Jamie Campbell Bower on Young Grindelwald in Deathly Hallows Part One: "He's very bird-like."

DH Film
September 10, 2009, 12:58 PM

Actor Jamie Campbell Bower has given a new interview where he discusses his character of the young Gellert Grindelwald in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. In this article with MTV, Jamie says that the character appears in part one, and is indeed a "flashback character." He speaks of the young wizard who would later go on to play a pivotal role in the quest for the Elder Wand and describes the character:

"I play Gellert Grindelwald, who is an old friend of Dumbledore's," explained the 21-year-old actor. "It's a flashback character, which is good fun. I did a little bit before I went off and did 'New Moon.'" "No, I'm just doing number one," he answered when we asked if Grindelwald was scheduled to be in both halves of the split-for-the-cinema-sequels made from J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" novel. "Thus far, I mean. I haven't seen the script for the second one; I don't think anyone has seen the script for the second one."

As for the look of Gellert, the actor revealed: "We're pretty much keeping it straight; the costume is fantastic — we had this idea that he's very bird-like. He's described in the book as almost looking like a crow or something like that, and we [latched] onto that; I have a nice jacket which makes me look cool."

In fact, Jamie told us, if you look closely at Grindelwald's appearance when the first half of "Deathly Hallows" hits theaters in November 2010, you'll see hints of his bird motif. "It doesn't have wings or anything; it's just the way that it's cut. It's very subtle," he explained. "But, as is true with a lot of things in film, if you know what the intention is and the background of it, then you can recognize it — but if you're not really watching or paying any attention, then you'll miss it."

As TLC first reported last May, the part of young Dumbledore has indeed been cast with the part going to young actor Toby Regbo. One final casting note courtesy of SS: The part of Hermione's father has now been cast, with Ian Kelly to take on the part. Back in March we learned that actress Michelle Fairley had been cast as Mrs. Granger.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

The-moose_thumb

That’s a cool interview. He seems interested in his character and, knows a lot about him, too. The attention to detail on the costumes is just awesome and, this one seems as though it’s not going to disappoint.

Posted by Moose_Starr on September 10, 2009, 01:07 PM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

So they’re going to film at least some of those flashes into Voldemort’s memory that Harry goes through during the book? Yay! :) Wish they would’ve done the same with the Pensieve memories in HBP, though… I still can’t figure out how the bloody h3ll they’re going to explain the Hufflepuff cup, nor how Harry can suddenly realise where he’s seen the Ravenclaw diadem before, when he didn’t hide the book himself in the HBP film.

Posted by MischiefManaged on September 10, 2009, 01:11 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

OMG! his face made me Not read the article!

Great! I can’t wait to see how he portrays Grindelwald, he seems very excited about the project! YAY for always picking amazing actors for the HP films. LOVE IT.

Posted by emdash84 on September 10, 2009, 01:25 PM report to moderator
Biker_old_lady4done_use_thumb

He does look like a young Grindelwald. I need to see what the young DD looks like. How could I have missed that photo?

Posted by Cool G on September 10, 2009, 01:39 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

He certainly seems high on the part…

Posted by Won_Two on September 10, 2009, 01:51 PM report to moderator
Hbp_movie_thumb

@Mischiefmanaged, me too,me too I like hbp alright its just as I was leaving the film I just kept wondering how is Harry planning on going about his horcrux adventure with no clues on what the others may be. Oh well nothing we can do about it now but appreciate how much thought this actor seems to have delved into Grindelwald and hope for the best :)

Posted by Blatcher(ROAR) on September 10, 2009, 02:03 PM report to moderator
What_the_hell_is_a_hufflepuff__by_emptymug_thumb

I think he’s gonna be great as Grindelwald! They’ve cast so many great actors for the last films… SO EXCITED :D

Posted by Andrea Black on September 10, 2009, 02:06 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

i love Jamie Campbell Bower , he’ll truly be a fantastic Grindelwald!!!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on September 10, 2009, 02:07 PM report to moderator
Shoe_thumb

DID ANYBODY SEE THE SEVENTH FILM’S POSTER ON HERMIONE’S DAD’S WEBSITE??
IT’S GOT THE SILVER DOE!!!!!

Posted by eagleblue on September 10, 2009, 02:09 PM report to moderator
I-quote_hogwarts0144_thumb

Well, yes, Grindlewald sounds promising. But I too am concerned about continuing the horcrux story with nothing to go on from HBP…I suppose we’ll just have to see.

Posted by BewareoftheNargles {WBM} on September 10, 2009, 02:11 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_70_thumb
@MischiefManaged: Yes, also wandering about that part!! How will they put it together? What was the point of changing that? there wasn’t any real need to, was there? Anyway, other that that, Jamie’s interview was good, sounds like he’s really into it. Can’t wait to see him as Gellert Grindelwald…it makes me want to pick up and read the book again!
Posted by HBPFan [ITC!] - CatPhoenix14 on September 10, 2009, 02:17 PM report to moderator
Thistletopiary_thumb

This fellow will make an entrancing Grindelwald! He’s so handsome, I can see how it will be easy to show him as someone who charmed Albus Dumbledore right out of his [considerable] better judgement. Ah, to be young and to feel love’s keen sting…. didn’t a wise man utter those words recently?

Posted by bettb [ITC!] on September 10, 2009, 02:21 PM report to moderator
Chibilupin_thumb

Sounds interesting! Great to know he has already filmed the scenes. Can’t wait to see the interplay between the young Grindewald and Dumbledore. I’ll be sure to look out for the bird references.

Posted by moony_lupin on September 10, 2009, 02:21 PM report to moderator
N549676414_1694786_1373_thumb

I’m sorry, but just the thought of JCB being in a Potter film makes me go SQUEE! a little….

Posted by Sophie(ROAR!!!) on September 10, 2009, 02:33 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Mr. Potter," said Umbridge, "let me remind you that it was I who almost caught the criminal Black in the Gryffindor fire in October. I know perfectly well it was you he was meeting and if I had any proof neither of you would be at large today, I promise