Attorney for JK Rowling Says Scottish Book is Something to be Completed "Sometime in the Future"

J.K. Rowling
September 13, 2009, 09:11 AM

Last week we heard from author Ian Rankin who gave an update of sorts regarding the long awaited Scottish book or Harry Potter encyclopedia from J.K. Rowling. As noted before, Mr. Rankin said the last time he saw his neighbor and friend, Jo was "was working on her Harry Potter encyclopedia" and "drawing family trees for all the characters, going back generations." Today, the Sunday Mail has more from the attorney for J.K. Rowling who cautions the book is not due for release in the near future. Neil Blair is quoted as saying: "The encyclopaedia simply remains something Ms Rowling would like to complete sometime in the future."

However the tabloid goes on to interview an unnamed "insider" who reportedly said: "Everyone hopes it comes to fruition. "Even though the original Harry fans are now adults the obsession remains and this would be a huge seller."Obviously she is under no pressure and can pick and choose her projects but Harry is more than just another character for her."

The piece then says that in terms of a release for the Scottish book "The timing of the books will be important as the final two Harry Potter films are due out in 2010 and 2011."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Dh__flight_of_hedwig_by_clouded_ambition_thumb

Keeping the hope alive!

Posted by dcsbelle [WBM] OOM3, CW on September 13, 2009, 05:22 PM report to moderator
Hbp_movie_thumb

I hope that it will be out after all the hooplah with the theme park and the movies, just because the selfish part of me just wants to still keep the very Harry tradition of release parties and craziness alive and well, and we will need something to look forward too after the movies to ease us out of our post-post-potter depression :)

Posted by Blatcher(ROAR) on September 13, 2009, 05:43 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

I imagine that Jo is using the Scottish Book as a change from the non-Potter books she is probably working on (and perhaps has even finished) when she is waiting for inspiration or waiting for other things in the production of the book to happen (the later Potter books had a shorter than usual editing process but I imagine she would want to take her time over a new book with a different subject matter, and possibly a different target audience as well).

Posted by roonwit on September 13, 2009, 05:46 PM report to moderator
Tonks_thumb

…and Potter fans throughout the land sobbed, as they realised their speculation about Jo changing her website to announce the release of the Scottish Book was wrong.

This is good to hear but if it is released soon it won’t contain as much information.

Posted by Smonocco on September 13, 2009, 06:06 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

Well it will be perfect when she’s done.

Posted by Girlraven1 on September 13, 2009, 06:22 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

i am willing to wait since it takes awhile to collect all of the information the readers want.

Posted by The Nerd on September 13, 2009, 06:23 PM report to moderator
108_thumb

I am willing to wait but am excited she has been working on it.

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on September 13, 2009, 06:32 PM report to moderator
N1012410067_30004165_424_thumb

Personally, I hope she’s working on something else. Not that I don’t want the Scottish Book. I’m just really interested in what she does next.

Maybe another series……..

stops dreaming That would be too good to be true.

Posted by Olivia on September 13, 2009, 08:16 PM report to moderator
Lexi_dumbledore_harry_wands_thumb

Take as long as you need, Jo. Even if it doesn’t come until 2040, I’ll still be happy to read it, although I’m sure it will come before then.

Posted by Lexi*the*Auror on September 13, 2009, 08:43 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

i hope it doesnt come out to far in the future. i hope its at least early next year before DH part 1 comes out.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on September 13, 2009, 08:43 PM report to moderator
Ahhhhaha_thumb

I wouldn’t mind waiting on this. I figure that Jo will put in tons of details, and if that means waiting, I’m totally fine with it. Also, I miss the feeling of anticipation before a Harry Potter book was released, and knowing that she’s working on this project recreates that for me (sort of)

Posted by Eees on September 13, 2009, 08:47 PM report to moderator
Ahhhhaha_thumb

Posted by Eees on September 13, 2009, 08:47 PM report to moderator
Lexi_dumbledore_harry_wands_thumb

I wonder which charity will get the profits of the Scottish book. Fantastic Beasts and Quidditch through the Ages went to Comic Relief, Beedle the Bard went to Children’s High Level Group, so who will she give the profits of the Scottish book? Maybe she’ll make a poll on her website about it.

Posted by Lexi*the*Auror on September 13, 2009, 08:56 PM report to moderator
Animation_thumb

this sound so cool cant wait for it to come out

Posted by lilmisssnape on September 13, 2009, 08:58 PM report to moderator

[i]"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must