Harry Potter and the Great Sequels

Movies
August 22, 2009, 05:26 PM

Empire Magazine has a new feature online where they list the "50 Greatest Ever Movie Sequels" including two of the Harry Potter films. Coming in at number 15 was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix with the magazine: "David Yates took over the directing reins for this fifth film, based on the longest - and, some would say, dullest - book in the series, and knocked it out of the park. Excising large swathes of not much, he cut it down to one of the leanest films and delivered a barnstorming last act in the Ministry of Magic, with the sort of magical duels we'd been waiting four-and-a-half films to see."

The list also include Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, which is ranked at number 24. Of the the third Harry Potter film, the magazine has the following:

"Alfonso Cuaron took over from original director Christopher Columbus, and with the difficult task of world-building out of the way was able to take the story and run with it, making Potter feel like a real adventure story for the first time, and one taking place in somewhere bordering on the real world.
How does it stack up to the original? It's better than the previous two, and remains many people's favourite entry in the series. Potter's relationship with godfather Sirius Black (Gary Oldman) is beautifully played out, and one of the great "Hell yeah!"s comes when Hermione punches Draco Malfoy. It's also the first of the films to use a rather wonderful washed-out colour scheme, and to revel in its darkness.

Thanks Elliot!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Phelpstwins_thumb

wow, I can’t disagree more with a lot of what they said there— the OotP film was based on my favourite HP book so I’m sure I’m biased, but I felt like it was a lot of really well-made scenes smashed together into a movie that made almost no sense. Definitely not gestalt. And while the book is long, in what way was it dull? It was just even more of the usual goodness!
That said, PoA is my favourite film so far and I wish it’d ranked higher!

Posted by deadtree ♥WBM♥ on August 23, 2009, 12:56 AM report to moderator
Cropped_thumb

PA is one of my favorite movies but OP is my least favorite one!

Posted by ~ Asi ~ on August 23, 2009, 02:59 AM report to moderator
Bullet_thumb

my two favorites- how cool

Posted by TerieB on August 23, 2009, 04:00 AM report to moderator
Ball_pic_thumb

The prisoner of Azkaban is my favourite film so far, and its great that its on the list.

The order of the phoenix is my second so its great that thats up there too.

Posted by Hopelaa93 on August 23, 2009, 05:57 AM report to moderator
12440441_thumb
19573 Points

Very cool!!

Posted by R-for-H {ROAR} :D on August 23, 2009, 06:27 AM report to moderator

Loved POA; it’s the first time we actually see something developing between Ron & Hermione. Both scenes of Malfoy getting beaten up—by Buckbeak and then Hermione—are hilarious.

Posted by aj_ellybean on August 23, 2009, 07:06 AM report to moderator
B4_1__thumb

Order of the phoenix is not the dullest book!! it’s one of my favourites!!! It is a great film, but its not a dull book. I can’t believe someone said that! :O

Posted by justanargle on August 23, 2009, 07:24 AM report to moderator
Sblack_thumb

I like em both! So Congrats!

Posted by Mellzey72 on August 23, 2009, 07:37 AM report to moderator
Infphoto_973525_thumb

When I saw the title of this post I thought, hmm this is a subject that probably get lots of comments, and so it is.

Personally, I started watching harry potter from the very beginning. Let’s say when I was ten or eleven years old. I was always thrilled when the new movie came out. First two movies where brilliant to me and gave me the “HP virus”. Because of these first two movies I started reading the books. Have to admit that I prefer the books, but I love to see how they translate the books on the “big screen”.

When PoA came out, I went to the cinema (my first HP movie on big screen) and I was thrilled. Then the GoF, which I found also a very good film. But untill then PoA still was my favourite because it was different than the first two movies in a good way.

But then, when the OOTP came out, my expectations might have been to big. And the movie dissapointed me a bit. After seeing the movie for the first time I went several times again and I started to appreciate it a lot more.

