Harry Potter and the Great Sequels

Movies
August 22, 2009, 05:26 PM

Empire Magazine has a new feature online where they list the "50 Greatest Ever Movie Sequels" including two of the Harry Potter films. Coming in at number 15 was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix with the magazine: "David Yates took over the directing reins for this fifth film, based on the longest - and, some would say, dullest - book in the series, and knocked it out of the park. Excising large swathes of not much, he cut it down to one of the leanest films and delivered a barnstorming last act in the Ministry of Magic, with the sort of magical duels we'd been waiting four-and-a-half films to see."

The list also include Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, which is ranked at number 24. Of the the third Harry Potter film, the magazine has the following:

"Alfonso Cuaron took over from original director Christopher Columbus, and with the difficult task of world-building out of the way was able to take the story and run with it, making Potter feel like a real adventure story for the first time, and one taking place in somewhere bordering on the real world.
How does it stack up to the original? It's better than the previous two, and remains many people's favourite entry in the series. Potter's relationship with godfather Sirius Black (Gary Oldman) is beautifully played out, and one of the great "Hell yeah!"s comes when Hermione punches Draco Malfoy. It's also the first of the films to use a rather wonderful washed-out colour scheme, and to revel in its darkness.

Thanks Elliot!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Downsized_0124001234a_thumb

How is OOTP dull?
Whatever…at least it is on the list [:

Posted by Olivia Elaine a.k.a Agent Pomplamoose on August 22, 2009, 06:25 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

I enjoyed all the movies, but felt that the last movie seemed to have a flat ending. It isn’t easy making a movie when fans know every plot nuance and love the books so much.

Posted by Fresca ROAR on August 22, 2009, 06:30 PM report to moderator
Img_7524_thumb

I personally hate the washed-out color scheme of the later films. That’s one of the things the first two movies definitely did right. Even though it might be a little darker because they use candles instead of electricity, Hogwarts and the entire Wizarding world should be full of vibrant color.

Posted by RavenclawDancer on August 22, 2009, 06:35 PM report to moderator
Harry_and_ginny_thumb

That’s great. Those are my 2 favourite HP movies, so I’m glad they were the ones on the list. Well, HBP is my very favourite but it’s new so I didn’t expect it to be on there. I checked out the whole list and agreed with almost all of it. Gotta love Empire!

Posted by Harry's Horntail on August 22, 2009, 06:38 PM report to moderator

I like all of um, but 5th deffinetly is not the dullest book if you are a true harry potter fan… O well.

Anyways im glad Harry Potter on there.. and Part 1 and 2… 7 will be to

Posted by madman1277 on August 22, 2009, 06:41 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

id say the best was CoS, after HBP of course :P

Posted by chocolaterabbits on August 22, 2009, 06:51 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

id say the best was CoS, after HBP of course :P

Posted by chocolaterabbits on August 22, 2009, 06:51 PM report to moderator
P1010036_thumb

OOTP was not the dullest book of the series! I could not put it down. I cried like a baby when Sirius died. It was a great book. Took us to other places besides Hogwarts. It is still my favorite. I agree with DrishtiChoudhury Not enough cannon in the movies. Stop making stuff up. Chris Columbus got is right with the first two movies and we had Richard Harris who played Dumbledore to a T. We also had John Williams. Dull book. You don’t know what you are talking about. signed: Outraged!!!!!!

Posted by Tonks1OoM4,CW[ROAR] on August 22, 2009, 06:54 PM report to moderator

Who says its the dullest book in the series? I doubt this dude has even read a single harry potter book, what an idiot. It’s my 2nd favorite book in the series. I thought the 5th movie was the worst HP movie actually.
They need a new writer I think.

Posted by nine9isfine on August 22, 2009, 06:58 PM report to moderator

I think the first 2 movies were by far the best, they got the atmosphere, and the characters of the HP world down PERFECTLY, even if they were very cheesy.
Then it started getting weird with the 3rd film….

Posted by nine9isfine on August 22, 2009, 07:02 PM report to moderator
Baron_haru___shall_we_dance____by_jasminealexandra_thumb

OOTP A GREAT SEQUAL?!!!!!! THEY’RE NUTS!!!!!!
although i do agree on the point of Azkaban

Posted by Ganduean-Vampiress on August 22, 2009, 07:08 PM report to moderator

The OOTP wasn’t dull!! The best of the book series is the last one DH. I love reading the last book. :)

Posted by smgkkg on August 22, 2009, 07:15 PM report to moderator

Cool! I loved PoA, not OotP so much, and the book is not dull. They should all be on there! :-)

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on August 22, 2009, 07:18 PM report to moderator
Violentlyviolet2_thumb

It’s great that the reviewers are so positive about those two movies :) I really like them too.

In all fairness, whilst I know loads of HP fans adore OOTP, I personally found book a bit slow going for the first several hundred pages, and only really started to appreciate it after the third time I read it. I like it very much now, but there are some of us “true Harry Potter fans” who find that one slightly harder work – it’s personal preference of course, everyone has their own take on which is the best! That said, I think GoF the movie is a bit under-appreciated!

Posted by oj. on August 22, 2009, 07:31 PM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

The book is the longest and drags a tiny bit but i would never say it ws dull…jsut when it starts to feel like it’s getting dull exciting stuff happens.

POA is amazing i would have put that higher

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on August 22, 2009, 07:49 PM report to moderator

"Skrewts doing all right, Hagrid?" Harry called.[br]"Thrivin'," Hagrid called back happily.[br]"Yeah, I'll just bet they are," said Ron quietly. "Looks like they've finally found a food they like, doesn't it? Hagrid's fingers."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014