Harry Potter Park Confirmed Opening Spring 2010, Rides, Features Unveiled

Fans
Posted by: Melissa
September 15, 2009, 11:11 AM

At today's Wizarding World of Harry Potter event in Orlando, Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy), who was on hand to help with the announcements, confirmed the attraction will be opening in Spring 2010 - and more, as this post gets updated.

UPDATE: Videos are now available for download here in our galleries:
Entire Special Webcast with Tom Felton on Gryffindor Common Set
Flythrough
Map of Wizarding World

The Marauder's Map guide to the park was created by the same people who created the Marauder's Map for the movies.

In a release, J.K. Rowling said, "The plans I've seen look incredibly exciting, and I don't think fans of the books or films will be disappointed."

Hi Res Photos now available!
Map of Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Zonkos Joke Shop
Honeydukes
Owlery
Ollivanders
Flying Harry
Flight of the Hippogriff Ride
Hog's Head
Filch's Confiscated Emporium
Dervish and Banges
Dragon's Challenge
Hogwarts Exterior

Birds Eye View Poster of Park
Hogwarts

The announcement took place on a Gryffindor Common Room set; Tom Felton said, "I'm not usually welcome in the Gryffindor Common Room," as he sat down.

Park will be more than 22 acres and between current Jurassic Park Lost Continent area and "Dueling Dragons" roller coaster.

The park will begin at an entryway to Hogsmeade, inside of which will be the Hogwarts Express.

Ollivander's Wand Shop will be recreated, featuring "thousands" of dusty boxes lining the shelves and an interactive experience where guests have a wand choose them. This, said Paul Dario, a producer on the park, said came from Jo talking about being on set the moment Harry had his wand chosen. "It was a very special moment," she told them.

Also: Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods will be inside the Hogwarts Castle, contain Ministry of Magic and magical creatures and merchandise, including Omnioculars and remote control Golden Snitches.

A new ride, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, will travel through the insides of Hogwarts, sweeping up through the castle and has been written specifically for the park (though it has not been revealed by whom). We will see "many parts" of the castle.

The entry gates that were in the sixth film will be recreated outside the castle structure in the park.

On the sides of the Hogsmeade street will be Honeydukes Sweet Shop, Dervish and Banges, Zonkos Joke Shop. Sweets sold in Honeydukes; Dervish and Banges will have items like Remembralls, SpectreSpecs, etc.

The Three Broomsticks and Hogs Head will feature "authentic" fare as well as butterbeer and pumpkin juice, in a medieval setting.

The Owlery will feature owls resting on rafters, and will provide a calm environment to take a break from the rest of the action. Also "owls" will be sent out using an official postmark only available at the park.

All the shops will offer merchandise that can only be bought at the park.

The current Dueling Dragons ride will now be the Dragon Challenge, where you can choose between a Chinese Fireball and Hungarian Horntail.

Another ride, the Flying Hippogriff (probably a reinvention of the flying unicorn that was at the park) will be framed around Care of Magical Creatures Class. Hagrid will instruct on the proper ride of a hippogriff.

Art director Alan Gilmore said the park will be a "completely immersive environment, "completely faithful" to books and films."

According to the NYTimes the park is estimated to cost about $265 million to produce.

Tom Felton: "It's going to blow some serious minds."

Stay tuned to Leaky and our Park Info Page for more.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

……. wow! I mean I was so cynical about this but… wow! This looks incredible. Though no way to diss Americans but constantly hearing American accents won’t really keep the authenticity up too long for me. But this is incredible! (would have been awesome in Scotland though- cold weather and all)

Posted by KiwiMcI on September 15, 2009, 03:33 PM report to moderator
Shoe_thumb

AWESOME! You know, any of the Harry Potter trio actors could fund their own theme parks as the World Records post earlier said they make about 2-3 times $265 million per film…

Posted by eagleblue on September 15, 2009, 03:40 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

this is incredible!!! i can’t wait!!!!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on September 15, 2009, 03:43 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

Wow. Based on the media that has been shared in this release, I think we can safely say that this park will exceed the wildest expectations and dreams of every fan. As for the ride through Hogwarts castle, it will furnish an experience that will stay with fans for life, a genuine trip through the universe that they have ached to penetrate for so long. I look forward to visiting the theme park when it opens immensely!

Posted by Kirk on September 15, 2009, 04:02 PM report to moderator

Okay…. still no exact opening date. This is cool info but I still want the date!

Posted by iamnotworriedharry on September 15, 2009, 04:03 PM report to moderator
Diggory-2_thumb

I have no idea how the hell they’ll do all of that. It will be AMAZING though.
Got to save my moneys to fly over to there!

Posted by lozzaa on September 15, 2009, 04:20 PM report to moderator
Dgraymanclockroom37_thumb

SQUEE!!!!!

Oh my god! I’m so excited! MY BIRTHDAY IS IN THE SPRING TIME!!! :D :D :D I LOVE ORLANDO! :D OMIGOD I could go ALL CAPS I’m SO FRIKKIN EXCITED!

Alright, calm down…

lol @ Tom’s Comment, I know it’ll blow my mind! In our face Twilight fandom!

Poor Mom & Dad, I’m going to empty their bank accounts… :D

Posted by Rumbleroarϟ{WBM!}ǝıʞɔnp! on September 15, 2009, 04:27 PM report to moderator
Mac3_thumb
1925 Points

omg i cant wait this is like a dream come true!!!!

Posted by Parkinsonpansy on September 15, 2009, 04:31 PM report to moderator
Msn_thumb

“It’s going to blow some serious minds.”

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on September 15, 2009, 04:41 PM report to moderator
Animation_thumb

im so excited hope i can go this spring if not ill be very upest

Posted by lilmisssnape on September 15, 2009, 04:50 PM report to moderator

doesn’t it look like only 2 rides and NO QUIDDITCH?!

Posted by ~Dumbles4ever~ on September 15, 2009, 04:59 PM report to moderator
Jack-o-lanterns_thumb

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I rode a Hungarian Horntail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS IS EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Hermione Weasley on September 15, 2009, 05:08 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Oh my .. OMG. Speechless.

Posted by Christine on September 15, 2009, 05:10 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

OMG. I’M GOING THERE EVEN IF IT KILLS ME. I’m so excited for every single aspect of the park. I’m going the FIRST DAY. I MUST!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by CarinaPotter (ROAR!) on September 15, 2009, 05:15 PM report to moderator
Th_hufflepuff2_thumb

I can’t wait! I’m going to Florida for the first time for this during the summer! Now I now it’s going to be epic!

Posted by lunalovegood97 on September 15, 2009, 05:15 PM report to moderator

"Well, my father is [i]very[/i] supportive of any anti-Ministry action!... He's always saying he'd believe anything of Fudge, I mean, the number of goblins Fudge has had assassinated! And of course he uses the Department of Mysteries to develop terrible p