Harry Potter and the Great Sequels

Movies
August 22, 2009, 05:26 PM

Empire Magazine has a new feature online where they list the "50 Greatest Ever Movie Sequels" including two of the Harry Potter films. Coming in at number 15 was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix with the magazine: "David Yates took over the directing reins for this fifth film, based on the longest - and, some would say, dullest - book in the series, and knocked it out of the park. Excising large swathes of not much, he cut it down to one of the leanest films and delivered a barnstorming last act in the Ministry of Magic, with the sort of magical duels we'd been waiting four-and-a-half films to see."

The list also include Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, which is ranked at number 24. Of the the third Harry Potter film, the magazine has the following:

"Alfonso Cuaron took over from original director Christopher Columbus, and with the difficult task of world-building out of the way was able to take the story and run with it, making Potter feel like a real adventure story for the first time, and one taking place in somewhere bordering on the real world.
How does it stack up to the original? It's better than the previous two, and remains many people's favourite entry in the series. Potter's relationship with godfather Sirius Black (Gary Oldman) is beautifully played out, and one of the great "Hell yeah!"s comes when Hermione punches Draco Malfoy. It's also the first of the films to use a rather wonderful washed-out colour scheme, and to revel in its darkness.

Thanks Elliot!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

OOTP is my second favourite Potter book and it’s not dull at all! It is different from the previous but not dull. I also believe, that the 5th movie as well as POA are the worst films in the series. OOTP was so chopped that it was not making any sense and Prisoner of Azkaban is the reason Hogwarts changed it’s appearance. COS is the best of the films this far for me, at least till i watch HBP.

“Hermione punches Draco Malfoy”

When in the book she just slaps him. Another reason i don’t like this film.

Posted by Mr. Brightside on August 23, 2009, 04:13 PM report to moderator
Hpv16_thumb

Prisoner is my favorite of the movies and Order is my favorite of the books. :) Really though, Order is thisclose to being my favorite of the movies!

I’m just happy Goblet didn’t make this list! :D loathes GoF movie What a travesty that was. shakes head They completely butchered everything in that movie.

Posted by Mrs.Brisby on August 23, 2009, 05:58 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

OotP was NOT the dullest in the series!! the movie was the dullest the books was one of the best, and one of the most important in the entire series!! i didn’t like the movie even a little bit! i’d give it 2/10 stars

Posted by DesQueJteVois on August 23, 2009, 06:44 PM report to moderator

I hated the Order of the Phoenix movie. Nothing felt right to me. They cut a lot out and the relationships weren’t really developed. When I first saw the movie (before I read the books), I didn’t even understand why Harry cared so much that Sirius died… but that’s partly the fault of the 4th film.

Posted by entoptic on August 23, 2009, 09:39 PM report to moderator
008_thumb

what? ootp dull, are you kidding me?

Posted by TaylerWeasley on August 24, 2009, 12:22 AM report to moderator
Films_dh_articles_dhew_11_thumb

I like Prisoner of Azkaban a little more than Order of the Pheonix though! POA should have been #15 and OOTP #24!

Posted by harrypotter1991{ROAR} on August 24, 2009, 12:30 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

Yey!.. HP films rule. I’m not for OOTP though, it lacked some of the things in the books (the important thing being quidditch’s “Weasly is our King”), but, the duel between Voldemort & Dumbledore is awesome. Same for POA.

Posted by alegria35 on August 24, 2009, 02:28 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

Yeah, and OOTP may be longest, but definitely not dullest.

Posted by alegria35 on August 24, 2009, 02:32 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

Come to think of it, there are no dull moments in HP universe. All are good read, page-turners, and unput-downable.

Posted by alegria35 on August 24, 2009, 02:33 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

THE Order of the Phoenix IS NOT A DULL BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im glad two films made it onto the list.

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on August 24, 2009, 08:04 AM report to moderator
Malfoy_avatar_thumb

I always really liked Order of the Phoenix – the book. I loved that it was delving deeper into the wizarding world, and the story was great and exciting. I thought the movie was the worst done of all of them, due to editing, not acting. I actually thought the movie sucked because of the hack editing job.
Prisoner of Azkaban was my favorite movie until Half blood prince came out. It was my favorite book until Deathly Hallows arrived.

Posted by Hydrus on August 24, 2009, 10:33 AM report to moderator

OOTP dull??? That book is the opposite of dull. I can’t even believe someone wrote that. I am glad the movies make the list but that was a really unfortunate comment, made by someone who hasn’t read any of the books would be my guess.

Posted by iamnotworriedharry on August 24, 2009, 01:35 PM report to moderator
Dh__flight_of_hedwig_by_clouded_ambition_thumb

I can’t say I find much to agree with the author of this article. OOP dull??? Perhaps his attention span is rather limited. And PoA was my least favorite film with its slapstick humor bits and the over the tops performances in the
Shrieking Shack.

Posted by dcsbelle [WBM] OOM3, CW on August 24, 2009, 02:20 PM report to moderator
Keep_calm_hrh2_thumb

OOTP book dull??? Let’s see, it opens with Dementor attacks and Harry nearly getting expelled it continues the tension of the story when he is tortured by that cow Umbridge, then Arthur gets attacked, Harry has his first kiss, Harry leads the DA, and ends with the huge Battle in the Ministry and Sirius is killed. Yeah, yawn, boring…. Whatever.

I did not completely like the adaptation of OoTP, but I can live with it. I have to say I think POA was the best movie adaptation (aside from HBP). As far as the books go though, OOTP is number one for me.

Posted by tinagin [ROAR]! on August 24, 2009, 02:42 PM report to moderator
Baby_harry_thumb

I agree with Sueml. One of the dullest books in the series?! “Excising large swathes of not much”?! Umm… what about large swatches of CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT?! or large swatches of HUMOR and HEART?!

Sorry, a lot of “?!” there, but really… I mean, I liked OotP and all, but give me a break. Saying that the best thing about the film is something that is actually the WORST thing about it is really stupid.

Posted by savingharry on August 24, 2009, 04:48 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"If I get caught before I can get to the Stone, well, I'll have to go back to the Dursleys and wait for Voldemort to find me there, it's only dying a bit later than I would have, because I'm never going over to the Dark Side! I'm going through that trapdo