Harry Potter and the Great Sequels

Movies
August 22, 2009, 05:26 PM

Empire Magazine has a new feature online where they list the "50 Greatest Ever Movie Sequels" including two of the Harry Potter films. Coming in at number 15 was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix with the magazine: "David Yates took over the directing reins for this fifth film, based on the longest - and, some would say, dullest - book in the series, and knocked it out of the park. Excising large swathes of not much, he cut it down to one of the leanest films and delivered a barnstorming last act in the Ministry of Magic, with the sort of magical duels we'd been waiting four-and-a-half films to see."

The list also include Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, which is ranked at number 24. Of the the third Harry Potter film, the magazine has the following:

"Alfonso Cuaron took over from original director Christopher Columbus, and with the difficult task of world-building out of the way was able to take the story and run with it, making Potter feel like a real adventure story for the first time, and one taking place in somewhere bordering on the real world.
How does it stack up to the original? It's better than the previous two, and remains many people's favourite entry in the series. Potter's relationship with godfather Sirius Black (Gary Oldman) is beautifully played out, and one of the great "Hell yeah!"s comes when Hermione punches Draco Malfoy. It's also the first of the films to use a rather wonderful washed-out colour scheme, and to revel in its darkness.

Thanks Elliot!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Baby_harry_thumb

Oh, and just to put this out there, HBP is the best adaptation in the series, in my opinion. I’d take the excision of the Hogwarts battle for the excision over the excision of the marauders any day, even if PoA is my #2 favorite.

Posted by savingharry on August 24, 2009, 04:50 PM report to moderator

This goes to show that there is as many people who like different HP Movies as there are warts on a toads nose. To be a true critic one would have to be present when the film was made and then you could tell how difficult it is to make a move. Sometimes things just don’t get thought about till after the movie is all out and then they say well we should have done this or left out that. But a movie is to inspire us and give us intertainment. I allways see things in a move that could have been done better but that is show biz.

Posted by HGROSS44 on August 25, 2009, 01:21 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Yay! For Harry Potter being on the list. And I liked PoA. And yes, I loved OotP. And as for the dullest book? Well, it was my favourite anyway. :|

Those were definitly my favrites akkk… spelling errors !!!

Posted by Astoria.Greengrass on August 25, 2009, 06:53 PM report to moderator

Those were definitly my favrites akkk… spelling errors !!!

Posted by Astoria.Greengrass on August 25, 2009, 06:55 PM report to moderator
203_4156_thumb

I think that Harry Potter and the order of the Fenix was the best movie, for this reason is in that list, although Harry Potter and the half-blood prince was excelent too.

Posted by stivenar on August 26, 2009, 10:36 PM report to moderator
25835_418480946270_510701270_5644104_6971085_n_thumb

They should be on #1

Posted by Santiago !!["ROAR"]!! on August 27, 2009, 12:07 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

You’re dull, stupid newpaper bloke!

Msn_thumb

Great to see ’em there! Though I must agree with many here, OOTP dull??? And yea, Prisoner of Azkaban was amazing, the part where Hermione punches Draco…. Awesome :P I do feel bad in HBP though….

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on August 29, 2009, 06:54 PM report to moderator
Msn_thumb

@savingharry : HBP was a great adaptation, at least I thought so. Everythinng that was neccessary was there, the acting was AMAZING, it was sad, funny, intense, ect… And I loved the added bit with Draco’s doves :)

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on August 29, 2009, 07:00 PM report to moderator

I never met a HP movie or book I didn’t like, but I have to say movie 5 was the weakest adaptation of all, so I’m a bit disappointed in the reviewer. I don’t have much respect for movie reviewers anyway though. They seem to not get sci fi/fantasy and to love darkness and drama for its own sake. To me, the point is the juxtaposition of dark and light, or what IS the darkness and how must the light respond, and for that I loved books 5-7 the most. My favorite movie is PoA, which got me interested in the whole series.

Posted by bornofmuggles on August 30, 2009, 07:18 PM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

order is still my fave so far :] glad it made close to the top of the list :]

Posted by levi-OH-sa, not levio-SA [neville♥myhero] on September 09, 2009, 07:29 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Mum, you've given me Ginny's new dress," said Ron, handing it out to her.[br]"Of course I haven't," said Mrs. Weasley. "That's for you. Dress robes."[br][i]"What?"[/i] said Ron, looking horror-struck.