Early Concept Art of Diagon Alley, Chamber of Secrets and The Burrow

Movie Art
September 26, 2009, 07:12 PM

With the news of the Ultimate Collector's editions of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets due out on December 8th, readers will note we will be seeing some rare artwork and more for the films included as part of these sets. As such, it is worth another look to check out artwork by acclaimed artist David Edward Bryd, who drew some early concept art for the first three Harry Potter films. Noteworthy are these sketches of Diagon Alley here and here for CoS, a popular scene of the decorated Great Hall of Hogwarts for Christmas, the Whomping Willow, the Burrow, and Dobby. This editor fully admits she is partial to the 'Luscious Libations and Scrumptious Sustenance' of THE LEAKY CAULDRON  ;)

Other artwork include this of the Knightbus, the Werewolf in PoA, the Shrieking Shack, Buckbeak, and Harry. Be sure to check out the official website of Mr. Bryd and all his fantastic work on Potter and more here at this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movie Art News

Haircut_march10_1__thumb

They seriously need to release an “Art of” book for the films once they’ve all been released. I’ve found concept art at artists’ websites, so I know they had quite a lot of different artists contribute over the years, but that doesn’t even cover all the additional sculpting, graphic design, prop design, set layouts, and costume design sketches.

My big question to Heyman was always when we would get the real DVDs with the real special features, but now that we have that answer, my number two question is when are we going to get an art of the film book that focuses on concept art (not set photos)?

Posted by Bre on September 27, 2009, 11:29 AM report to moderator
Mac3_thumb
1925 Points

i might have to buy the ultimate collectors editon now

Posted by Parkinsonpansy on September 27, 2009, 11:32 AM report to moderator
Wgwg2_thumb
2064 Points

Those are really awesome!

Posted by hp29 [ROAR!] on September 27, 2009, 11:33 AM report to moderator
Slytherin_girl_thumb

Fantastic!

Posted by LadySidi on September 27, 2009, 12:22 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

Awesome! I cannot believe how amazing these DVDs are going to be!

Aw, Harry is so cute. I love the green eyes. :(

Posted by The Hufflepuff Giraffe on September 27, 2009, 01:02 PM report to moderator
Iconator_e5413e9850e2294d5bfb655a9ead163b_thumb

I really like the Dobby and the Harry. I love his green eyes and the coloring of everything in that pic.

Posted by PadfootLover4ever on September 27, 2009, 01:48 PM report to moderator
20110227_001_thumb

Wow, see that is what the werewolf in PoA SHOULD have looked like!

Posted by Bookworm_Weasley {HS} {ROAR} on September 27, 2009, 01:52 PM report to moderator
20110227_001_thumb

Also, I’m curious to know whether the picture of Harry came before or after the casting of Dan, because if it came before, it’s a little spooky. There’s definitely a hint of Dan in there.

Posted by Bookworm_Weasley {HS} {ROAR} on September 27, 2009, 01:55 PM report to moderator
Imgres_1__thumb

Great pics

Posted by mjkalldaway (ROAR) on September 27, 2009, 02:14 PM report to moderator

nice pictures. i wish i could draw that well

Posted by ravenclaw_girl42 on September 27, 2009, 02:45 PM report to moderator
Mr_bean__thumb

wow. i love the pictures!!!!

Posted by hermionenluna TZS ROAR! on September 27, 2009, 03:02 PM report to moderator
Picture_1_thumb

That was awesome!!! <3

Posted by theREALGinnyWeasley on September 27, 2009, 03:50 PM report to moderator

They look great. I would love to have a collection of them. I would create a Harry Potter room in my house!

Posted by danaskeeter *ROAR!* on September 27, 2009, 03:53 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

To be honest, I’ve seen MUCH better concept art for movies. These look more like book art than film art. Love Lupin’s werewolf though, I always imagined more like that in the book, though the skeletal version works really well in the movie. Does no one else think the Shrieking Shack looks like Mary GrandePre’s sketch of it?

Posted by KiwiMcI on September 27, 2009, 05:56 PM report to moderator
P1010036_thumb

That concept art is so on the money it is awsome. Some of the scenes are just how I pictured them while reading the books. It was great that they made it into the film. I like lupin better in the sketch that in the movie. Great stuff. I would love to have them in my Harry Potter collection.

Posted by Tonks1OoM4,CW[ROAR] on September 27, 2009, 07:33 PM report to moderator

"You mean you're [i]running away[/i]?" said Harry disbelievingly. "After all that stuff you did in your books --"[br]"Books can be misleading," said Lockhart delicately.[br]"You wrote them!" Harry shouted.