Harry Potter Park Confirmed Opening Spring 2010, Rides, Features Unveiled

Fans
Posted by: Melissa
September 15, 2009, 11:11 AM

At today's Wizarding World of Harry Potter event in Orlando, Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy), who was on hand to help with the announcements, confirmed the attraction will be opening in Spring 2010 - and more, as this post gets updated.

UPDATE: Videos are now available for download here in our galleries:
Entire Special Webcast with Tom Felton on Gryffindor Common Set
Flythrough
Map of Wizarding World

The Marauder's Map guide to the park was created by the same people who created the Marauder's Map for the movies.

In a release, J.K. Rowling said, "The plans I've seen look incredibly exciting, and I don't think fans of the books or films will be disappointed."

Hi Res Photos now available!
Map of Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Zonkos Joke Shop
Honeydukes
Owlery
Ollivanders
Flying Harry
Flight of the Hippogriff Ride
Hog's Head
Filch's Confiscated Emporium
Dervish and Banges
Dragon's Challenge
Hogwarts Exterior

Birds Eye View Poster of Park
Hogwarts

The announcement took place on a Gryffindor Common Room set; Tom Felton said, "I'm not usually welcome in the Gryffindor Common Room," as he sat down.

Park will be more than 22 acres and between current Jurassic Park Lost Continent area and "Dueling Dragons" roller coaster.

The park will begin at an entryway to Hogsmeade, inside of which will be the Hogwarts Express.

Ollivander's Wand Shop will be recreated, featuring "thousands" of dusty boxes lining the shelves and an interactive experience where guests have a wand choose them. This, said Paul Dario, a producer on the park, said came from Jo talking about being on set the moment Harry had his wand chosen. "It was a very special moment," she told them.

Also: Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods will be inside the Hogwarts Castle, contain Ministry of Magic and magical creatures and merchandise, including Omnioculars and remote control Golden Snitches.

A new ride, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, will travel through the insides of Hogwarts, sweeping up through the castle and has been written specifically for the park (though it has not been revealed by whom). We will see "many parts" of the castle.

The entry gates that were in the sixth film will be recreated outside the castle structure in the park.

On the sides of the Hogsmeade street will be Honeydukes Sweet Shop, Dervish and Banges, Zonkos Joke Shop. Sweets sold in Honeydukes; Dervish and Banges will have items like Remembralls, SpectreSpecs, etc.

The Three Broomsticks and Hogs Head will feature "authentic" fare as well as butterbeer and pumpkin juice, in a medieval setting.

The Owlery will feature owls resting on rafters, and will provide a calm environment to take a break from the rest of the action. Also "owls" will be sent out using an official postmark only available at the park.

All the shops will offer merchandise that can only be bought at the park.

The current Dueling Dragons ride will now be the Dragon Challenge, where you can choose between a Chinese Fireball and Hungarian Horntail.

Another ride, the Flying Hippogriff (probably a reinvention of the flying unicorn that was at the park) will be framed around Care of Magical Creatures Class. Hagrid will instruct on the proper ride of a hippogriff.

Art director Alan Gilmore said the park will be a "completely immersive environment, "completely faithful" to books and films."

According to the NYTimes the park is estimated to cost about $265 million to produce.

Tom Felton: "It's going to blow some serious minds."

Stay tuned to Leaky and our Park Info Page for more.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

Avatardeathlyhallows_thumb

Wow! Looks really promising!

Posted by Prosophules on September 15, 2009, 01:56 PM report to moderator

I’m so excited for this, I really want to go to the opening!

Posted by morgana863 on September 15, 2009, 02:00 PM report to moderator
Chibilupin_thumb

Absolutely awesome! I’m so excited now for the theme park and wanna go to it now! The three rides sound good and I like the conceprt art for the Hogsmeade shops like Zonko’s and Oliivander’s. It would be good if they could add more rides and attractions in the future like something to do with the Hogwarts Express, Gringrott’s Bank, etc.

Posted by moony_lupin on September 15, 2009, 02:26 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Just dug it so I should be getting 300 points :)

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on September 15, 2009, 02:32 PM report to moderator
Peeps_reduced_dscn0087_thumb

I Dugg as Kyle Takemori, Facebook how do I get my points

Posted by huffledor on September 15, 2009, 02:36 PM report to moderator
Normal_hp_actors_thumb

Can’t wait. I have to start saving now.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on September 15, 2009, 02:47 PM report to moderator
Normal_hp_actors_thumb

Can’t wait. I have to start saving now.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on September 15, 2009, 02:47 PM report to moderator
____09291_thumb

i must go there…i must…

Posted by ethelnorthbrook {ROAR} on September 15, 2009, 02:52 PM report to moderator
Dl_10_thumb

AAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by GinnyPotter:) on September 15, 2009, 02:59 PM report to moderator
Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

I’ll go there during Leakycon and nothing will stop me, even if it means that i will have to drop a semester at uni, in order to raise money!

Posted by Mr. Brightside on September 15, 2009, 03:14 PM report to moderator
Always_thumb

I am ridiculously excited !!!!!!!!!! Didn’t think i could get anymore excited about this. Now i just need to win the lottery…

Posted by spiritbound on September 15, 2009, 03:18 PM report to moderator
Amelie_by_yishui_thumb

OMG I CAN’T BELIEVE IT, I’M SOOOO HAPPY RIGHT NOW, THIS PARK IS GOING TO MAKE MY LIFE!

Posted by RAzzLe on September 15, 2009, 03:19 PM report to moderator

OMG! Wait for me spring 2010!!!!!!!! I’ll surely be there!!!!

Posted by humbert0 on September 15, 2009, 03:21 PM report to moderator
Pic_20_2312ma14060069-0001_thumb

So nice to be living in Hogwarts,FLorida :) CAN"T WAIT!!

Posted by Dlcohm7 on September 15, 2009, 03:21 PM report to moderator
Triogrounds2cut_thumb

This is really really awesome! I have a rather Harry Potter fan friend that lives in Orlando, so hopefully I will see her and go to Universal a the same time. If that doesn’t work out I’ll go during LeakyCon 2011.

Posted by kayzz on September 15, 2009, 03:32 PM report to moderator

...they saw three tall and beautiful veela standing in a clearing, surrounded by a gaggle of young wizards, all of whom were talking very loudly...[br]...next second Ron was yelling, "Did I tell you I've invented a broomstick that'll reach Jupiter?"[br][i

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014