Jamie Campbell Bower on Young Grindelwald in Deathly Hallows Part One: "He's very bird-like."

DH Film
September 10, 2009, 12:58 PM

Actor Jamie Campbell Bower has given a new interview where he discusses his character of the young Gellert Grindelwald in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. In this article with MTV, Jamie says that the character appears in part one, and is indeed a "flashback character." He speaks of the young wizard who would later go on to play a pivotal role in the quest for the Elder Wand and describes the character:

"I play Gellert Grindelwald, who is an old friend of Dumbledore's," explained the 21-year-old actor. "It's a flashback character, which is good fun. I did a little bit before I went off and did 'New Moon.'" "No, I'm just doing number one," he answered when we asked if Grindelwald was scheduled to be in both halves of the split-for-the-cinema-sequels made from J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" novel. "Thus far, I mean. I haven't seen the script for the second one; I don't think anyone has seen the script for the second one."

As for the look of Gellert, the actor revealed: "We're pretty much keeping it straight; the costume is fantastic — we had this idea that he's very bird-like. He's described in the book as almost looking like a crow or something like that, and we [latched] onto that; I have a nice jacket which makes me look cool."

In fact, Jamie told us, if you look closely at Grindelwald's appearance when the first half of "Deathly Hallows" hits theaters in November 2010, you'll see hints of his bird motif. "It doesn't have wings or anything; it's just the way that it's cut. It's very subtle," he explained. "But, as is true with a lot of things in film, if you know what the intention is and the background of it, then you can recognize it — but if you're not really watching or paying any attention, then you'll miss it."

As TLC first reported last May, the part of young Dumbledore has indeed been cast with the part going to young actor Toby Regbo. One final casting note courtesy of SS: The part of Hermione's father has now been cast, with Ian Kelly to take on the part. Back in March we learned that actress Michelle Fairley had been cast as Mrs. Granger.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Wig4_thumb

That’s a cool interview

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on September 13, 2009, 07:18 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

yeah, i always thought about the bird thing!! i like the enthusiasm of him :) i cant wait 2 see him in new moon, either :)

Posted by Beazy :) (Formerly: MidnightSun321 ) {!!ROAR!!} on September 13, 2009, 02:30 PM report to moderator
Tiny_tonks_thumb

SQQQQQQQQQQUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I love young Grindelwald, he IS very birdlike, JCB is awesome, and even this picture looks perfect! GRINDELDORE FOREVER!

Posted by Ama.Dear on September 13, 2009, 03:14 PM report to moderator
Darkside_thumb

He looks really good!
I cant wait to see the actor the pic for Dumbledore
: D

Posted by Esmeralda.ROARღ on September 13, 2009, 05:16 PM report to moderator
090816_mikagryffindor_thumb

I can’t get over Anthony and Caius and Grindelwald all being portrayed by the same guy XD

Posted by Mika Maxwell on September 14, 2009, 01:10 AM report to moderator

I am sure his part is cool and he will do a good job.

Posted by HGROSS44 on September 15, 2009, 01:52 AM report to moderator

Its going to be interesting to see him in New Moon and then in DH. I wonder who he plays in New Moon!

Posted by Werewolves Rule on September 15, 2009, 07:33 PM report to moderator
Animation_thumb

he was good in sweeney todd cant wait to see him in this and new moon

Posted by lilmisssnape on September 16, 2009, 05:47 PM report to moderator
Without_you__snape_face_shot__copy_thumb

Oh my goodness! He played in Sweeney Todd! And since he was one of the few non-evil people in that movie (Seeing as how Sweeney himself wasn’t exactly good), I think it will be kind of funny seeing him playing the young version of one of the most dark wizards! (Besides Voldemort of course) lol

Posted by Questyourdreams on September 17, 2009, 03:21 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows__part_i_58_thumb

Coooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he’ll be awesome as gellert grindelwald!!!

Posted by Astha on September 22, 2009, 09:07 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows__part_i_58_thumb

Coooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he’ll be awesome as gellert grindelwald!!!

Posted by Astha on September 22, 2009, 09:07 AM report to moderator

"You're less like your father than I thought," he said finally, a definite coolness in his voice. "The risk would've been what made it fun for James."