Harry Potter and the Great Sequels

Movies
August 22, 2009, 05:26 PM

Empire Magazine has a new feature online where they list the "50 Greatest Ever Movie Sequels" including two of the Harry Potter films. Coming in at number 15 was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix with the magazine: "David Yates took over the directing reins for this fifth film, based on the longest - and, some would say, dullest - book in the series, and knocked it out of the park. Excising large swathes of not much, he cut it down to one of the leanest films and delivered a barnstorming last act in the Ministry of Magic, with the sort of magical duels we'd been waiting four-and-a-half films to see."

The list also include Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, which is ranked at number 24. Of the the third Harry Potter film, the magazine has the following:

"Alfonso Cuaron took over from original director Christopher Columbus, and with the difficult task of world-building out of the way was able to take the story and run with it, making Potter feel like a real adventure story for the first time, and one taking place in somewhere bordering on the real world.
How does it stack up to the original? It's better than the previous two, and remains many people's favourite entry in the series. Potter's relationship with godfather Sirius Black (Gary Oldman) is beautifully played out, and one of the great "Hell yeah!"s comes when Hermione punches Draco Malfoy. It's also the first of the films to use a rather wonderful washed-out colour scheme, and to revel in its darkness.

Thanks Elliot!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows__part_i_58_thumb

i think the rest of them should also have been listed…

Posted by Astha on August 23, 2009, 10:30 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows__part_i_58_thumb

i loved chamber of secrets and half blood prince…

Posted by Astha on August 23, 2009, 10:33 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

I love these films! Azkban is probley my fav!

Posted by The Nerd on August 23, 2009, 11:09 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

I love these films! Azkban is probley my fav!

Posted by The Nerd on August 23, 2009, 11:12 AM report to moderator
I-quote_slytherclaw018_wicked_visions_thumb

I’m glad these 2 movies were included in that list! Here’s to hoping DH will make that list oo one day :D

Although I want to bitchslap the writer for callign the OotP book dull….

Posted by RemsyLuck on August 23, 2009, 11:18 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

PoA was my fav before HBP : )
I still sort of hate OOTP.

Posted by Matea on August 23, 2009, 11:50 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

PoA was my fav before HBP : )
I still sort of hate OOTP.

Posted by Matea on August 23, 2009, 11:50 AM report to moderator

It’s too bad this didn’t include Half Blood Prince which has now become my fav of the six.

Posted by Phylis {ROAR} on August 23, 2009, 12:45 PM report to moderator
Laughing_dan_thumb
2027 Points

why all this hate on the ootp book?

Posted by sunlitdays (ROAR) on August 23, 2009, 12:59 PM report to moderator
Laughing_dan_thumb
2027 Points

and emma watson;s boobs were photoshopped? thats sick

Posted by sunlitdays (ROAR) on August 23, 2009, 01:07 PM report to moderator
Imagescad1mlxa_thumb

i like PoA (movie ) (i LOVE all the books)
and i hate hate hate! the OotP movie !
but i like all the other movies! ( ditto HBP)

Posted by muggle..andproudofit =:) on August 23, 2009, 01:28 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows_movie_poster_1__thumb

Aww…i thought OotP was a great book! i really like chamber of secrets it was a lot more true to the book than phoenix i think.

Posted by Rosie.Ravenclaw.Weasley on August 23, 2009, 02:30 PM report to moderator
Hermione__ginny_and_luna_thumb

Yay! They totally deserve to be on the list! What happened to the others? They should ba on there as well! I loved all the movies even with the making up and weird things going on that’s not in the book.

Posted by Kita on August 23, 2009, 02:52 PM report to moderator

That is very good list I must say. Good to read. I recommend it. POA and OOTP are brillaint films by my reckoning. They should be there.

Posted by Robbie Rowe on August 23, 2009, 03:04 PM report to moderator
1044925089_hufflepuff_thumb

the 3rd and 5th movies are my favorite!

Posted by lucylovesrupert on August 23, 2009, 03:32 PM report to moderator

"You went to the Yule Ball with Padma Patil," said a vague voice...[br]"Yeah, I know I did," [Ron] said...[br]"She didn't enjoy it very much," Luna informed him. "She doesn't think you treated her very well, because you wouldn't dance with her. I don't th