Harry Potter and the Great Sequels

Movies
August 22, 2009, 05:26 PM

Empire Magazine has a new feature online where they list the "50 Greatest Ever Movie Sequels" including two of the Harry Potter films. Coming in at number 15 was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix with the magazine: "David Yates took over the directing reins for this fifth film, based on the longest - and, some would say, dullest - book in the series, and knocked it out of the park. Excising large swathes of not much, he cut it down to one of the leanest films and delivered a barnstorming last act in the Ministry of Magic, with the sort of magical duels we'd been waiting four-and-a-half films to see."

The list also include Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, which is ranked at number 24. Of the the third Harry Potter film, the magazine has the following:

"Alfonso Cuaron took over from original director Christopher Columbus, and with the difficult task of world-building out of the way was able to take the story and run with it, making Potter feel like a real adventure story for the first time, and one taking place in somewhere bordering on the real world.
How does it stack up to the original? It's better than the previous two, and remains many people's favourite entry in the series. Potter's relationship with godfather Sirius Black (Gary Oldman) is beautifully played out, and one of the great "Hell yeah!"s comes when Hermione punches Draco Malfoy. It's also the first of the films to use a rather wonderful washed-out colour scheme, and to revel in its darkness.

Thanks Elliot!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Iconator_e5413e9850e2294d5bfb655a9ead163b_thumb

Ya…I think they should switch them. PoA is my favorite HP film to date and OotP is my least favorite.

Posted by PadfootLover4ever on August 22, 2009, 09:58 PM report to moderator

Dull? Did they read the book? It was definitely not dull!

Posted by Dawna on August 22, 2009, 10:04 PM report to moderator

Dull? Did they read the book? It was definitely not dull!

Posted by Dawna on August 22, 2009, 10:06 PM report to moderator

Dull? Did they read the book? It was definitely not dull!

Posted by Dawna on August 22, 2009, 10:10 PM report to moderator

Dull? Did they read the book? It was definitely not dull!

Posted by Dawna on August 22, 2009, 10:12 PM report to moderator
Morse_telegrapher_thumb

OotP is my favorite book even though I take 20 hours to read it. I am still waiting for the book to be made into a movie. SS and CoS movies are very close to the books and you have too look to find the differences. This, in my humble opinion, is the way a book should be made into a movie. PoA and GoF movies had some sub-stories deleted and details changed but were still easily recognized as coming from the books. OotP the movie is missing so much of OotP the book that I don’t bother to watch the movie. I would rather read the original story in the book. HBP is another story. I watched about 45 minutes of the movie and got up and left! I was surprised at the lack of a crowd in a mid-afternoon showing on Monday the 20th of July.(less than 10 including myself). If I bother to watch the HBP movie again, it will be by renting the DVD. Why waste $25 to buy it? As for DH, I will wait for the DVD.

Things missing or changed in the book to movie translation just bug me. For example: in GoF, the piece of paper with Harry’s name on it is yellow notebook paper with blue lines! The wizards of Harry’s world write with quill pen and ink on rolls of parchment. They don’t know what blue-lined paper is! This is one example of many. But it has turned me off of the movies. The only way I can regain the Real World of Harry Potter is to read the books and curse the digressing movies.

Posted by Phoenix1946 on August 22, 2009, 10:27 PM report to moderator
Hagrid_thumb

It’s difficult to compare a movie with the book it came from and NOT be disappointed. A book is unrestricted with the details it can provide in the telling of a story. Movies have time constraints, budgets, and numerous other restraints that keep the movie from being 100% TRUE to the book. Using Neville instead of Dobby to give Harry gillyweed, or to find the room of requirements is an example of a reasonable deviation from the book that provides the primary information needed to help the movie tell the same story.

That being said, the burning of the Burrow as a device to convey the danger of the times in the wizarding world when such an event never happened in the books is, in my opinion, an unreasonable deviation from the book. The time and money spent on that scene could have been put to better use somewhere else. Another unreasonable deviation is in the opening of HBP when Harry is flirting with the girl on the coffee shop. There was no need for that scene since it had nothing to do with the story that was written.

I try to enjoy the movies for what they are. An adaptation of books that I love. Knowing that, I am so far able to live with the movies with little complaint.

Posted by biiigbob on August 22, 2009, 11:08 PM report to moderator

I like many others am glad that the two movies made the list, and although the fifth book is not one of my favorites I don’t consider it dull. I don’t see how you could consider any of the Harry Potter series dull.

Posted by Elizabeth Taylor on August 22, 2009, 11:35 PM report to moderator

I agree with the comments here. How can Order of the Phoenix be the dullest??? Have the magazine ppl even read the book to compare it to the movie? The movie seemed alright, but it left out some significant details. I miss the REAL Dumbledore too!! Michael Gambon really needs to read the books.

Posted by anukritis on August 22, 2009, 11:51 PM report to moderator

David Yates is the worst director ever. Christopher Columbus and Alfonso Cuaron were the best.
Order of the Phoenix book was not dull in the slightest. The movie was certainly ruined by Yates.
He didn’t do much of a job on Half Blood Prince either. He removes everything of importance and fills it with stuff that is not even a part of the book.

Posted by DobbyWinkyKreacher on August 23, 2009, 12:01 AM report to moderator
Dragon-small_thumb

I’m sort of hoping my eyes read those descriptions incorrectly. OotP is definitely one of my favorite of the books and far from dull! The movie is a decent adaptation I suppose, and deserves to be up there. I hated the PoA movie though… But this is complete opinion, so oh well. :)

Posted by Wolfheart (WBM!) on August 23, 2009, 12:20 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_half_blood_prince_1__thumb

No book is dull. Ootp was awesome

Posted by chanman on August 23, 2009, 12:24 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_half_blood_prince_1__thumb

This may be the biggest collection of long comments I have ever seen

Posted by chanman on August 23, 2009, 12:27 AM report to moderator

i have to agree…
Harry Potter deserve it!! :)
and my favorite one is the Order of the Phoenix!!!

Posted by Narcissa Malfoy on August 23, 2009, 12:40 AM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

cool! i <3d POA

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on August 23, 2009, 12:52 AM report to moderator

And with a nasty squelching sound much like a plunger being pulled from a sink, he popped out his eye.[br]"Mad-Eye, you do know that's disgusting, don't you?" said Tonks conversationally.