 2010, 02:46 PM report to moderator

"Myrtle... what lives in the lake, apart from the giant squid?"[br]"Oh all sorts," she said. "I sometimes go down there... sometimes don't have any choice, if someone flushes my toilet when I'm not expecting it..."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014