Harry Potter Park Confirmed Opening Spring 2010, Rides, Features Unveiled

Fans
Posted by: Melissa
September 15, 2009, 11:11 AM

At today's Wizarding World of Harry Potter event in Orlando, Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy), who was on hand to help with the announcements, confirmed the attraction will be opening in Spring 2010 - and more, as this post gets updated.

UPDATE: Videos are now available for download here in our galleries:
Entire Special Webcast with Tom Felton on Gryffindor Common Set
Flythrough
Map of Wizarding World

The Marauder's Map guide to the park was created by the same people who created the Marauder's Map for the movies.

In a release, J.K. Rowling said, "The plans I've seen look incredibly exciting, and I don't think fans of the books or films will be disappointed."

Hi Res Photos now available!
Map of Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Zonkos Joke Shop
Honeydukes
Owlery
Ollivanders
Flying Harry
Flight of the Hippogriff Ride
Hog's Head
Filch's Confiscated Emporium
Dervish and Banges
Dragon's Challenge
Hogwarts Exterior

Birds Eye View Poster of Park
Hogwarts

The announcement took place on a Gryffindor Common Room set; Tom Felton said, "I'm not usually welcome in the Gryffindor Common Room," as he sat down.

Park will be more than 22 acres and between current Jurassic Park Lost Continent area and "Dueling Dragons" roller coaster.

The park will begin at an entryway to Hogsmeade, inside of which will be the Hogwarts Express.

Ollivander's Wand Shop will be recreated, featuring "thousands" of dusty boxes lining the shelves and an interactive experience where guests have a wand choose them. This, said Paul Dario, a producer on the park, said came from Jo talking about being on set the moment Harry had his wand chosen. "It was a very special moment," she told them.

Also: Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods will be inside the Hogwarts Castle, contain Ministry of Magic and magical creatures and merchandise, including Omnioculars and remote control Golden Snitches.

A new ride, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, will travel through the insides of Hogwarts, sweeping up through the castle and has been written specifically for the park (though it has not been revealed by whom). We will see "many parts" of the castle.

The entry gates that were in the sixth film will be recreated outside the castle structure in the park.

On the sides of the Hogsmeade street will be Honeydukes Sweet Shop, Dervish and Banges, Zonkos Joke Shop. Sweets sold in Honeydukes; Dervish and Banges will have items like Remembralls, SpectreSpecs, etc.

The Three Broomsticks and Hogs Head will feature "authentic" fare as well as butterbeer and pumpkin juice, in a medieval setting.

The Owlery will feature owls resting on rafters, and will provide a calm environment to take a break from the rest of the action. Also "owls" will be sent out using an official postmark only available at the park.

All the shops will offer merchandise that can only be bought at the park.

The current Dueling Dragons ride will now be the Dragon Challenge, where you can choose between a Chinese Fireball and Hungarian Horntail.

Another ride, the Flying Hippogriff (probably a reinvention of the flying unicorn that was at the park) will be framed around Care of Magical Creatures Class. Hagrid will instruct on the proper ride of a hippogriff.

Art director Alan Gilmore said the park will be a "completely immersive environment, "completely faithful" to books and films."

According to the NYTimes the park is estimated to cost about $265 million to produce.

Tom Felton: "It's going to blow some serious minds."

Stay tuned to Leaky and our Park Info Page for more.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

Avatar_moose_thumb

I had planed for my wife & I to fly to the USA and go to its opening but looks like something “little” will be comming along in March which will be more important? Definately going to get there at some point though, it looks awsome!!!

Posted by pinkmoosely on September 17, 2009, 08:06 AM report to moderator

Eish, this is Harry Potter so commercialised. The books will remain the best way of ‘touching’ and ‘tasting’ and ‘absorbing’ Harry’s world.

Posted by longliveRemus on September 17, 2009, 09:24 AM report to moderator

This looks amazing! I can’t wait to sit at the Three Broomsticks with a Butterbeer and send an owl from the owlry!!

Posted by molly7 on September 17, 2009, 12:59 PM report to moderator
Avatar2_thumb

WOW ! I NEED to go here ! I will probably buy the whole place! lol

Posted by weasleygirl101(ROAR) on September 17, 2009, 02:22 PM report to moderator

WHY?!?!?! WHY DO I HAVE TO LIVE SO FAR AWAY IN MICHIGAN??!?!?!?! If. I. Don’t. Go. I. Will. Commit. Murder. ARGH!!

Posted by HP book Fanatic {LBMMGT} {WBM} on September 17, 2009, 03:23 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

THIS LOOKS AMAZING!! I can’t wait to go!! They’ve done an amazing job!!! I’m so excited!!! I can’t believe it’s going to open in the spring!

Posted by cghambright on September 17, 2009, 08:46 PM report to moderator
Redgold_gryffindor_greek_icon_thumb

sounds like a ton of fun….I really want to go…….

Posted by meuniquine on September 17, 2009, 10:47 PM report to moderator

I’m so excited! I’m planning a trip, right now. I NEED to go next year!

Posted by aj_ellybean on September 17, 2009, 11:24 PM report to moderator
The_slug_club_thumb

OH. MY. GOLLY. SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by The Slug Club on September 18, 2009, 11:40 AM report to moderator
Puppet_pals_yes_thumb

I want them to sell radish earrings there!! Sooo buying a pair of Spectrespecs!!!

Posted by phoenixes are in ravenclaw on September 18, 2009, 08:30 PM report to moderator
9013438_thumb

Don’t know when I will be able to afford to go! But I am very excited about it!

Posted by carebie on September 19, 2009, 01:10 AM report to moderator
Pluto_thumb

This will be amazing!

Posted by simos girl {WBM} ~Lemon~ on September 19, 2009, 09:51 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

awesum :) its biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig :O! and v v v expensive 2 make :S!! i wonder what pumpkin juice will taste like… coz i dnt like pumpkins :S

Posted by Beazy :) (Formerly: MidnightSun321 ) {!!ROAR!!} on September 19, 2009, 02:43 PM report to moderator
User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

AAAAAAAWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS! OMG!

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on September 19, 2009, 04:16 PM report to moderator
P1000452__3__thumb

“If I want to let my cat out, I will, and be d**ned your curfew.”

Posted by LulaL on September 19, 2009, 06:54 PM report to moderator

"Are you sure that's a real spell?" said the girl. "Well, it's not very good, is it? I've tried a few simple spells just for practice and it's all worked for me."