Harry Potter and the Great Sequels

Movies
August 22, 2009, 05:26 PM

Empire Magazine has a new feature online where they list the "50 Greatest Ever Movie Sequels" including two of the Harry Potter films. Coming in at number 15 was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix with the magazine: "David Yates took over the directing reins for this fifth film, based on the longest - and, some would say, dullest - book in the series, and knocked it out of the park. Excising large swathes of not much, he cut it down to one of the leanest films and delivered a barnstorming last act in the Ministry of Magic, with the sort of magical duels we'd been waiting four-and-a-half films to see."

The list also include Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, which is ranked at number 24. Of the the third Harry Potter film, the magazine has the following:

"Alfonso Cuaron took over from original director Christopher Columbus, and with the difficult task of world-building out of the way was able to take the story and run with it, making Potter feel like a real adventure story for the first time, and one taking place in somewhere bordering on the real world.
How does it stack up to the original? It's better than the previous two, and remains many people's favourite entry in the series. Potter's relationship with godfather Sirius Black (Gary Oldman) is beautifully played out, and one of the great "Hell yeah!"s comes when Hermione punches Draco Malfoy. It's also the first of the films to use a rather wonderful washed-out colour scheme, and to revel in its darkness.

Thanks Elliot!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I am pleased that they included both of these spectacular films on their list. Each of them enhanced and improved this franchise wonderfully.

Posted by Kirk on August 22, 2009, 05:38 PM report to moderator
Img_0211__2__thumb

Hmmm. I liked the Order of the Phoenix movie (just like I liked them all), but I can’t say it was my favorite. The dullest book however? For me, the book was one of my favorite in the series. Long, but exciting and I loved the darkness of it all and the way Harry was finally allowed to be angry and combative.

Posted by sueml on August 22, 2009, 05:40 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I still think “Chamber Of Secrets” was the best of the movies… Truest to canon, and had the REAL Dumbledore…

Posted by Won_Two on August 22, 2009, 05:46 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

I was about to check that email!!! I get newsletters from them :)
I personally don’t agree with OotP being the dullest but its just my opinion :)
Hell Yeah! when Hermione punched Malfoy! That was the highlight of the movie :P
But YAY!! Harry Potter is on there!!! Well of course it would be!!! But still!!! :):)

Cp1_0612091948_1__thumb

I think they were both fantastic movies but I have to agree with Won_Two, Chamber of Secrets was my favorite!

Posted by BriePotter on August 22, 2009, 05:57 PM report to moderator
Lunagreen_thumb

All of them should be on the list! well, except Sorceror’s Stone, lol…GoF is my favorite…and OotP was a great book…whatever, its all opinion :) and good to see that they recognize the quality of the films!

Posted by Flora Lovegood {<3WBM<3} on August 22, 2009, 05:58 PM report to moderator
3_thumb

OOTP IS NEITHER DULL OR FULL OF NOT MUCH.
Stupid reviewers.

Posted by Michelle on August 22, 2009, 06:02 PM report to moderator
Images_4__thumb

I didn’t find Order of the Phoenix (novel) dull!!! I’m glad Prisoner of Azkaban made the list, it was my favourite movie until the 6th came out!

Posted by crazyforSeverus on August 22, 2009, 06:04 PM report to moderator
Dsc01855_thumb

I love POA. It’s hilarious. I only re-watched it a few weeks ago leading up to the release of Hbp and I was surprised that I has forgotten how great it was!

Posted by jessh324 on August 22, 2009, 06:07 PM report to moderator

Funnily enough, these are my two least favorite films. Eh.

Posted by GreenLightening on August 22, 2009, 06:07 PM report to moderator
Hapbunpic_thumb

I’m boycotting the HP movies for now. I’m really irritated with the whole cutting-canon-out and making-their-own-stuff-up. It’s actually pretty much just HBP that caused this. I loved the movie as a movie, but I hated it as a HP movie. If I hadn’t ever read the Harry Potter series, I probably would have thought it was brilliant. But (fortunately/unfortunately) I have read the books, so… =/
(This Is My Opinion. If You Don’t Like It, Forget About It; Don’t Complain To Me, Please. Thank You…)
-DrishtiChoudhury

Posted by DrishtiChoudhury on August 22, 2009, 06:11 PM report to moderator
9ronhermione_thumb

i love those two films so much, so cheers, Empire.

Posted by biggestharrypotterfan on August 22, 2009, 06:17 PM report to moderator
Downsized_0124001234a_thumb

How is OOTP dull?
Whatever…at least it is on the list [:

Posted by Olivia Elaine a.k.a Agent Pomplamoose on August 22, 2009, 06:18 PM report to moderator
Downsized_0124001234a_thumb

How is OOTP dull?
Whatever…at least it is on the list [:

Posted by Olivia Elaine a.k.a Agent Pomplamoose on August 22, 2009, 06:22 PM report to moderator

Prisoner of Azkaban is probably my least favourite of the movies but i did like Order of the Phoenix

Posted by Smonocco on August 22, 2009, 06:25 PM report to moderator

"Master, we crave to know... we beg you to tell us... how you have achieved this... this miracle... how you managed to return to us..."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014