Harry Potter Park Confirmed Opening Spring 2010, Rides, Features Unveiled

Fans
Posted by: Melissa
September 15, 2009, 11:11 AM

At today's Wizarding World of Harry Potter event in Orlando, Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy), who was on hand to help with the announcements, confirmed the attraction will be opening in Spring 2010 - and more, as this post gets updated.

UPDATE: Videos are now available for download here in our galleries:
Entire Special Webcast with Tom Felton on Gryffindor Common Set
Flythrough
Map of Wizarding World

The Marauder's Map guide to the park was created by the same people who created the Marauder's Map for the movies.

In a release, J.K. Rowling said, "The plans I've seen look incredibly exciting, and I don't think fans of the books or films will be disappointed."

Hi Res Photos now available!
Map of Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Zonkos Joke Shop
Honeydukes
Owlery
Ollivanders
Flying Harry
Flight of the Hippogriff Ride
Hog's Head
Filch's Confiscated Emporium
Dervish and Banges
Dragon's Challenge
Hogwarts Exterior

Birds Eye View Poster of Park
Hogwarts

The announcement took place on a Gryffindor Common Room set; Tom Felton said, "I'm not usually welcome in the Gryffindor Common Room," as he sat down.

Park will be more than 22 acres and between current Jurassic Park Lost Continent area and "Dueling Dragons" roller coaster.

The park will begin at an entryway to Hogsmeade, inside of which will be the Hogwarts Express.

Ollivander's Wand Shop will be recreated, featuring "thousands" of dusty boxes lining the shelves and an interactive experience where guests have a wand choose them. This, said Paul Dario, a producer on the park, said came from Jo talking about being on set the moment Harry had his wand chosen. "It was a very special moment," she told them.

Also: Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods will be inside the Hogwarts Castle, contain Ministry of Magic and magical creatures and merchandise, including Omnioculars and remote control Golden Snitches.

A new ride, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, will travel through the insides of Hogwarts, sweeping up through the castle and has been written specifically for the park (though it has not been revealed by whom). We will see "many parts" of the castle.

The entry gates that were in the sixth film will be recreated outside the castle structure in the park.

On the sides of the Hogsmeade street will be Honeydukes Sweet Shop, Dervish and Banges, Zonkos Joke Shop. Sweets sold in Honeydukes; Dervish and Banges will have items like Remembralls, SpectreSpecs, etc.

The Three Broomsticks and Hogs Head will feature "authentic" fare as well as butterbeer and pumpkin juice, in a medieval setting.

The Owlery will feature owls resting on rafters, and will provide a calm environment to take a break from the rest of the action. Also "owls" will be sent out using an official postmark only available at the park.

All the shops will offer merchandise that can only be bought at the park.

The current Dueling Dragons ride will now be the Dragon Challenge, where you can choose between a Chinese Fireball and Hungarian Horntail.

Another ride, the Flying Hippogriff (probably a reinvention of the flying unicorn that was at the park) will be framed around Care of Magical Creatures Class. Hagrid will instruct on the proper ride of a hippogriff.

Art director Alan Gilmore said the park will be a "completely immersive environment, "completely faithful" to books and films."

According to the NYTimes the park is estimated to cost about $265 million to produce.

Tom Felton: "It's going to blow some serious minds."

Stay tuned to Leaky and our Park Info Page for more.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

Baron_haru___shall_we_dance____by_jasminealexandra_thumb

OH MY GOD I SOOOO HAVE TO GO!!!!!!!

Posted by Ganduean-Vampiress on September 16, 2009, 02:53 PM report to moderator
282600_233804939987291_100000733600249_807455_78180_n_thumb

im there if not in 2010 then 100% for sure for leakycon 2011.. there is no way i will miss both no way!!

Posted by Horcruxalej on September 16, 2009, 02:58 PM report to moderator

:O

WOAH!
I can’t believe how BIG it is! I was imagining a section of the park…
It’s INCREDIBLE!
I simply cannot wait!!

Posted by Eva.Stormz on September 16, 2009, 04:01 PM report to moderator

:O

WOAH!
I can’t believe how BIG it is! I was imagining a section of the park…
It’s INCREDIBLE!
I simply cannot wait!!

Posted by Eva.Stormz on September 16, 2009, 04:01 PM report to moderator
Mr_bean__thumb

i wanna go there

Posted by hermionenluna TZS ROAR! on September 16, 2009, 04:21 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

AHHHHHH EVERYTHING IS SO AWESOME!!!! XD

Posted by chocolaterabbits on September 16, 2009, 04:58 PM report to moderator
Slytherin_girl_thumb

It looks incredible! I wish I could go to The HP Theme Park!

Posted by LadySidi on September 16, 2009, 05:00 PM report to moderator
Dobbyavvie_thumb

I think I’m dying. I want to LIVE there. I need to get there. I don’t care if I have to walk from New York to Florida. I don’t care if I have to miss school or have no time to homework over a vacation, or blow all my money on it. I need to go. I think I’d cry of happiness. I wish they had this in NY, I’d be there every day. Aaaah, why must Florida be so lucky?? I want to be there the day it opens, no matter how big the crowd and how long the wait. It would be worth it, especially to finally meet fans as obsessed as I am!

Posted by Scarlet~Phoenix on September 16, 2009, 05:38 PM report to moderator
Lovegood2_thumb

man, my moms probobly ganna make me choose between hp theme park or leakcon, that is after i tell her harry potter is my life. But anyways, which one? leakycon or hp theme park?

Posted by Loveforluna on September 16, 2009, 05:50 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

This will be a great place to visit! I would love to lose myself in Zonkos or the Three Broomsticks!

Posted by Fresca ROAR on September 16, 2009, 06:28 PM report to moderator
Shell_cottage_thumb

thats so awsome

Posted by hellomotoCOOP on September 16, 2009, 06:35 PM report to moderator
Have_you_seen_this_man_2_thumb

I can’t wait! I’ll cry when I get there!!!

Posted by clashcityrocker13 on September 16, 2009, 08:00 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

i cant breathe. this is so cooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant wait.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on September 16, 2009, 08:58 PM report to moderator
Untitled_thumb

I can’t wait! It’s going to be “wicked!”

Posted by Elizabeth on September 17, 2009, 06:39 AM report to moderator
Iconavmeg_thumb

SQUEE! I am so ecited about this.. now I just have to get the money to get myself there.. argh.. well whatever, I AM going! :D I have to.

Posted by Cheimonas on September 17, 2009, 06:55 AM report to moderator

"Harry, we saw Uranus up close!" said Ron, still giggling feebly. "Get it, Harry? We saw Uranus -- ha ha ha --"[br]A bubble of blood grew at the corner of Ron's mouth and burst.

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014