Harry Potter Park Confirmed Opening Spring 2010, Rides, Features Unveiled

Fans
Posted by: Melissa
September 15, 2009, 11:11 AM

At today's Wizarding World of Harry Potter event in Orlando, Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy), who was on hand to help with the announcements, confirmed the attraction will be opening in Spring 2010 - and more, as this post gets updated.

UPDATE: Videos are now available for download here in our galleries:
Entire Special Webcast with Tom Felton on Gryffindor Common Set
Flythrough
Map of Wizarding World

The Marauder's Map guide to the park was created by the same people who created the Marauder's Map for the movies.

In a release, J.K. Rowling said, "The plans I've seen look incredibly exciting, and I don't think fans of the books or films will be disappointed."

Hi Res Photos now available!
Map of Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Zonkos Joke Shop
Honeydukes
Owlery
Ollivanders
Flying Harry
Flight of the Hippogriff Ride
Hog's Head
Filch's Confiscated Emporium
Dervish and Banges
Dragon's Challenge
Hogwarts Exterior

Birds Eye View Poster of Park
Hogwarts

The announcement took place on a Gryffindor Common Room set; Tom Felton said, "I'm not usually welcome in the Gryffindor Common Room," as he sat down.

Park will be more than 22 acres and between current Jurassic Park Lost Continent area and "Dueling Dragons" roller coaster.

The park will begin at an entryway to Hogsmeade, inside of which will be the Hogwarts Express.

Ollivander's Wand Shop will be recreated, featuring "thousands" of dusty boxes lining the shelves and an interactive experience where guests have a wand choose them. This, said Paul Dario, a producer on the park, said came from Jo talking about being on set the moment Harry had his wand chosen. "It was a very special moment," she told them.

Also: Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods will be inside the Hogwarts Castle, contain Ministry of Magic and magical creatures and merchandise, including Omnioculars and remote control Golden Snitches.

A new ride, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, will travel through the insides of Hogwarts, sweeping up through the castle and has been written specifically for the park (though it has not been revealed by whom). We will see "many parts" of the castle.

The entry gates that were in the sixth film will be recreated outside the castle structure in the park.

On the sides of the Hogsmeade street will be Honeydukes Sweet Shop, Dervish and Banges, Zonkos Joke Shop. Sweets sold in Honeydukes; Dervish and Banges will have items like Remembralls, SpectreSpecs, etc.

The Three Broomsticks and Hogs Head will feature "authentic" fare as well as butterbeer and pumpkin juice, in a medieval setting.

The Owlery will feature owls resting on rafters, and will provide a calm environment to take a break from the rest of the action. Also "owls" will be sent out using an official postmark only available at the park.

All the shops will offer merchandise that can only be bought at the park.

The current Dueling Dragons ride will now be the Dragon Challenge, where you can choose between a Chinese Fireball and Hungarian Horntail.

Another ride, the Flying Hippogriff (probably a reinvention of the flying unicorn that was at the park) will be framed around Care of Magical Creatures Class. Hagrid will instruct on the proper ride of a hippogriff.

Art director Alan Gilmore said the park will be a "completely immersive environment, "completely faithful" to books and films."

According to the NYTimes the park is estimated to cost about $265 million to produce.

Tom Felton: "It's going to blow some serious minds."

Stay tuned to Leaky and our Park Info Page for more.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

The pictures are amazing! It all sounds so great!

Posted by Leeann on September 16, 2009, 07:48 AM report to moderator
Books_covers_us_deluxed_dh_1-2_thumb

“Filch’s Emporium of Confiscated Goods” BWAHHHH HA HA! LOL!
And I’m so glad they’re incorporating one of my favorite rides at this park – I figured the DD HAD to stay. I mean, they’re dragons! How is that NOT related to HP?!

Posted by Emily Erland on September 16, 2009, 08:32 AM report to moderator
Untitled-4_thumb

YES!! I envy all of you who live in Florida. I seriously need to go there! Too bad I’m probably going to have to wait a few years before I’m able to go. But, WOW!!!!

Posted by mini bagel on September 16, 2009, 08:57 AM report to moderator

It’ll be like I am actually in Hogwarts….like a student there!
Would love to work there….if I lived in Florida!

Posted by You Know Stew [ROAR!] on September 16, 2009, 09:54 AM report to moderator

Oh my goodness!
This post has gotten me extremely excited. I must go. It’s like experiencing HP on a whole new level. From the looks of the sketches, the interior and exterior look veryy much like the book/movies portrayed it.

Posted by You Know Stew [ROAR!] on September 16, 2009, 09:56 AM report to moderator

I agree with everything the main 3 said in the video.
This is unprecedented what they are doing and will really allow for all the Potter fans to see what a “day-in-the-life” of Harry would be like !

Posted by You Know Stew [ROAR!] on September 16, 2009, 09:59 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

The new pics are really awesome. I am so excited. When the news of a theme park was first announced all those years ago, I was unsure about it but, with every new pic and report and article, it just keeps on getting better & better.

Posted by Moose_Starr on September 16, 2009, 10:18 AM report to moderator

Wow it seems that they are working to a market age of 7 to 14 which the movie was. But I would Not miss it that is at all and I am 146 years. emagine the first day.

Horas1

Posted by horas1 on September 16, 2009, 11:04 AM report to moderator
Nev1_thumb

I wonder how long it will take me to save up to go?

Posted by Morgaine of Avalon on September 16, 2009, 11:27 AM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

so awesome! :D

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on September 16, 2009, 11:36 AM report to moderator
I-quote_hogwarts0144_thumb

WOAH!!! So EXCITED!

Posted by BewareoftheNargles {WBM} on September 16, 2009, 12:24 PM report to moderator

OMG OMG OMG I AM SO EXCITED! OMG OMG OMG!

Posted by ♥Sparkly Purple Cloud♥{WBM}♥ on September 16, 2009, 01:03 PM report to moderator
Dhsmall_thumb

OMG I cannot wait to go there!!!!

Posted by akcorr on September 16, 2009, 01:35 PM report to moderator

looks great really. plenty of places to part the parents from their cash.plenty of things if i could i would buy. “completely faithful” to books and films." except it’s not in Britain! I hope they open Leavesden Studios to the public. I’ve got more chance of seeing that than going to Florida.

Posted by jain on September 16, 2009, 02:04 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

THIS IS HUGE!!!!

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on September 16, 2009, 02:23 PM report to moderator

"Oh, and dear" -- she caught Neville by the arm as he made to stand up -- "after you've broken your first cup, would you be so kind as to select one of the blue patterned ones? I'm rather attached to the pink."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014