PotterCast 203: Potter Got Smarter

PotterCast
Posted by: Edward
September 02, 2009, 09:52 PM

The 203rd episode of PotterCast, our Harry Potter podcast, is now online for this week with the debut of Potter Pundits, a new segment featuring a scholarly, yet entertaining, look at themes and symbolism in the Harry Potter novels.  Sue's News kicks off this episode with the rundown on the latest in Potter news, including Dan Radcliffe's Hobbit ambitions... or lack thereof, Harry Potter film set DVDs, Deathly Hallows filming, updates on JKRowling.com, and lots more.  The second part of episode five of the Acting Troupe follows the news, with the continuing story of Albus Severus during his time at Hogwarts.  Princely Pieces returns with more on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince film.  The PotterCasters go through the first moments of the film, starting from the first shot of Dumbledore through Harry's cafe experience.  Next, we have for you the first discussion with our Potter Pundits: Travis Prinzi, James W. Thomas, and John Granger.  In this new segment, we get to meet our Pundits and reveal the kind of discussions this segment will feature in future episodes.  Finally, the show wraps up with a totally awesome surprise, some Harry Potter conference news, LeakyCon 2011 updates, LeakyCon Live Album release details, and much more!

A big thank you goes out to Jason Munday from the Ministry of Magic for creating our new intro music!

As a reminder, the LeakyCon DVD, which will be available to pre-order soon, will also include all wizard rock performances from our conference.  If you like live wizard rock, be sure to reserve your copy of the upcoming LeakyCon Live Album of the wizard rock live shows at our LeakyCon 2009 conference.  To listen, just hit the "Play" button on the right side of the page (->), or use iTunes, or direct download.

"Potter Got Smarter"
  • It's year five!
  • The meaning of changes to JKRowling.com.
  • Half-Blood Bits... or Princely Pieces!
  • Acting Troupe Episode Five, Part Two!
  • Premiere of Potter Pundits!
  • A Totally Awesome Wrap Up!
  • LeakyCon 2011 news and updates.
  • LeakyCon 2009 Live Album updates!
  • Follow our LeakyCon 2011 Twitter and become a fan on Facebook!
  • Reserve your copy of the LeakyCon Live Album now!
RT: 72:42

Also, special thanks to our ever-vigilant UStream Mods for monitoring the live PotterCast recordings.

LeakyCon 2011: A Harry Potter Conference in Orlando!
“Harry, A History” Website
Jingle Spells 2
PotterCast Vlogs
Podcast Alley
Digg

Direct download.

Low-band Direct download.

Remember you don't need an iPod to listen. Listen easily on iTunes, which you can download and install here, by clicking here to listen, or you can just use the streaming Flash player at PotterCast.com or just on the right side of this page. Discussion of the PotterCast is right here. Enjoy!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent PotterCast News

Travisspeaking_thumb

Thanks for all the kind comments and the warm welcome! Make sure you check out my Potter Pundits post at PotterCast.com – we’re looking for feedback on topic ideas!

Posted by Travis Prinzi on September 04, 2009, 12:14 PM report to moderator
Araneus_diadematus_thumb

…and I really agree with John’s point about the bridge: JKR has always thought that she wasn’t actually pulling punches w.r.t. the graveness of the situations… I think in “The Other Minister” a bridge collapse implied deaths, and to have everyone escape the bridge collapse in the movie was a bit of a cop-out… probably just to keep the rating PG-13. JKR doesn’t believe in sheltering children below 13 from these realities of evil, but the MPAA does.

Posted by Caracticus on September 04, 2009, 12:18 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

I just listened to it last night…. great new episode! I love the intro music too. :) Oh and I TOTALLY agree with John about the bridge thing.. I have watched the movie 3 times and I’m positive that NO ONE falls off the bridge in the film… very corny and too safe in my opinion.

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on September 04, 2009, 04:38 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_025-copy_thumb

i love the new segment! i can’t wait to hear more from the potter pundits! i LOVE looking at themes in books, and have so much enjoyed rereading all of them for myself, and it’s nice to hear some scholarly discussion about it!

Posted by Rinny on September 04, 2009, 04:53 PM report to moderator
Imgres_1__thumb

finally!

Posted by mjkalldaway (ROAR) on September 04, 2009, 06:19 PM report to moderator

The new segment sounds great!

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on September 05, 2009, 01:23 AM report to moderator
Max_wild_thumb

I LOVED the Potter Pundits! It’s been quite a while since I read serious Potter discussion, maybe because there are no more books to wait for, I don’t know, but I do know that I missed it! The segment got me really excited to hear what they have planned, there is so much to discuss! Give them their own show!

Posted by Miss Fawcett on September 05, 2009, 10:54 AM report to moderator

I’m already in love with potter pundits!!!! -SUPERB addition!!!

Posted by AudreyLouiseLovegood on September 05, 2009, 09:20 PM report to moderator

soooooooooooooo funny!!!

Posted by AudreyLouiseLovegood on September 05, 2009, 09:22 PM report to moderator

Acting Troupe episode 5 was sad… I hope that everything works out :(… and I’m sure it will :D )

Posted by AudreyLouiseLovegood on September 05, 2009, 09:25 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

SO COOL!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on September 05, 2009, 09:25 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

I really want the Potter Pundits to discuss the similarities between Kurtz and Voldemort and, to a lesser extent, Marlow and Pettigrew.

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on September 06, 2009, 02:49 AM report to moderator
Image_thumb

Sounds amazing! Yayyy :)

Posted by Smitch on September 06, 2009, 02:28 PM report to moderator
Imgp1695a_thumb

Listened to about half and am enjoying it so far! Very exciting about the Potter Pundits segment.
The new intro music is also a lot of fun. I’m so late to the game that I just recently subscribed to Pottercast and started listening in the middle of Albus’s story. I’ll have to see if transcripts are available, or if nothing else, listen to older podcasts.

Posted by diva_alix on September 10, 2009, 04:04 PM report to moderator
The_master_close_up_thumb

I started a Potter Pundits Fans group on MyLeaky. Feel free to sign up & leave your thoughts on the Potter Pundits segment.

Posted by vespasian68967 on September 16, 2009, 01:50 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Scars can come in handy. I have one myself above my left knee that is a perfect map of the London Underground."