Jamie Campbell Bower on Young Grindelwald in Deathly Hallows Part One: "He's very bird-like."

DH Film
September 10, 2009, 12:58 PM

Actor Jamie Campbell Bower has given a new interview where he discusses his character of the young Gellert Grindelwald in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. In this article with MTV, Jamie says that the character appears in part one, and is indeed a "flashback character." He speaks of the young wizard who would later go on to play a pivotal role in the quest for the Elder Wand and describes the character:

"I play Gellert Grindelwald, who is an old friend of Dumbledore's," explained the 21-year-old actor. "It's a flashback character, which is good fun. I did a little bit before I went off and did 'New Moon.'" "No, I'm just doing number one," he answered when we asked if Grindelwald was scheduled to be in both halves of the split-for-the-cinema-sequels made from J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" novel. "Thus far, I mean. I haven't seen the script for the second one; I don't think anyone has seen the script for the second one."

As for the look of Gellert, the actor revealed: "We're pretty much keeping it straight; the costume is fantastic — we had this idea that he's very bird-like. He's described in the book as almost looking like a crow or something like that, and we [latched] onto that; I have a nice jacket which makes me look cool."

In fact, Jamie told us, if you look closely at Grindelwald's appearance when the first half of "Deathly Hallows" hits theaters in November 2010, you'll see hints of his bird motif. "It doesn't have wings or anything; it's just the way that it's cut. It's very subtle," he explained. "But, as is true with a lot of things in film, if you know what the intention is and the background of it, then you can recognize it — but if you're not really watching or paying any attention, then you'll miss it."

As TLC first reported last May, the part of young Dumbledore has indeed been cast with the part going to young actor Toby Regbo. One final casting note courtesy of SS: The part of Hermione's father has now been cast, with Ian Kelly to take on the part. Back in March we learned that actress Michelle Fairley had been cast as Mrs. Granger.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Epjpegutil31_thumb

Oh, this is great news! They are going to keep Hermione’s parents in, and do the books proud, with any luck!

Posted by Fresca ROAR on September 10, 2009, 04:21 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

i can’t wait to see the bird-like grindlewald! but there’s a whole year till then :S

Posted by chocolaterabbits on September 10, 2009, 04:36 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Hmm a bird? Well that sounds ok.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on September 10, 2009, 04:38 PM report to moderator
19961_295278227280_850597280_3220270_6993096_n_thumb

im glad hes blonde, i always imagined him kinda like draco but with sharper futures!

and hes fit lol

Posted by AbbieAstoria on September 10, 2009, 04:52 PM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

Do correct me if I’m wrong, please, but I can’t recall reading all that much more about Grindelwald’s appearance than that he was supposed to have golden curly (?) hair and that he was “a handsome youth” (or something similar). However, when Harry saw Gregorovitch’s memory through Voldemort’s mind, Grindelwald was described as sitting perched on a window sill like a bird, before he Stunned Gregorovitch and the memory faded. I wonder if that description is where they got the bird-like look of Grindelwald from? Or am I seriously forgetting something here?

Posted by MischiefManaged on September 10, 2009, 04:59 PM report to moderator
Msn_thumb

Awesome! And that poster looks really kool eagleblue!

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on September 10, 2009, 05:15 PM report to moderator
Bokorm_-p_thumb

Well, I guess for the diadem Ginny might help Harry again, or they might even twist it around so that Harry doesn’t only see Hogwarts through the mind-connection he and Voldemort share, but perhaps where the diadem is too.

Posted by Lisbry on September 10, 2009, 05:20 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

he knows his stuff!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on September 10, 2009, 05:21 PM report to moderator
Iconator_04e9497c4d2be426fe2888b16a16f53d_thumb

that’s so awesome!!!

Posted by RaWr...WeReWoLf on September 10, 2009, 05:22 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

I’m still curious about why they chose him for this part, since I just don’t see it…. but it’ll be interesting to see if he can really pull it off.

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on September 10, 2009, 05:35 PM report to moderator

I agree with Lisbry – Ginny is likely to help Harry find the diadem in the room of requirement. They might want to give her more to do in the final Hogwarts battle in the movie anyway. Or they will find other cinematic ways to clarify that and other Horcrux info in DH. Including the Hufflepuff Cup. Since the fact of the 6 Horcruxes and what they are is more crucial for the telling of DH, they would save it for DH and would not want to overload the HBP movie with too much specific info that won’t get resolved until DH.

Posted by dragonfrog on September 10, 2009, 05:48 PM report to moderator

I loved him in Sweeney Todd. I’m so glad he’s doing Harry Potter! My two favorite things. :D That makes FOUR characters that are in both Sweeney and Harry Potter. Oh, how I love the world.

Posted by kendalllovett on September 10, 2009, 05:49 PM report to moderator
Untitled-4_thumb

Sounds like there’s going to be some stuff that if you don’t watch carefully you’ll miss it. I love that kind of stuff! Looks like this will be one heck of a movie!! I can’t wait.

Posted by mini bagel on September 10, 2009, 05:54 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

Cool. He still looks NOTHING like Grindlewald to me. And I don’t remember him being described as “bird-like” so I don’t know where that came from. I have a feeling his part will be blink and you miss it, but whatever I can’t wait to see Deathly Hallows!!!!

Posted by cghambright on September 10, 2009, 06:05 PM report to moderator
Burtondeppavvie_thumb

I love Jamie! :D To anyone put off by the photo, don’t be. It’s not a great one really.

Posted by Linnyish on September 10, 2009, 06:10 PM report to moderator

"I daresay you heard what happened up at the school at Halloween?"[br]"I did hear a rumor," admitted Madam Rosmerta.[br]"Did you tell the whole pub, Hagrid?" said Professor McGonagall exasperatedly.