Then, two years later after a delay, one of my favourite books of the series came out. HP and the half blood prince. I didn’t wanted to be dissapointed again so I went to the movie with as less as possible expectations. I have to say that this movie was absolutely amazing! There are many fans who can’t agree with me because they say that they leave to many things out of the books and they add scenes that aren’t even in the books. Well, I think that it was one of the best movies. The balance between the tension and nerve wrecking moments and the moments filled with humour was very good. I didn’t care about the added scene of the burrow. I liked it a lot because as fans we get to see new stuff.

The last thing I want to say is mayby the thing that is most important to say for my part. David Yates wasn’t superb in OOTP to me but in HBP he really convinced me that he will take the HP series to a higher level. He learned from mistakes and i’m looking forward to DH! Nicholas hooper is also a much spoken man on this site. Again, there are many people who say that only John Williams can do a great job for the movies. I loved John Williams his work too but since the OOTP I started noticing the music in the movies. Nicholas hooper has written songs that are really pieces of art. For the first time I bought the soundtrack of the movies, because of him. So thanks to Nicholas Hooper!

Last en certainly not least is Dumbledore in the series. As I mentioned before I was a HP fan from the beginning and I wasn’t happy with an other actor for dumbledore. It couldn’t be different because everyone knows the first one (forgot his name) died. So Michael Gambon took over. In PoA I was missing the old one. But in the movies to come I started liking him, he was very different than the first one. But now in half blood prince he prove that he is a worthy Dumbledore. He played his role so well and I have to say I’ll miss him.

Hope everyone will get more open minded and don’t stick to the past but broaden your minds. Change isn’t always a bad thing. And for once and for al, books and movies are just like apples and bananas, don’t compare them too much!

greetings! ;)

Posted by nightreader on August 23, 2009, 08:05 AM report to moderator
Infphoto_973525_thumb

that is one big comment I wrote :p

Posted by nightreader on August 23, 2009, 08:08 AM report to moderator
Rh7_thumb

that’s great! i love both of those movies!!

Posted by bec majec *roar* on August 23, 2009, 08:09 AM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

THAT is the biggest comment I have eveeer seen.

Well done to OotP and PoA!!!

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on August 23, 2009, 08:30 AM report to moderator
Hermione-granger_thumb

I personally think that the fifth HP movie was by far not the best out of the, now, 6 movies released. I feel that the scenes were much to short and that a lot was cut out. I do realise that, if I am correct, it is one of or the longest book in the series and is therefore harder to put into a 2 hour movie, but they could have made the movie a little more accurate.
Don’t get me wrong, I really liked the 5th movies, I just don’t think it was the best. I much rather prefered the third movie.
Personally I think that the first tow where the best because the used exact lines from the book and they didn’t rely on CGI to make the movie amazing.
But never the less, I enjoy all of the, now, 6 movies. Everybody did a great job!!!!

Posted by Granger10 on August 23, 2009, 09:11 AM report to moderator
I-quote_hogwarts0144_thumb

CoS was a great sequel and was obviously more flowing with the first … but I agree, PoA also kept the spirit of HP. I just wonder why they don’t put GoF – I preferred GoF to OotP..

Posted by BewareoftheNargles {WBM} on August 23, 2009, 09:12 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

It’s so cool that HP movies are in the category of great sequels. PoA is my favorite movie (an equal favorite with SS but, that is not a sequel lol)
But, I wonder how the author of this article could say OoTP is dull? Or, that Yates cut out a lot of not much … I love OoTP the book and, in my opinion what was left out of the movie was in fact exciting and fascinating plot and storylines.

Posted by Moose_Starr on August 23, 2009, 09:43 AM report to moderator

"Pygmy Puffs," said George. "Miniature puffskeins, we can't breed them fast enough. So what about Michael Corner?"[br]"I dumped him, he was a bad loser," said Ginny, putting a finger through the bars of the cage and watching the Pygmy Puffs crowd around i