Harry Potter Park Confirmed Opening Spring 2010, Rides, Features Unveiled

Fans
Posted by: Melissa
September 15, 2009, 11:11 AM

At today's Wizarding World of Harry Potter event in Orlando, Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy), who was on hand to help with the announcements, confirmed the attraction will be opening in Spring 2010 - and more, as this post gets updated.

UPDATE: Videos are now available for download here in our galleries:
Entire Special Webcast with Tom Felton on Gryffindor Common Set
Flythrough
Map of Wizarding World

The Marauder's Map guide to the park was created by the same people who created the Marauder's Map for the movies.

In a release, J.K. Rowling said, "The plans I've seen look incredibly exciting, and I don't think fans of the books or films will be disappointed."

Hi Res Photos now available!
Map of Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Zonkos Joke Shop
Honeydukes
Owlery
Ollivanders
Flying Harry
Flight of the Hippogriff Ride
Hog's Head
Filch's Confiscated Emporium
Dervish and Banges
Dragon's Challenge
Hogwarts Exterior

Birds Eye View Poster of Park
Hogwarts

The announcement took place on a Gryffindor Common Room set; Tom Felton said, "I'm not usually welcome in the Gryffindor Common Room," as he sat down.

Park will be more than 22 acres and between current Jurassic Park Lost Continent area and "Dueling Dragons" roller coaster.

The park will begin at an entryway to Hogsmeade, inside of which will be the Hogwarts Express.

Ollivander's Wand Shop will be recreated, featuring "thousands" of dusty boxes lining the shelves and an interactive experience where guests have a wand choose them. This, said Paul Dario, a producer on the park, said came from Jo talking about being on set the moment Harry had his wand chosen. "It was a very special moment," she told them.

Also: Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods will be inside the Hogwarts Castle, contain Ministry of Magic and magical creatures and merchandise, including Omnioculars and remote control Golden Snitches.

A new ride, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, will travel through the insides of Hogwarts, sweeping up through the castle and has been written specifically for the park (though it has not been revealed by whom). We will see "many parts" of the castle.

The entry gates that were in the sixth film will be recreated outside the castle structure in the park.

On the sides of the Hogsmeade street will be Honeydukes Sweet Shop, Dervish and Banges, Zonkos Joke Shop. Sweets sold in Honeydukes; Dervish and Banges will have items like Remembralls, SpectreSpecs, etc.

The Three Broomsticks and Hogs Head will feature "authentic" fare as well as butterbeer and pumpkin juice, in a medieval setting.

The Owlery will feature owls resting on rafters, and will provide a calm environment to take a break from the rest of the action. Also "owls" will be sent out using an official postmark only available at the park.

All the shops will offer merchandise that can only be bought at the park.

The current Dueling Dragons ride will now be the Dragon Challenge, where you can choose between a Chinese Fireball and Hungarian Horntail.

Another ride, the Flying Hippogriff (probably a reinvention of the flying unicorn that was at the park) will be framed around Care of Magical Creatures Class. Hagrid will instruct on the proper ride of a hippogriff.

Art director Alan Gilmore said the park will be a "completely immersive environment, "completely faithful" to books and films."

According to the NYTimes the park is estimated to cost about $265 million to produce.

Tom Felton: "It's going to blow some serious minds."

Stay tuned to Leaky and our Park Info Page for more.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

Hp-trio-dhx_thumb

Oh my Rowling! this sounds soooo amazing!! i really need to get there when it opens :D

Posted by xxIBelieveInNarglesxx on September 15, 2009, 01:05 PM report to moderator
Bokorm_-p_thumb

Omg! Can not wait! Seriously hope they don’t screw this park up. Which I have faith that they won’t.
Looks good so far anyway! :D

Posted by Lisbry on September 15, 2009, 01:07 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

It looks fantastic. We were already talking about going back to Orlando next spring for Disney World (which is still my favorite). But I will have to spend a few days at Universal for this. I wish they would set a firm date though. I’d hate to plan a trip and then find out that Harry Potter wasn’t open yet.

Posted by Eeyore on September 15, 2009, 01:12 PM report to moderator
108_thumb

Wow, wow wow. I wish there was the leaky cauldron too but it looks really awesome. I can’t wait till leakycon!

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on September 15, 2009, 01:23 PM report to moderator
Gryffindor_lion_thumb

The pictures literally made me gasp… it’s so amazing!!!
Gah, 2010 can not get here soon enough…

Posted by dumblebumble on September 15, 2009, 01:24 PM report to moderator
Tshirt_thumb

I wanna go so bad!

Posted by makochibi on September 15, 2009, 01:26 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_jun_033_thumb

AHHH! I can’t wait!!

Posted by **Holly** on September 15, 2009, 01:31 PM report to moderator
41105_10150254604520192_615620191_14488176_2111077_n_thumb

F YEAH!

Posted by placebowiz on September 15, 2009, 01:35 PM report to moderator
Rat_ava_2_thumb

AIEEEEEEE!! Have to go, have to go, have to go…!!

Posted by axlgirl [FTC!] on September 15, 2009, 01:41 PM report to moderator
Pluto_thumb

Ohhhhhhh
I want a maroder’s map and a remote control snitch NOW!

Posted by simos girl {WBM} ~Lemon~ on September 15, 2009, 01:42 PM report to moderator
Becky_thumb

Oh my gosh just hearing about this has gotten me so excited! My bad, frustrating day just got a whole lot better!

Posted by The Silver Doe on September 15, 2009, 01:44 PM report to moderator
Base1_thumb

Those photos look amazing!
I’m listening to the ustream right now :)

Posted by evannaa on September 15, 2009, 01:45 PM report to moderator
26097981_thumb

I really would love to go. Hope I can make it sometime!

Posted by jenge {Meredith Mooncloud} ~ [ITC!] on September 15, 2009, 01:49 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

SQUEE!!!! I’m so going there next year!!! i’m so excited!!!!

Posted by da_member0808 on September 15, 2009, 01:51 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

OMG IT LOOKS SO AMAZINGLY GREAT cries I can’t wait for it. Wouldn’t it be funny if you got put beside Dan or Jo or someone like that on a ride? I would be actually die of excitement.

Oh that pic of Harry (I guess Dan… whatever) on the broom is actually really cool. I’m making it my background xD.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on September 15, 2009, 01:51 PM report to moderator

"What do you see when you look in the mirror?"[br] "I? I see myself holding a pair of thick, woolen socks."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014