Harry Potter and the Great Sequels

Movies
August 22, 2009, 05:26 PM

Empire Magazine has a new feature online where they list the "50 Greatest Ever Movie Sequels" including two of the Harry Potter films. Coming in at number 15 was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix with the magazine: "David Yates took over the directing reins for this fifth film, based on the longest - and, some would say, dullest - book in the series, and knocked it out of the park. Excising large swathes of not much, he cut it down to one of the leanest films and delivered a barnstorming last act in the Ministry of Magic, with the sort of magical duels we'd been waiting four-and-a-half films to see."

The list also include Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, which is ranked at number 24. Of the the third Harry Potter film, the magazine has the following:

"Alfonso Cuaron took over from original director Christopher Columbus, and with the difficult task of world-building out of the way was able to take the story and run with it, making Potter feel like a real adventure story for the first time, and one taking place in somewhere bordering on the real world.
How does it stack up to the original? It's better than the previous two, and remains many people's favourite entry in the series. Potter's relationship with godfather Sirius Black (Gary Oldman) is beautifully played out, and one of the great "Hell yeah!"s comes when Hermione punches Draco Malfoy. It's also the first of the films to use a rather wonderful washed-out colour scheme, and to revel in its darkness.

Thanks Elliot!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

The book is the longest and drags a tiny bit but i would never say it ws dull…jsut when it starts to feel like it’s getting dull exciting stuff happens.

POA is amazing i would have put that higher

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on August 22, 2009, 07:51 PM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

POA is amazing i would have put that higher

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on August 22, 2009, 07:53 PM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

POA is amazing i would have put that higher

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on August 22, 2009, 07:53 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

That’s pretty cool that POA and OOTP made the list… I actually would have put HBP on there too. HBP may not be as accurate as the others to the book, but it does have betters graphics and definitely better acting.

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on August 22, 2009, 07:57 PM report to moderator
Mcgonagalldh_thumb

There’s no such thing as a dull Harry Potter book!

Posted by iamminerva on August 22, 2009, 08:00 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

I personally LOVE all the movies!! I think each director has done a wonderful job capturing the books. I think my absolute favorites are probably POA, OOTP, and HBP though so it’s nice to see two of those made the list. I just love how Yates and Cuaron added their own artistic touch to those films…they didn’t stick to the books word for word like Columbus and Newell did. But alas, I love them all.

Posted by cghambright on August 22, 2009, 08:18 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

I think some people think OOTP is dull because it’s the longest and most of the book is Harry’s thoughts on how much his life sucks (which is true) and how much no one understands him (which they dont).

Even JK Rowling has said that if she could re-edit one book it would be OOTP because she was up against a deadline and had just had a baby when she wrote that book so I don’t think she really had time to “savor” it like she did with the others. But it’s not dull. I love OOTP.

Posted by cghambright on August 22, 2009, 08:27 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

so cool!! im glad 2 of them at least made the list.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on August 22, 2009, 08:35 PM report to moderator
Wicca_thumb

I am happy that they are counting 2 of Harry’s movies on the list, but I think that all of the movies are better than the ones previous. HBP rules!!!!!

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on August 22, 2009, 08:44 PM report to moderator
Imgres_1__thumb

I wasn’t entirely impressed by either movies, although they were good, i thought they could be better.
Ootp deserves it though

Posted by mjkalldaway (ROAR) on August 22, 2009, 08:56 PM report to moderator
Crumbling_grandure_by_blackcat135_thumb

Got to agree with what most people have said OOTP is in no way a “dull” book, but oh well. It was indeed a good film, personally I’ve never been that keen on POA the film and in fact its never even been by any leap my favourite book, I know, I know I’ve just commited fandom blastphomy lol, still as an adaption of the book it was still a LOT better than GOF which still remains the greatest atrocity of the film series so far.

Posted by SuzyLee on August 22, 2009, 09:00 PM report to moderator
Mac3_thumb
1925 Points

3 & 6 are my favs!

Posted by Parkinsonpansy on August 22, 2009, 09:03 PM report to moderator
Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

I didn’t think OotP was a dull book! It was one of my favorites! The movie was a bit wanting tho. Too much deviation from canon to my liking.

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on August 22, 2009, 09:03 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

It was only dull to them because it was big. People usually now adays can only read very small books. Its ridiculas. OOTP is one of my favourite!!!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on August 22, 2009, 09:25 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on August 22, 2009, 09:26 PM report to moderator

"Muggle magic tricks!" said Fred happily, pointing them out. "For freaks like Dad, you know, who love Muggle stuff. It's not a big earner, but we do fairly steady business, they're great novelties."