Attorney for JK Rowling Says Scottish Book is Something to be Completed "Sometime in the Future"

J.K. Rowling
September 13, 2009, 09:11 AM

Last week we heard from author Ian Rankin who gave an update of sorts regarding the long awaited Scottish book or Harry Potter encyclopedia from J.K. Rowling. As noted before, Mr. Rankin said the last time he saw his neighbor and friend, Jo was "was working on her Harry Potter encyclopedia" and "drawing family trees for all the characters, going back generations." Today, the Sunday Mail has more from the attorney for J.K. Rowling who cautions the book is not due for release in the near future. Neil Blair is quoted as saying: "The encyclopaedia simply remains something Ms Rowling would like to complete sometime in the future."

However the tabloid goes on to interview an unnamed "insider" who reportedly said: "Everyone hopes it comes to fruition. "Even though the original Harry fans are now adults the obsession remains and this would be a huge seller."Obviously she is under no pressure and can pick and choose her projects but Harry is more than just another character for her."

The piece then says that in terms of a release for the Scottish book "The timing of the books will be important as the final two Harry Potter films are due out in 2010 and 2011."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Faries-1-1_1__thumb

I’ll wait for it. How ever long that is. But then I will celebrate!

Posted by tune81 on September 13, 2009, 02:05 PM report to moderator
1691273755a1691353847b766100513l_thumb

does did mean that she wil publish it in 2011 when the last film is released?? would that be logical? OHHH I can’t wait

Posted by qwientje on September 13, 2009, 02:12 PM report to moderator
Baron_haru___shall_we_dance____by_jasminealexandra_thumb

i hope it comes soon although i am willing to wait

Posted by Ganduean-Vampiress on September 13, 2009, 02:13 PM report to moderator
Baron_haru___shall_we_dance____by_jasminealexandra_thumb

i hope it comes soon although i am willing to wait

Posted by Ganduean-Vampiress on September 13, 2009, 02:14 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

oh well… whenever it come out i am sure it will be amazing!!!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on September 13, 2009, 02:15 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

OMG! OMG!!!! i will wait 15 year for Jo to complete this book if i have too, i really like giving Jo her space so she can do what she does best—WRITE! but a year please….please if they just said 2019 i would be happy!!!!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on September 13, 2009, 02:16 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

when she’s ready, i’ll be ready :D

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on September 13, 2009, 02:25 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

awesum :)
but im sure we’ll wait 20years if Jo said it would definatly be released then :)

Posted by Beazy :) (Formerly: MidnightSun321 ) {!!ROAR!!} on September 13, 2009, 02:35 PM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

Btw, and again repeating some of my words from the Ian Rankin post, I truly hope that once the Scottish Book is finally released, there will be countdowns and midnight release parties and all that jazz. Being new to the book fandom, I’ve missed all the HP book release parties they’ve held over the years. :( :( :( Words can’t describe how sad I am about that, how much I’ve been mentally kicking myself on the head for not reading the books sooner. With the last two books, I did visit the queues they had here in Helsinki, but because I wasn’t into the books back then, only into the movies, I wasn’t queueing myself and didn’t stay in the queue overnight. And it certainly didn’t even cross my mind back then to fly over to London for a midnight release party or for some of those Jo’s reading sessions — another thing I’m regretting more than anything now.

However, if the Scottish Book ever sees the light of day and if they are going to hold midnight release parties and all that for it, I will definitely do my utmost to be there. In Gryffindor costume, doing the whole fan thing. And I don’t care how old I am when it happens. :)

Posted by MischiefManaged on September 13, 2009, 03:14 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

I don’t want her to rush it so I think the perfect time for the book to come out would be after both DH movies are out… maybe sometime around 2013. That way, even though all the movies will be over, another HP craze will begin when the scottish book comes out. It would make Harry live on longer! :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on September 13, 2009, 03:32 PM report to moderator
Mac3_thumb
1925 Points

define the future lol i cant wait for this to come out j.k rowling can take as much time as she needs to get this done.

Posted by Parkinsonpansy on September 13, 2009, 03:49 PM report to moderator
Imgres_1__thumb

i hope its soon

Posted by mjkalldaway (ROAR) on September 13, 2009, 04:19 PM report to moderator

i want this alot, i will wait easily, cuse ino that when it is up to Jo’s standards then it will be released

Posted by madman1277 on September 13, 2009, 05:14 PM report to moderator
Chloekisses1_thumb

It would be very cool to see the Scottish Book published just after DH Part 2, to act as the “final installment” of all things Harry Potter related (canonical, of course). It would feel very much like completing the circle…from Philosopher’s Stone to encyclopedia. Of course, it would be good marketing to release it in conjunction with the last film, too. Lots of ways to go with this one and, obviously, it should be done correctly…I’m sure Jo won’t have it any other way and that’s as it should be. It is her universe after all, we just get to play in it. :-)

Wouldn’t surprise me a bit if all of the profits go to charity…just like Beedle the Bard.

Posted by Sheri on September 13, 2009, 05:14 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

I was going to say it could be out in 2012, but that doesn’t give her tons of time to write it… Even /I’m/ going to be an adult by the time the Scottish Book is released! But at least that way I might have a chance at going to a release date in Edinburgh/wherever she is. Squee!

Posted by The Hufflepuff Giraffe on September 13, 2009, 05:15 PM report to moderator

"Harry Potter escaped me by a lucky chance. And I am now going to prove my power by killing him, here and now, in front of you all, when there is no Dumbledore to help him, and no mother to die for him."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014