Harry Potter Park Confirmed Opening Spring 2010, Rides, Features Unveiled

Fans
Posted by: Melissa
September 15, 2009, 11:11 AM

At today's Wizarding World of Harry Potter event in Orlando, Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy), who was on hand to help with the announcements, confirmed the attraction will be opening in Spring 2010 - and more, as this post gets updated.

UPDATE: Videos are now available for download here in our galleries:
Entire Special Webcast with Tom Felton on Gryffindor Common Set
Flythrough
Map of Wizarding World

The Marauder's Map guide to the park was created by the same people who created the Marauder's Map for the movies.

In a release, J.K. Rowling said, "The plans I've seen look incredibly exciting, and I don't think fans of the books or films will be disappointed."

Hi Res Photos now available!
Map of Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Zonkos Joke Shop
Honeydukes
Owlery
Ollivanders
Flying Harry
Flight of the Hippogriff Ride
Hog's Head
Filch's Confiscated Emporium
Dervish and Banges
Dragon's Challenge
Hogwarts Exterior

Birds Eye View Poster of Park
Hogwarts

The announcement took place on a Gryffindor Common Room set; Tom Felton said, "I'm not usually welcome in the Gryffindor Common Room," as he sat down.

Park will be more than 22 acres and between current Jurassic Park Lost Continent area and "Dueling Dragons" roller coaster.

The park will begin at an entryway to Hogsmeade, inside of which will be the Hogwarts Express.

Ollivander's Wand Shop will be recreated, featuring "thousands" of dusty boxes lining the shelves and an interactive experience where guests have a wand choose them. This, said Paul Dario, a producer on the park, said came from Jo talking about being on set the moment Harry had his wand chosen. "It was a very special moment," she told them.

Also: Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods will be inside the Hogwarts Castle, contain Ministry of Magic and magical creatures and merchandise, including Omnioculars and remote control Golden Snitches.

A new ride, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, will travel through the insides of Hogwarts, sweeping up through the castle and has been written specifically for the park (though it has not been revealed by whom). We will see "many parts" of the castle.

The entry gates that were in the sixth film will be recreated outside the castle structure in the park.

On the sides of the Hogsmeade street will be Honeydukes Sweet Shop, Dervish and Banges, Zonkos Joke Shop. Sweets sold in Honeydukes; Dervish and Banges will have items like Remembralls, SpectreSpecs, etc.

The Three Broomsticks and Hogs Head will feature "authentic" fare as well as butterbeer and pumpkin juice, in a medieval setting.

The Owlery will feature owls resting on rafters, and will provide a calm environment to take a break from the rest of the action. Also "owls" will be sent out using an official postmark only available at the park.

All the shops will offer merchandise that can only be bought at the park.

The current Dueling Dragons ride will now be the Dragon Challenge, where you can choose between a Chinese Fireball and Hungarian Horntail.

Another ride, the Flying Hippogriff (probably a reinvention of the flying unicorn that was at the park) will be framed around Care of Magical Creatures Class. Hagrid will instruct on the proper ride of a hippogriff.

Art director Alan Gilmore said the park will be a "completely immersive environment, "completely faithful" to books and films."

According to the NYTimes the park is estimated to cost about $265 million to produce.

Tom Felton: "It's going to blow some serious minds."

Stay tuned to Leaky and our Park Info Page for more.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

Dscn0756-1_thumb

Squeee! I’ve always wondered how pumpkin juice would taste. :-D

Posted by Shane [WBM] on September 15, 2009, 11:13 AM report to moderator
06_thumb

SQUEE!!!!!!!!! Now I have to save up money since I have a feeling I’m going to be spending it on lots of things. XD

Posted by silverwings [FTC!] on September 15, 2009, 11:17 AM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

sounds awesome.

I hope they get butter beer right!

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on September 15, 2009, 11:20 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

Okay so this sounds siriusly awesome … I actually squeed out loud when I read it. I also would love to try the pumpkin juice, I’ve had pumpkin juice as a part of a juice drink but, never on its own. So is the Hogwarts Express a ride or a train? The shops seems cool, too … lol

Posted by Moose_Starr on September 15, 2009, 11:24 AM report to moderator
Hp6_icon3_48x48_thumb

AWESOME SAUCE!

I knew there was a reason I stayed in Florida all these years…. destiny awaits.

Posted by Teambaylagoon on September 15, 2009, 11:24 AM report to moderator
Hrpetersam_thumb

This is so ridiculous. How long is it going to last?! This is probably wasting more money than the Millenium Dome. At least it’s in America.

Posted by Miss Dracothan on September 15, 2009, 11:26 AM report to moderator
Dejectedmalfoy_thumb

Saving up my tips for the next months for my annual pass to Universal now. I knew there was a reason why I stayed in Orlando. Disney was starting to bore me and now I shall have a new place to play. EPIC WIN!

Posted by dh.vixen on September 15, 2009, 11:27 AM report to moderator
123107760_thumb

SQUEEEEEEE!!!!! Sounds so awesome!!!! I can’t wait!! I gotta save up money!

Posted by hpfan88{ROAR} on September 15, 2009, 11:28 AM report to moderator
100_1521_thumb

So exciting! I can’t wait to check it out : )

Posted by Sabrina Grondhuis on September 15, 2009, 11:29 AM report to moderator
4ztcymp_thumb

Oh yay!!!

but I wish we had a more specific opening date…. plane tickets will only get more pricey the longer they wait….. oh well.

because yes, I plan to be there THE FIRST DAY. :-)

Posted by Maggie on September 15, 2009, 11:29 AM report to moderator
Photo_540_thumb

this is going to be unbelievable…i cannot wait!!

Posted by FijiSunrise. on September 15, 2009, 11:32 AM report to moderator
181535_1649442835222_1211510867_31618841_6686001_n_thumb

FREAKING AWESOME! I AM SO GOING AFTER GRADUATION!

Posted by  HeartbreakDX  on September 15, 2009, 11:35 AM report to moderator
Gryffindor_lion_thumb

Omigosh, omigosh, omigosh!!!
I am soooo excited!! This absolutely blows my mind… it’s going to be totally awesome!
I think I’m most excited for “Harry Potter and the Forbbiden Journey” – silly name, but interesting premise. Wonder who wrote it?

Posted by dumblebumble on September 15, 2009, 11:35 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I will be there!

Posted by Won_Two on September 15, 2009, 11:36 AM report to moderator
Trio_poster_thumb

OMG!!!! I HAVE TO GO THERE..I JUST HAVE TO…

Posted by Petra on September 15, 2009, 11:41 AM report to moderator

Harry tried to argue back but his words were drowned by a long, loud belch from the Dursleys' son, Dudley.[br]"I want more bacon."