Attorney for JK Rowling Says Scottish Book is Something to be Completed "Sometime in the Future"

J.K. Rowling
September 13, 2009, 09:11 AM

Last week we heard from author Ian Rankin who gave an update of sorts regarding the long awaited Scottish book or Harry Potter encyclopedia from J.K. Rowling. As noted before, Mr. Rankin said the last time he saw his neighbor and friend, Jo was "was working on her Harry Potter encyclopedia" and "drawing family trees for all the characters, going back generations." Today, the Sunday Mail has more from the attorney for J.K. Rowling who cautions the book is not due for release in the near future. Neil Blair is quoted as saying: "The encyclopaedia simply remains something Ms Rowling would like to complete sometime in the future."

However the tabloid goes on to interview an unnamed "insider" who reportedly said: "Everyone hopes it comes to fruition. "Even though the original Harry fans are now adults the obsession remains and this would be a huge seller."Obviously she is under no pressure and can pick and choose her projects but Harry is more than just another character for her."

The piece then says that in terms of a release for the Scottish book "The timing of the books will be important as the final two Harry Potter films are due out in 2010 and 2011."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Greathornedowl_thumb

Well at least she’s still working on it anyway. :D

Posted by PhoenixFlight [ITC!] on September 13, 2009, 12:41 PM report to moderator
Becky_thumb

I hope it’s not too far away, though I’ll take it whenever it comes!

Posted by The Silver Doe on September 13, 2009, 12:41 PM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

@Rinny and @Miss Freewind, I totally agree with you. Jo can and should take all the time she needs to complete The Scottish Book, regardless of how soon we fans would like to have it.

I’m going to shamelessly repeat (read: copy-paste and edit) myself from the Ian Rankin thread and say that having those fabled piles and piles of papers and boxes full of notes does not mean that putting together the encyclopedia would be fast, that the Scottish Book would practically compile itself. Quote the contrary, in fact. Like Rinny, I don’t really know anything about putting books together, let alone putting together encyclopedias.. But I would guess that Jo has to go through every single note and piece of paper she’s written about the wizarding world over the years, many of which could be hand-written, and that’s just a start. Putting together something as huge as the Scottish Book would be quite a complicated matter, involving a lot of decision-making, editing and (re-)writing. She has to decide, for example, how to group and categorise things, how to present the entries, what kind of text style or register to use (somehow I can’t see her writing the entries with a rather dull and boring encyclopedia-style text but rather the same humorous, witty style she’s used in the books), etc. And, she also has to decide, for sure, whether she’s ever going to write something new to bridge the gap between the end of DH and the Epilogue. If not, she can include the information in the Scottish Book. And so on and so forth.

Oh and @Peverell62442, that’s a fantastic idea! :) Releasing the Encyclopedia in 2017, either on 2nd May, on the anniversary of the final battle, or on 1st September, on Albus’s first day at Hogwarts, which would be 19 years later. Or, perhaps it could be released on the most obvious day of all, 31st July. :)

Posted by MischiefManaged on September 13, 2009, 12:42 PM report to moderator
Bokorm_-p_thumb

I don’t care too much for when as long as it’s definitely coming. I don’t want to wait too long, of course, but I definitely don’t want her to rush into anything either which it doesn’t look like she’s doing, which is good news. This is not the kind of book you have a deadline for. It’s not as if it’s a sequel to anything and we’re hanging off a ciff here, right? Which doesn’t mean I don’t want it – I sure as hell do – it just means that we don’t need it right away.

Posted by Lisbry on September 13, 2009, 12:43 PM report to moderator
H-r_thumb

Does anyone even know what this scottish book is about?

Posted by fantasylover12001 on September 13, 2009, 12:57 PM report to moderator

I hope she takes as much time as she needs to make a great book.

Posted by Necrotoxin on September 13, 2009, 12:59 PM report to moderator
2002_harry_potter_and_the_chamber_of_secrets_046_thumb

Darn!! I want this book and sooner than later!

Posted by AutumnWizard *ROAR* on September 13, 2009, 01:10 PM report to moderator

yay!!!!!!!! another night of cos-play at the local borders!!!!!!

Posted by samisapotterfan on September 13, 2009, 01:11 PM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

Oh I really hope it’s sometime in the near future. I can’t wait for this!

Posted by siriusismyhero on September 13, 2009, 01:14 PM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

I hope they release the date soon, but on the other hand, Jo, no pressure!

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on September 13, 2009, 01:19 PM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

@fantasylover12001, The Scottish Book is a joking name for the Harry Potter Encyclopaedia Jo has talked about in the past. I believe Jo coined the term herself as an analogy to Macbeth, which is commonly known as The Scottish Play among stage actors, because speaking the name of the play on stage supposedly brings back luck.

Posted by MischiefManaged on September 13, 2009, 01:21 PM report to moderator
Water_lilies_thumb

I wonder how far back the genealogy will go.

Posted by sgreeter8888 on September 13, 2009, 01:25 PM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

@sgreeter8888, all the way back to the Peverells, I hope.. ;)

Posted by MischiefManaged on September 13, 2009, 01:26 PM report to moderator
Water_lilies_thumb

Thank you for clearing that up by the way MischeifManaged. I had been wondering why the book was being called that if it had anything to do with Macbeth.

Posted by sgreeter8888 on September 13, 2009, 01:27 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

It’s more important that it is done well, than done soon!

Posted by Won_Two on September 13, 2009, 01:50 PM report to moderator

"...I'm not a very popular dinner guest with most of the community," said Lupin. "It's an occupational hazard of being a wereworlf."

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014