Ian Rankin Says JK Rowling "Writing Family Trees" and Working on Scottish Book

J.K. Rowling
September 04, 2009, 02:41 PM

Author Ian Rankin has given a new interview on BBC radio with Simon Mayo (download here) where he mentions his friend and neighbor in Scotland, J.K. Rowling. In the middle of this interview, Mr. Rankin notes that while he has not seen the Harry Potter author in some time, he said she "was working on her Harry Potter encyclopedia" and "drawing family trees for all the characters, going back generations." This of course is not a surprise as Jo has said many times in the past that she is working again on various projects, as highlighted last year when she confirmed she was writing again in cafes, and has often expressed her desire to create the definitive encyclopedia of the beloved Harry Potter world.

Please note, as exciting as this is, we stress that it is important to release Mr. Rankin did not say or imply the Scottish book was to be released any time soon, again just noting he had seen her working on the book aka "The Scottish Book" as she first referred to the name during the interview with PotterCast in December, 2007.

Thanks to all who owled!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Hp_buddyicons_caught_bellamlfy_96x96_129322477441953550_thumb

maybe the book’s characters will make sense in how they relate to each other because its like sirius is tonk’s cousin, who is bellatrix’s niece who is draco’s aunt…etc. it all gets so confusing =] i’m happy for her and i hope it gets released soon

Posted by HalfBloodPrincesss (Jenna Evans) on September 05, 2009, 12:45 PM report to moderator
Avatar2_thumb

OMG! SQUEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! This is very xciting news ! Can’t wait !

Posted by weasleygirl101(ROAR) on September 05, 2009, 12:49 PM report to moderator

this would be great!!!!!!!!! :D

Posted by HereticPrincess on September 05, 2009, 01:17 PM report to moderator
Kit_thumb

OMG! It’s REAL! I want, I want, I want! :D

Posted by Fereverto on September 05, 2009, 01:35 PM report to moderator
Neville_avatar_01_thumb

What great news. OK, we know “The Scottish Book” won’t be out anytime soon, but it shows that Jo is keeping busy!

Posted by JaneMarple9 on September 05, 2009, 02:02 PM report to moderator
I-quote_slytherclaw018_wicked_visions_thumb

YOU GO JO! Write family trees, and maybe even give us more backstory on the adult characters in your ecyclopedia! <333

Posted by RemsyLuck on September 05, 2009, 02:12 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_m0hexavzz21qb3do9o6_250_normal_thumb

GOOD LUCK JO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Life is good!
I’m did a little happy dance when I read this seriously^_^

Posted by Owana Potter on September 05, 2009, 02:25 PM report to moderator
Baron_haru___shall_we_dance____by_jasminealexandra_thumb

YAY!!!! i can’t wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Ganduean-Vampiress on September 05, 2009, 02:26 PM report to moderator

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is brilliant news in my opinion! I ought to check that out whenever it gets released. Should be worth the read, yes? I wonder will JKR all ways stay in the Harry Potter world while she is writing or venture into new areas???? Whichever it is, I wish her well.

Posted by Robbie Rowe on September 05, 2009, 02:36 PM report to moderator
1204091927_thumb

YES ! WOOOOOOOOOOO ! THE SCOTTISH BOOK IS COMMINGGG ! dies this made my day ! :) but Jo probably wants to include EVERYTHING in the Scottish book so take your time Jo :D !

Posted by Heroine Luna on September 05, 2009, 02:51 PM report to moderator
Cropped_thumb

The day I get it will be my best day, I already feel it!

Posted by ~ Asi ~ on September 05, 2009, 03:04 PM report to moderator
Iconator_04e9497c4d2be426fe2888b16a16f53d_thumb

omg that’s soo AWESOME!!!!!

Posted by RaWr...WeReWoLf on September 05, 2009, 04:10 PM report to moderator
Greathornedowl_thumb

Oh cool, she’s still working on it!!! :D

Posted by PhoenixFlight [ITC!] on September 05, 2009, 04:47 PM report to moderator
Normal_tomriddle2_scarpotter_thumb

OMG! This is so exciting! I wonder if that is why “Do Not Disturb” is on the door on her website?

Posted by Huffleclaw65 on September 05, 2009, 04:56 PM report to moderator
Bokorm_-p_thumb

Great! Best news I’ve heard all day! And I haven’t had a pretty bad one actually. Can not WAIT. Even though I sort of at the same time want to, seeing as the book will probably turn out a lot better if Jo takes her time and doesn’t feel to pressured. I think. Either way, great news that she’s working on the SB anyway. :D

Posted by Lisbry on September 05, 2009, 05:05 PM report to moderator

Smiling and waving at him from every page were his mother and father.[br] "Sent owls off ter all yer parents' old school friends, askin' fer photos... knew yeh didn' have any... d'yeh like it?"[br] Harry couldn't speak, but Hagrid understood.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014