Jamie Campbell Bower on Young Grindelwald in Deathly Hallows Part One: "He's very bird-like."

DH Film
September 10, 2009, 12:58 PM

Actor Jamie Campbell Bower has given a new interview where he discusses his character of the young Gellert Grindelwald in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. In this article with MTV, Jamie says that the character appears in part one, and is indeed a "flashback character." He speaks of the young wizard who would later go on to play a pivotal role in the quest for the Elder Wand and describes the character:

"I play Gellert Grindelwald, who is an old friend of Dumbledore's," explained the 21-year-old actor. "It's a flashback character, which is good fun. I did a little bit before I went off and did 'New Moon.'" "No, I'm just doing number one," he answered when we asked if Grindelwald was scheduled to be in both halves of the split-for-the-cinema-sequels made from J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" novel. "Thus far, I mean. I haven't seen the script for the second one; I don't think anyone has seen the script for the second one."

As for the look of Gellert, the actor revealed: "We're pretty much keeping it straight; the costume is fantastic — we had this idea that he's very bird-like. He's described in the book as almost looking like a crow or something like that, and we [latched] onto that; I have a nice jacket which makes me look cool."

In fact, Jamie told us, if you look closely at Grindelwald's appearance when the first half of "Deathly Hallows" hits theaters in November 2010, you'll see hints of his bird motif. "It doesn't have wings or anything; it's just the way that it's cut. It's very subtle," he explained. "But, as is true with a lot of things in film, if you know what the intention is and the background of it, then you can recognize it — but if you're not really watching or paying any attention, then you'll miss it."

As TLC first reported last May, the part of young Dumbledore has indeed been cast with the part going to young actor Toby Regbo. One final casting note courtesy of SS: The part of Hermione's father has now been cast, with Ian Kelly to take on the part. Back in March we learned that actress Michelle Fairley had been cast as Mrs. Granger.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Jamie is gorgeous! And so enthusiastic about his role! Maybe they’ll have some flashbacks showing how Voldemort acquired the horcruxes. I hope so.

Posted by SybilT on September 10, 2009, 09:52 PM report to moderator
Snapeward_thumb

Sweet, that’s somehow how I pictured him!

Posted by Hufflepuffler on September 10, 2009, 11:04 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

hmm. interesting.

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on September 10, 2009, 11:26 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

i’m excited for this. JCB is so cute, i guess they have to get a really cute actor to play the young Grindelwald so it will be understandable how the young Albus Dumbledore felt for him. I guess, too, that he will be in the 2nd part as the old (and dead) Albus Dumbledore recalls that scene when Arriana died.
Can’t wait to see the next HP movies.

Posted by alegria35 on September 11, 2009, 12:42 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

I googled Toby Regbo and found some pics of him, he’s cute too, softer features than JCB.. he has black hair, and darker skin than JCB

Posted by alegria35 on September 11, 2009, 12:44 AM report to moderator
Normal_hp_actors_thumb

Great news.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on September 11, 2009, 12:59 AM report to moderator
Phelpstwins_thumb

He looks exactly as I pictured Grindelwald— the casting people never cease to amaze me!

Posted by deadtree ♥WBM♥ on September 11, 2009, 02:12 AM report to moderator
1_thumb

I would let him kill my sister.

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on September 11, 2009, 02:21 AM report to moderator
Hrpetersam_thumb

Ah, Ian Kelly, he’s fab!

Posted by Miss Dracothan on September 11, 2009, 05:19 AM report to moderator
Diagon_thumb

at least we know we’re getting some flashbacks! yay!

i think this is a really good piece of casting, not necessarliy exactly how i pictured Grindewald, but pretty good :D

Posted by Sigourney♥ on September 11, 2009, 05:32 AM report to moderator
I think/hope he’ll play a good Gellert Grindelwald.
Posted by Leeann on September 11, 2009, 07:26 AM report to moderator
My_avatar_thumb

Oo first time I’ve seen his photo and heard this. He looks perfect for the role, exactly how the character looks in my head!

Posted by SnapesSilverDoe on September 11, 2009, 07:48 AM report to moderator
108_thumb

What a really wonderful interview. Squee!

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on September 11, 2009, 08:28 AM report to moderator

cool

Posted by madman1277 on September 11, 2009, 08:35 AM report to moderator
____73_thumb

hahahahahahaha

Posted by wing on September 11, 2009, 08:49 AM report to moderator

"The Mirror will be moved to a new home tomorrow, Harry, and I ask you not to go looking for it again. If you ever [i]do[/i] run across it, you will now be prepared. It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that."