Ian Rankin Says JK Rowling "Writing Family Trees" and Working on Scottish Book

J.K. Rowling
September 04, 2009, 02:41 PM

Author Ian Rankin has given a new interview on BBC radio with Simon Mayo (download here) where he mentions his friend and neighbor in Scotland, J.K. Rowling. In the middle of this interview, Mr. Rankin notes that while he has not seen the Harry Potter author in some time, he said she "was working on her Harry Potter encyclopedia" and "drawing family trees for all the characters, going back generations." This of course is not a surprise as Jo has said many times in the past that she is working again on various projects, as highlighted last year when she confirmed she was writing again in cafes, and has often expressed her desire to create the definitive encyclopedia of the beloved Harry Potter world.

Please note, as exciting as this is, we stress that it is important to release Mr. Rankin did not say or imply the Scottish book was to be released any time soon, again just noting he had seen her working on the book aka "The Scottish Book" as she first referred to the name during the interview with PotterCast in December, 2007.

Thanks to all who owled!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Hbp_movie_thumb

oh my goodness!! I’m so excited just to hear that she is actually still in the porcess of writing, possibly right now, at this moment, It’s all happening

Posted by Blatcher(ROAR) on September 04, 2009, 10:51 PM report to moderator
Dobbyafreeelf_thumb

Yes!! I’m so excited!!

Posted by Promote Elfish Welfare [*SQUEE*] on September 04, 2009, 10:55 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_pic_thumb

hmmm, , , I really hope she calls it the Scottish Book, that would be a true wink and nod to us Harry Potter fans.

Posted by monicahp2009(WBM) on September 04, 2009, 11:14 PM report to moderator
Rh7_thumb

I was just talking about this with someone the other day. It will be amazing when it is released, but I’m not holding my breath for it to happen any time soon.

Posted by bec majec *roar* on September 05, 2009, 12:01 AM report to moderator
Rh7_thumb

i think it will be called something else but she will have "otherwise known as ‘The Scottish Book’ " written on the cover or cover pages, if not she will at least mention it in the foreword or whatever…

Posted by bec majec *roar* on September 05, 2009, 12:03 AM report to moderator

I cannot wait for the encyclopedia! It will be amazing!

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on September 05, 2009, 01:35 AM report to moderator
C9651bb469eb9c5e_thumb

They really should name it The Scottish Book when it comes out. That’s what we all call it!

Posted by hglovesrw {ROAR} on September 05, 2009, 02:23 AM report to moderator
Bullet_thumb

hooray hooray hooray!!

Posted by TerieB on September 05, 2009, 03:12 AM report to moderator
Siriusblack_thumb

YAY! so excited!!!! Best news EVER!!!

Posted by Shalanarah on September 05, 2009, 03:28 AM report to moderator

This is the most exciting news I’ve heard since the release date of the Half-Blood Prince movie!

Posted by Hermionerules!1844 on September 05, 2009, 03:33 AM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

I truly hope that once the Scottish Book (aka the encyclopedia) is finally released, there will be countdowns and midnight release parties and all that jazz. Being new to the book fandom, I’ve missed all the HP book release parties they’ve held over the years. :( Though with the last two books, I did go see the queues here in Helsinki, but because I wasn’t into the books back then, I didn’t stay all night. And it certainly didn’t even cross my mind back then to fly over to London for a midnight release party or for some of those Jo’s reading sessions. But now, if the Scottish Book will ever become reality and if they are going to hold midnight release parties for it, I will definitely do my utmost to be there. In Gryffindor costume, doing the whole fan thing. And I don’t care how old I am when it happens. :)

Posted by MischiefManaged on September 05, 2009, 04:29 AM report to moderator
Dgraymanclockroom37_thumb

Squee Dies ’Nuff said.

Posted by Rumbleroarϟ{WBM!}ǝıʞɔnp! on September 05, 2009, 04:51 AM report to moderator
Royaltyofnarniaavie3_thumb

Great news!! I hope she’s really enjoying writing the Scottish Book and she can take whatever time she needs! Only the fact that she’s writing it makes my day!! You’re brilliant Jo!!!

Posted by lollifant on September 05, 2009, 04:55 AM report to moderator
98143829_thumb
1910 Points

Great news!!!!

Posted by Jane_Potter on September 05, 2009, 05:09 AM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

I sure would like to see her notes.

Posted by Girlraven1 on September 05, 2009, 05:18 AM report to moderator

His father's... this had been his father's. He let the material flow over his hands, smoother than silk, light as air. [i]Use it well,[/i] the note had said.