Ian Rankin Says JK Rowling "Writing Family Trees" and Working on Scottish Book

J.K. Rowling
September 04, 2009, 02:41 PM

Author Ian Rankin has given a new interview on BBC radio with Simon Mayo (download here) where he mentions his friend and neighbor in Scotland, J.K. Rowling. In the middle of this interview, Mr. Rankin notes that while he has not seen the Harry Potter author in some time, he said she "was working on her Harry Potter encyclopedia" and "drawing family trees for all the characters, going back generations." This of course is not a surprise as Jo has said many times in the past that she is working again on various projects, as highlighted last year when she confirmed she was writing again in cafes, and has often expressed her desire to create the definitive encyclopedia of the beloved Harry Potter world.

Please note, as exciting as this is, we stress that it is important to release Mr. Rankin did not say or imply the Scottish book was to be released any time soon, again just noting he had seen her working on the book aka "The Scottish Book" as she first referred to the name during the interview with PotterCast in December, 2007.

Thanks to all who owled!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Myleaky_thumb

This makes me so freaking Happy. If I die tomorrow, Which I hope I don’t, I will die a Happy Woman, because JKR is working on the Scottish Book. :DDDDD

Posted by Slytherin4Life on September 06, 2009, 12:17 AM report to moderator
2640_1106109818241_1391663961_305047_8301715_n_thumb

YA! YA! YA! Thank you! CANNOT WAIT!!!

Posted by hrslvr529 on September 06, 2009, 12:59 AM report to moderator
Hpv16_thumb

Eeee, exciting! We figured she was working on it, but it’s still exciting to get some kind of confirmation, right? :) No rush Jo, take your time. :)

Posted by Mrs.Brisby on September 06, 2009, 11:35 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

best news!!

Posted by The Nerd on September 06, 2009, 11:56 AM report to moderator
Picture_1_thumb

YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!! OH MY GOD I CANNOT WAIT

Posted by theREALGinnyWeasley on September 06, 2009, 01:13 PM report to moderator
Icondude_thumb

Hmm…you’d think that with all those fabled “boxes and boxes of notes”, she’d already have this stuff written out, right? Yet another mark against the seventeen years of planning.

Posted by starlesswinter on September 06, 2009, 01:15 PM report to moderator

omg!!!! I’m soooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this soooo made my week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by loony_luvgood on September 06, 2009, 02:26 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-stars_thumb

sweeeeet! i can’t wait.

Posted by harrygetsme on September 06, 2009, 05:42 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_characters_thumb

omg i can’t wait 2 read da encyclopedia!!!!! and 2 c the family trees!!! YAYYAYYAY

Posted by olivia_weasley_232 {*ROAR*} on September 06, 2009, 08:29 PM report to moderator
Moon3_thumb

I can’t wait! I am very much looking forward to this book!!!

Posted by Figment on September 06, 2009, 10:09 PM report to moderator
Kat_thumb

Yes! I’m so happy she’s writing more. It’ll be interesting reading about family trees…

Posted by Mercy on September 06, 2009, 10:11 PM report to moderator
Kat_thumb

Posted by Mercy on September 06, 2009, 10:15 PM report to moderator

Way to go JO kep them comming you write so well very interesting to say the least.

Posted by HGROSS44 on September 07, 2009, 03:14 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

awesome…im really excited for this book to come out. Hope it’s near…

Posted by alegria35 on September 07, 2009, 03:28 AM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

@starlesswinter, may I be so bold to ask, what are you trying to say? I mean, are you doubting Jo’s words on the “fabled boxes and boxes of notes” because you think she’s really a witch who’s gotten a special permission from the Ministry Of Magic to breach the Statute Of Secrecy and tell Harry’s story to the world at large? Or are you doubting her because of something more sinister? Because you don’t believe her?

I personally have no reason to doubt that Jo wouldn’t have those boxes and boxes of notes. However, having piles and piles of papers and boxes full of notes does not mean that putting together the encyclopedia would be fast, that the Scottish Book would practically compile itself. Quote the contrary, in fact. Jo has to go through every single note and piece of paper, many of which could be hand-written, and that’s just a start. I’m not particularly familiar with writing encyclopedias but I’m guessing that putting together something as huge as the Scottish Book would be quite a complicated matter, involving a lot of decision-making and (re-)writing. She has to decide, for example, how to group and categorise things, how to present the entries, what kind of text style or register to use (somehow I can’t see her using a rather dull and boring encyclopedia-style register but rather the same style and register she’s used in the books), etc. And, she also has to decide, for sure, whether she’s ever going to write something new to bridge the gap between the end of DH and the Epilogue. If not, she can include the information in the Scottish Book. And so on.

Posted by MischiefManaged on September 07, 2009, 07:00 AM report to moderator

"Tut, tut -- hardly any of you remembered that my favorite color is lilac. I say so in [i]Year with the Yeti.[/i]"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014